To ask how long a virus lasts?

(8 Posts)
Nightzone Sun 03-Jan-16 13:12:49

I rarely get ill but have come down with a bug and cant seem to shake It off. Been feeling rough for a week now and don't feel much better than I did when it started. Swollen glands, sore throat, ringing in ears...the usual. Back at work tomorrow and not looking forward to it!!!! Any good tips for helping it along?

TiredButFineODFOJ Sun 03-Jan-16 13:15:55

They've been lasting much longer according to my GP.
Rest, fluid, paracetamol. Gargle salt or soluable asprin for sore throat.
* do not exceed dose and take care if you have any stomach problems- check with a chemist first!

Nightzone Sun 03-Jan-16 13:57:44

Thanks. Resting would be nice but doubt I'll get much of that this week!

Taylia Sun 03-Jan-16 17:36:14

I'm on week 5 sad

bornwithaplasticspoon Sun 03-Jan-16 18:31:07

Poor you. I rarely get ill but when I do I feel rotten for a week then it reduces a bit but still feel crap for another week or two.

You'll have to ride it out but in my experience good fresh good will make you feel better until it's gone. Avoid caffeine, chocolate and rubbish. Eat lots of fresh fruit/smoothies/soups. Get as much sleep as possible.

Also try not to take too many meds. A high temp helps fight the virus so save the meds to get to sleep or go to work.

Wishing you better soon!

Figmentofmyimagination Sun 03-Jan-16 18:56:38

Mine started on 18 December and is still going. Today is the first day I feel anywhere near normal, just in time for work tomorrow, although goodness knows how I will get up at 6:30, and there is no way I will manage a full day. I have to go in, as I was already off for nearly a week before Christmas. Thankfully my workplace shuts between Christmas and new year, but a bleak Christmas!

I've had all the symptoms you describe. The throat kept going away and coming back. My husband took to gargling with diluted TCP before bed to try and keep it at bay.

The ears are the worst thing. I was given amoxyllin for one ear infection but it made no difference at all. Now have ringing and lots of internal noises, although today gradually beginning to die down. I was getting quite worried.

Pobspits Sun 03-Jan-16 19:09:52

I had very similar in October / November - then after a few weeks of it one day I went for a lie down whilst dc were at school, woke up and felt absolutely fine and it didn't come back. It was bizarre - hopefully the same will happen for you soon!

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sun 03-Jan-16 19:30:36

Day 5 here. Constant coughing means I cant sleep. Can barely speak and my chest hurts. Meant to be working tuesday but I cant work if I cant speak to the patients.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now