Talk

Advanced search

To disagree with the NHS ticker and think for many breadtfeeding is most certainly not a great way to strengthen the bond between you and your baby

(301 Posts)
Washediris Mon 04-Jan-16 08:12:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OpiesOldLady Mon 04-Jan-16 08:18:37

YABU.

Just because you didn't enjoy it doesn't mean every other breastfeeding mother didn't.

Palomb Mon 04-Jan-16 08:22:39

Having bottle fed my first and breast fed my second it is entirely true for me. Of course the bond I have with my children is the same now they are older but when they were babies I had a completely different bond with the one I breastfed.

Cornelialovett Mon 04-Jan-16 08:23:00

Well I agree. I could BF but still didn't enjoy it. Unlike the majority of mn it seems I wanted to be able to have a break and let someone else ( DH or grandparents) take over.
Of course I've been here for long enough to know you won't get a mass consensus on this. But I standby happy mum happy baby = bonding and that will differ for everyone.
But it irritates me that the NHS is generalising.

SexDrugsAndSausageRoll Mon 04-Jan-16 08:23:14

I love breast feeding, my happiest times are milky cuddles and I haven't ever had a hint of an issue with it.

Not massively interested though what others choose to do if I'm honest. I'm not even sure what this 'ticket' is. Advice? Or is there something I haven't seen?

Cornelialovett Mon 04-Jan-16 08:23:34

Agree with the op I mean.

MoMoTy Mon 04-Jan-16 08:25:29

Yabu your personal experience doesn't mean that 'for many' it isn't so.

ShackleForAnOldExLeper Mon 04-Jan-16 08:27:31

YABU the NHS could save millions per year if more people breastfed (I think I read the figure is 4million) so they are very right to promote it for economic reasons if nothing else.

I personally after having one bottle fed one breastfeed definitely feel a different bond with my breastfed baby. It's not about love I love them both more than words it's a physical attachment that no matter how much I try to deny it is there. Others may disagree but this is how I feel.

Washediris Mon 04-Jan-16 08:27:31

SparklyTinselTits Mon 04-Jan-16 08:29:09

I do agree to an extent.
I think the NHS make breastfeeding out to be the easiest thing in the world and everyone will have a great time if they do it "properly" - that's the message I got from my my MW.
I did it for a few weeks with my DD, and apart from the first few feeds, I really did not enjoy it.
I think the worst part of it for me was not being able to share the workload with DH. I was tired and grumpy all the time which was not fair on anyone. Once we switched to formula, I felt like I was doing a better job as a mum because I was well rested, whereas when I was BF my DD had a zombie for a mum.
I don't feel bad about formula feeding, but I will always have a pang of jealously towards the mothers and babies who take to breastfeeding like a duck to water!

cantgonofurther Mon 04-Jan-16 08:30:46

True for me. It took 7 weeks to establish breastfeeding due to tongue tie but very glad we got through it as have had an amazing breastfeeding relationship with my ds. I bottle fed my first and find breastfeeding more rewarding.

ShackleForAnOldExLeper Mon 04-Jan-16 08:31:07

Let's not forget the NHS is a HEALTH organisation it has been scientifically proven breastfeeding is healthier for mother and baby. Whilst there is a small percentage of mothers for whom breastfeeding is not possible (including mental health) for the majority it should be promoted.

ShackleForAnOldExLeper Mon 04-Jan-16 08:32:12

Perhaps the problem is the way it's promoted within the NHS that is the problem??

Washediris Mon 04-Jan-16 08:32:31

SexDrugsAndSausageRoll Mon 04-Jan-16 08:32:56

I forgot to say, although i breast fed I also give occasional bottles. I think mix feeding is the biggest taboo. I've been told multiple times it won't work and no one seems to relate. People get so passionate there's one right way. I also give formula rather than expressing, simply because if I'm busy/out it's more spontaneous to give formula.

Washediris Mon 04-Jan-16 08:33:17

Acorncat Mon 04-Jan-16 08:33:21

I certainly didn't enjoy the first couple of months but after that I do feel it has strengthened our bond. He's not a cuddly one so its the only chance we get to snuggle! I wasn't aware of the NHS ticker though and actually don't know what a ticker is but I imagine for those that enjoy breastfeeding, they will feel it strengthens the bond so YABU.

Washediris Mon 04-Jan-16 08:34:18

budgiegirl Mon 04-Jan-16 08:34:25

OP, YANBU. There are lots of reasons to breastfeed, that's true, but emotional blackmail for new parents should not one of them.

Parents will bond with their babies, however they feed them.

CuttedUpPear Mon 04-Jan-16 08:36:19

It certainly helped me bond. 6 weeks isn't very long. Babies change a lot after this age and really start to relate to their surroundings more. So I got the advantage of all of the closeness and cuddles by bfing til 10 months.
The pain and difficulty of the first month as much babies learnt to bf was worth going through.

YABU since you asked.

MumCodes Mon 04-Jan-16 08:36:21

Speaking personally (while BFing DD), it does strengthen your bond with the baby, because you're the only one who can do night feeds, has to be on call 24/7, so your bond with everyone else suffers. Roll on weaning! I need sleep.

Sleepybunny Mon 04-Jan-16 08:36:22

Reminds me of a thread I started recently.

[http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/breast_and_bottle_feeding/2525184-Breastfeeding-is-shit?pg=4&order=]

I think feeding your baby regardless of method is bonding <sits on fence>
But I agree about avoiding putting pressure on women who may not find it enjoyable or convenient.

DixieNormas Mon 04-Jan-16 08:36:28

I bf ds4 for nearly 3 years, the bond I have with him is no different to the bond I have with his ff brothers.

Sleepybunny Mon 04-Jan-16 08:36:45

Link fail oops

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now