Talk

Advanced search

to consider this job?

(25 Posts)
happybus28 Tue 05-Jan-16 08:36:58

I have worked for the same company for 10 years, I am bored and unchallanged in my current role and there isn't any room for progression. I get 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays and work 2 Saturday's out of 4. I have a 1 hour each way commute by bus every day which costs £75 per month in bus fares. I leave home at 7:30 am and am home about 6:15pm 5 days per week.

My husband works Monday to Friday. Same holiday allowance as me. He works 10 mins down the road so no real commute. We have no DCs yet but plan to start a family within the next couple of years.

I have a interview on Thursday for a job that sounds perfect for me and I am really excited about. It is much closer to home meaning me and DH will be able to share a lift so no more bus fares and horrible hour long commutes which will be great. It is the same pay as I get now but when you take into account the money we would save on me travelling we will be better off financially. It's a entry position & seems like room for progression so much more chance of my salary increasing in the future than where I am now.

My issue is that the new job involves working every Saturday and they are also open bank holidays. I would be off on Tuesday's. My concern about this is the reduction of family time with DH as we would then only have 1 day per week to spend together and no bank holidays either. We haven't been married that long so are still enjoying spending time together and we cherish the weekends I do get off. The new job is less holidays also.

Sorry this is long I suppose it's more of a WWYD? AIBU for considering it when it will have a negative impact on my time with DH?

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Tue 05-Jan-16 08:40:08

I'd go for the interview and then you'll have more information about the job plus a feel for the place too. At the moment you're open minded, but undecided, the interview may make up your mind if it's worth it.

If you get offered the job then do your serious consideration about how the hours'll impact on your private life.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Tue 05-Jan-16 08:45:31

I don't think you are. In your position I would certainly interview for the role. Presumably you would be get more time together in the evenings? I've always worked weekends & bank hols. If you're used to getting them off it will be an adjustment initially but you will get used to it. It sounds likr this position has scope for growth which is what you want.

Karoleann Tue 05-Jan-16 08:47:37

It will be fine (not great, but fine), as long as you aren't used to having weekends away to see family etc. You'll also get to see your DH on the bus in the morning.

I would check at the interview to make sure though that you don't need to book a full week of holidays to get a Saturday off, otherwise its a complete pain if you're invited to a wedding.

I used to work every Saturday and some bank holidays before we had children, and you just get used to it, although it was one of the reasons that job didn't work out after I had children. You may find as you become more senior that the number of Saturdays reduces or stops altogether.

happybus28 Tue 05-Jan-16 08:55:56

Yes we would get more time together in the evenings which will be great and the Saturday hours are 10-4 so not a full day, with it being so close to home i would be home by 4:15 so wouldn't affect evening plans etc.

I think when we have DC I would probably end up having to work Saturdays anyway as it would be a day I could work that we wouldnt need childcare.

I think it's just that we have got used to having weekends/bank hols together so it'll just be a adjustment initially. I agree I need to go the interview and get a feel for the company/job and see how I feel then. In some ways it will have a positive impact on my life (less commuting, saving money) but a negative in others (Saturday's/bank hols) so I just need to weigh it up!

jimijack Tue 05-Jan-16 08:56:45

Think long term, if you are planning on kids especially.

Family time will go out of the window anyway when kids come along. You will be needing to take the majority of your holidays separately to cover school holidays, so you will have 4 years of holiday time together until kids go to school so you can enjoy that.

As your dh does not work bank holidays, child care will always be covered on that day (it's a real worry unless you have family/friends nearby that can help out)

Working closer to home is better for sickness, emergency pick ups, getting home earlier to do the 5000 jobs that need doing, you can prevent that issue of sorting tea out, putting a wash on, cleaning up until midnight every night.

Go for it, for the long term plan it makes good sense.

BarbaraofSeville Tue 05-Jan-16 09:08:53

On balance, I would go for the new job and make sure I made the most of the one day a week off together with the DH. You might also enjoy having a day per week totally to yourself.

Also, might the holiday allowance increase in time in the new job? Sometimes you start on the minimum and get extra days after 2/5/10 years.

Can your DH sometimes have days off in the week to do things together? You still have evenings and are spending less time working/commuting overall so you would just have to make the most of your time. Not having 2 hours a day on the bus would be a big bonus.

It's often good to do things in the week instead of the weekend as places are quiter and sometimes cheaper too.

happybus28 Tue 05-Jan-16 12:17:54

Thanks for your replies. It helps to see if from a different perspective!

The only way DH could have a day off in the week would be for him to take it as annual leave but I think he would do this on occasion if we arranged something. I think I worry that I'll end up using a lot of my annual leave booking Saturday's off which won't leave much for taking a week here and there too. I'm going to go for the interview and find out more and see how I feel then! I am leaning towards it being a good idea in the long term should I get offered it.

whois Tue 05-Jan-16 13:22:19

Go for it, and if you get it you cna make the most of your one day with DH and also see him as soon as he finished on Tuesdays.

