Talk

Advanced search

I'll burn your bloody sign!

(46 Posts)
cranberryx Sun 03-Jan-16 21:34:39

I probably am being unreasonable but just wanted an opinion.

We bought a downstairs flat 2 years ago, the upstairs flat had a 'to let' sign by their steps (technically on our driveway) when we moved in. Speaking to upstairs, they had lived their 3 months and the sign never got collected. I just assumed that upstairs would deal with it, it's not been impacting my life and it's not my sign so I haven't been too bothered about.

The sign has been there almost 2 years now, and two tenants. Recently in the high winds it has fallen down into the middle of our driveway, so we moved it to the side and spoke to the new upstairs neighbours about getting it removed. They haven't had much luck with the estate agents who said they would collect it "when they get around to it."

My elderly father, who has recently had back surgery and doesn't have very good eyesight got out of my car today and slipped on the sign! I am sick of this bloody sign!!

I have emailed the estate agent and told them if they don't remove it in 24 hours, I will burn it. I was polite but specified that "I will dispose of it by burning it."

DP said this was a bit extreme and that sleepless nights with a newborn are taking their tool. I think I am justified and fully plan to burn the sign (in the log stove, although I didn't say that!)

AIBU?

Palomb Sun 03-Jan-16 21:35:47

I'm surprised you have lasted this long tbh!

gBean Sun 03-Jan-16 21:35:50

I'd have binned it within days of moving in tbh. YANBU

Eebahgum Sun 03-Jan-16 21:36:49

Of course you are! 2 years is plenty of time. They're not going to collect it.

5BlueHydrangea Sun 03-Jan-16 21:37:20

I think you're justified. The estate agents clearly have no intention of collecting it.
I had this when we last moved house. After several polite requests for the sign to be collected I angrily threatened to chop it up and dump the bits in their office. Funnily enough it was collected not long after...

MuttonDressedAsMutton Sun 03-Jan-16 21:37:29

They won't come to collect this - trust me on this one! Just dispose of it and if by some crazy wild chance they DO show up just feign complete ignorance!

thefourgp Sun 03-Jan-16 21:37:53

I wouldn't have warned the estate agent. Better getting rid of it in the middle of the night then denying all knowledge. If they wanted it back they wouldn't have left it lying for two years. X

CallieTorres Sun 03-Jan-16 21:38:37

just bin it

LimitedSedition Sun 03-Jan-16 21:41:45

Stick it in your car (if you have one) and take it to their office.

Arfarfanarf Sun 03-Jan-16 21:42:11

I think they hope to keep them up so that people will ring to enquire and they can say oh sorry that one's just gone but we have a few very similar...

cranberryx Sun 03-Jan-16 21:42:54

I'm glad I am not BU! DP had me wondering for a second!

I plan to give them 24 hours and then may do what PP have suggested and drop it off outside their office! Surely those signs cost money?

Iwanttokillthem Sun 03-Jan-16 21:44:06

Most people I know have just uprooted the sign and thrown it alongside the fence on the day they moved in.

Just burn it

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Sun 03-Jan-16 21:44:46

If they usually have short term or student lets they might just leave it up permanently. But it's on your part of the property and now causing an obstruction so it's not ok. Yanbu to destroy it

MuttonDressedAsMutton Sun 03-Jan-16 21:45:14

They do cost money - but each and every one is paid for by being written into the costs for acting as agents for a property. So the landlord pays, and probably the tenant pays too! Estate agents - I do not have much of an opinion of them!

Janeymoo50 Sun 03-Jan-16 21:45:16

Yep, drop it off outside their office. Hope your dad is ok.

Osmiornica Sun 03-Jan-16 21:46:02

We had one outside our house (not for our house though) for ages. It fell down in the wind one day and was just left on the grass verge. I called the estate agents and they promised to get someone out to sort it. They did. They came and threw the bloody thing into our garden! Cheeky sods. I kept ringing them till they got shot of the thing. They have no bloody right to just litter the place with them - they put them up so they should collect them.

BackInTheRealWorld Sun 03-Jan-16 21:47:37

2 YEARS? HAhahahA omg why on earth are you still waiting for anyone else to deal with this? HAhahahA!!

BlueRaptor Sun 03-Jan-16 21:48:27

Burn it.

FesterAddams Sun 03-Jan-16 21:50:12

I have previously in a similar situation just dumped it outside their office.
It shouldn't be your problem - so make it their problem.

cranberryx Sun 03-Jan-16 21:52:06

backintherealworld as said in the OP, it was up and wasn't hurting anyone and wasn't even on my property. It only fell down a week ago and has been left in my driveway. Why would I chase an estate agent for my neighbours who mentioned they were dealing with it?

VenusInFauxFurs Sun 03-Jan-16 21:52:48

You were unreasonable to have phoned them. You should have just burnt it/taken it to the tip months ago. Now you have to give them a couple of days at least to collect the thing.

You've put up with it this long. Wait til next weekend, I reckon. Then burn the thing.

Smash the thing up first though. If you stick it back in the ground and then set light to it, it could inadvertently look a bit Klu-Klux-Klan-y. smile

londonrach Sun 03-Jan-16 21:52:58

Just bin it. After 2 years they will have forgotten about it.

WorraLiberty Sun 03-Jan-16 21:54:42

God I would have taken it to the dump long ago.

cranberryx Sun 03-Jan-16 21:54:59

Venus I am pmsl at the idea of burning it on my driveway, agreed it would not come across well! grin

cranberryx Sun 03-Jan-16 21:56:39

Just to clarify it was up and nailed next to my upstairs neighbours front steps until about a week ago. So even though it's been up 2 years it only fell down just before xmas. I think a week of it in my driveway isn't unreasonable to wait (I hope!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now