We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think if Muslims were responsible for this it would be rolling news coverage

(26 Posts)
DadKeepsCalm1 Sun 03-Jan-16 15:51:02

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/03/oregon-militia-threatens-showdown-with-us-agents-at-wildlife-refuge

Over 150 armed miltia men take control of government building. It's barely being covered over here.

DadKeepsCalm1 Sun 03-Jan-16 15:51:28

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/03/oregon-militia-threatens-showdown-with-us-agents-at-wildlife-refuge

Caprinihahahaha Sun 03-Jan-16 15:53:55

You think if Muslims threatened a site but nothing much happened and most people went home, it would be front page news?

Ok.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 03-Jan-16 15:56:09

I'm sure I haven't quite got the whole picture but why do hundreds of white people with guns marching around, or white people with guns in Walmart, not get shot and/or locked up when 12 year old Black boys with toy guns get shot? Am I missing something major or is the racism and prejudice THAT all-encompassing.

And yes, if 150 Muslims took control of a government building with guns in their possession they would nuke it. From space.

DadKeepsCalm1 Sun 03-Jan-16 15:59:57

Very good point Mrs.

Cloppysow Sun 03-Jan-16 16:02:34

I thought exactly the same OP.

ghostyslovesheep Sun 03-Jan-16 16:04:24

YANBU OP

Caprinihahahaha Sun 03-Jan-16 16:04:29

2 of you then.

Pannn Sun 03-Jan-16 16:07:12

another one here.

Thank goodness for gun control in the UK. The U.S. is utterly bonkers.

Shirkingfromhome Sun 03-Jan-16 16:07:26

You might want to read the article a little more closely. It's federal land that has been occupied, and the 'militia' are right-wing constitutionalists. It's a protest regarding farming rights (burning land so fresh grass grows for cattle which has caused fires on nearby wildlife reserves).

Why have you extrapolated this situation to Muslims? It makes no sense.

Shirkingfromhome Sun 03-Jan-16 16:09:53

Sorry just re-read it myself blush

LumpySpacedPrincess Sun 03-Jan-16 16:13:43

It's barely being reported in the US, luckily it's all over Twitter.

I notice a group of white guys are called Militia as opposed to terrorists, blatant racism.

Youarentkiddingme Sun 03-Jan-16 16:14:30

No being Muslims makes no difference. There was an incident on Boxing Day involving over 20 victims - it's been reported that the BBC were banned from covering it.

Some things don't make the news. Media is worldwide, massive population and masses of news daily. It's a decision what makes headlines. It will be influenced by funding backers etc as well.

I've not read the story but hope everyone involved is ok.

Coldlightofday Sun 03-Jan-16 16:16:51

I agree OP.

figureofspeech Sun 03-Jan-16 16:17:25

Shirking I think what the op is trying to get across is the double standard attitude of US policy towards Muslims. If Muslims had done something similar it definitely would have been on front page news with headlines screaming ISIS etc.
The 'militia' are most likely to be right wing Donald Trump supporters tbh.

TenTinyTadpoles Sun 03-Jan-16 16:27:14

YANBU.

Shirkingfromhome Sun 03-Jan-16 16:27:47

Thanks figureofspeech I realised after I'd posted. And yes, after a bit more reading I'd agree.

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Sun 03-Jan-16 16:30:11

If. Big if. What if this "militia" were Chinese, Peruvians or aliens from outer space?

The premise of this thread is a complete nonsense.

Cutleryhands Sun 03-Jan-16 16:33:43

This is why they will never control guns. Because they strongly believe they should be able to take arms against their own government when they aren't happy.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt Sun 03-Jan-16 16:36:34

I'm not sure, and to me there's almost an element of inverse racism in what's been posted.

Those doing the occupying were white Americans opposing the forces of their own country. Their cause was known, nothing to do with religion but with aspects of local politics.

Had the same size group of Muslims held up a government building in an Islamic state, and for the same reasons, there would have been no coverage either.

If that group of Muslims had occupied a US building for the same reason their might have been a little more coverage, but I'm not sure. And I doubt they'd be shouting ISIS in this particular instance.

Gun ownership and ideas of control through force are nothing new in certain sections of America - this is a local US problem. Why should it be headline news? And why get involved in the 'what-iffery' of 'well what if it WAS Muslims?' It wasn't. They didn't. So don't try to bring them into a story they have absolutely nothing to do with. It's this sort of comment linking Islam with things they didn't do which actually reinforces racism.

Egosumquisum Sun 03-Jan-16 16:49:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AcrossthePond55 Sun 03-Jan-16 17:35:59

Meh. I've been in the town where this is going on. It's a podunk, redneck town and these 'men' are a bunch of uneducated blowhards that are upset because they're losing cheap/free grazing rights because the government is taking the land back for environmental purposes. They'll posture and pose and eventually they'll go on home once they think they've 'had their say'. It's not Ruby Ridge or Waco by a long shot.

This isn't the first of these type of protests. It won't be the last. It isn't even in the top 20 news stories here (other than in Burns).

Elendon Sun 03-Jan-16 17:42:41

24 people died in the latest flooding in the USA. All due to climate change. No one cares though.

Shirkingfromhome Sun 03-Jan-16 17:46:36

Yep, Egosumquisum I've already updated my comment.

Shirkingfromhome Sun 03-Jan-16 18:00:51

It's in sky news app top stories here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now