Also one less day to pay childcare for if you do get the job and have kids since you can look after them on Tuesdays and DH on Saturdays.

Kittykatmacbill Tue 05-Jan-16 13:45:23

But you have more of the evening together and travel together so maybe not as nice time but still time.

Also could you plan to take annual leave together say a Monday Tuesday and have a long weekend together? Or see if he could wangle to leave earlier or start late on a Tuesday?

Sounds a good job, I wouldn't worry about it until you have the job offer!

thelittleredhen Tue 05-Jan-16 14:09:01

I think that it sounds good - and you working on a Saturday when DH is off, and DH working on Tuesdays when you're off means that you both get 1-2-1 time with the children.

unimaginativename13 Tue 05-Jan-16 14:24:49

Are you planning to get pregnant?

I was just like you, moved jobs, fell pregnant.

In hindsight I should have stayed put to get good maternity.

Then think what would suit you when you have a child.

If the new job is more money and it'll benefit you then take it.

scarlets Tue 05-Jan-16 14:27:41

You may be able to "buy" additional leave days, which you could take on the occasional Saturday. My old workplace offered this.

happybus28 Tue 05-Jan-16 17:34:10

unimaginative we aren't planning TTC until the end of the year, possibly into next year so I'm not too concerned about maternity pay etc at the moment but it is something I need to bare in mind yes.

TeaFathers Tue 05-Jan-16 17:46:18

Go for the interview, regardless of how you feel now.
if you are successful at interview, you can see what you think then.
the interview is good practice, no matter how things turn out.
i'd be tempted to take the job, should you be offered it.
you can always change again down the line, if its not quite for you.

Asskicker Tue 05-Jan-16 17:54:52

I would go for the interview.

Tbh it sounds perfect to me. I would love a day off a week all to myself. I used to have this, I miss it loads.

Will you have to work every bank holiday? Is that confirmed? A lot of places rotate bank holidays, so you at least get one or two off.

happybus28 Tue 05-Jan-16 19:17:05

asskicker no that isn't confirmed yet no so I'm holding out hope that they rotate it and I'd at least get a couple off! The annual leave is 28 days but I figure this includes bank holidays so would have to use a days annual leave to have a bank holiday off which isn't a problem.

I'm worried about asking too much about it at interview as I don't want to come across as though I'm only interested in what's in it for me if that makes sense? Although it is important so I'll have to try and get it across somehow! I'm a bit out of practice with interviews so a bit nervous!

DonttouchthatLarry Tue 05-Jan-16 21:04:31

The Saturday hours don't sound too bad - time for a leisurely breakfast together and plenty of time in the evening when you get home. And housework, food shopping and other chores can be done by you on Tuesdays or your DH on Saturdays so you can make the most of your Sundays together. It's actually really handy having a weekday off to do things like get your car serviced or go to the bank, it's quieter than Saturdays.

And of course you need to find out what's in it for you - you're not going to work there to do them a favour wink. Good luck!

MammaTJ Tue 05-Jan-16 21:34:39

You will have every evening and one day a week. That is not bad. A lot of people cope with one of the couple working shifts and not seeing each other much at all.

The extra money would more than make up for the loss of two Saturdays a month for me!

You might even find your alone Tuesdays and his alone Saturdays strengthen your marriage!

Asskicker Wed 06-Jan-16 13:05:01

Just ask about the bank holidays. Simply say, is it every bank holiday or is it rotated.

Honestly having every evening and one day a week together is fairly normal.

Having a day without each other isn't the end of the world.

I honestly would go for it, from what you said.

Good luck whatever you decide thanks

helenahandbag Wed 06-Jan-16 13:14:36

I work Monday - Friday and DP works Saturdays with a day off midweek.

We both enjoy it! I see him in the evenings and we get Sunday together but I get Saturday to myself and he gets his midweek day off to himself. I think it's important for your sanity to have a few hours of Netflix with PJs on, pancakes for breakfast and nobody chattering at you grin

CurlyBlueberry Wed 06-Jan-16 13:27:31

It sounds like a good move to me. It might also be an option for you to occasionally have a Saturday off but work a Tuesday instead to make up for it. Even if not, I would LOVE to have a day off to myself and one to spend with a husband/partner every week, sounds like total bliss (I have two kids now so have them on my days off).

Gottagetmoving Wed 06-Jan-16 13:31:27

Sounds really good to me. It will be ideal once you have children, so look to the future.
Lots of couples work all week and have separate hobbies on Saturdays. You will get used to it.

happybus28 Wed 06-Jan-16 16:28:24

Thank you for your advice ladies! Interview is tomorrow. I'm nervous but excited too!!! I'll let you all know how I get on.

Asskicker Wed 06-Jan-16 17:47:54

Good luck OP thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now