Talk

Advanced search

To feed them pasta with pesto?

(182 Posts)
duckbilled Fri 01-Jan-16 18:41:21

My db, dsil, and two dn just turned up to spend the weekend.
I am exhausted after being up late last night, looking after my own kids all day, and getting the house ready for their arrival. I was going to order (and pay) for a takeaway for dinner.
Unfortunately it is a hours wait for the delivery and the children were hungry now, so I cooked some pasta and added pesto and cream. Apparently the children aren't used to this kind of food, their grandma who lives with them usually makes sure they eat better....... hmm.
I can punch dsil right??! confused

milkysmum Fri 01-Jan-16 18:42:48

Yes I think you can definitely punch her!
What the heck is wrong with pesto pasta?

tethersend Fri 01-Jan-16 18:42:56

Are you kidding? This is MUMSNET grin

Wellthen Fri 01-Jan-16 18:45:23

You could have fed them deep fried mars bar and it would have been a rude and ungrateful thing to say. How did the comment come about? Did the children turn up their noses?

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Fri 01-Jan-16 18:45:43

Sounds lovely. Don't know what their problem is.

Vajazzler Fri 01-Jan-16 18:45:44

Yabu. Pesto is the work of the devil.

LittleLionMansMummy Fri 01-Jan-16 18:45:45

It's a quick, easy and healthy option imo. Better than chicken nuggets and chips for sure. Ds ate this at our neighbours' a few evenings ago and loved it. Your sil is very rude actually.

KP86 Fri 01-Jan-16 18:46:07

What did DSIL make? Nothing? In that case, pesto pasta is a much, much better option.

And secondly, if she was happy for them to have takeaway, what is wrong with pesto pasta?

I say tell her to bigger off.

RJnomore1 Fri 01-Jan-16 18:46:22

Pasta pesto is great. What a tube!

Karanka Fri 01-Jan-16 18:47:33

I would eat pesto out of the jar with a spoon, so yes, you can feed them that.

Pipbin Fri 01-Jan-16 18:47:40

What is better? Fresh air?

MoMoTy Fri 01-Jan-16 18:48:34

Sounds divine to me. after turning up unannounced they can all starve and do one. How rude.

TenTinyTadpoles Fri 01-Jan-16 18:49:59

There's nothing wrong with pasta and pesto but don't be surprised if they don't eat it, it's an acquired taste after all (I love it)

sleepnowplease Fri 01-Jan-16 18:51:12

We have this all the time as a quick meal. Always goes down a treat.

Longdistance Fri 01-Jan-16 18:52:58

That sounds fine to me.

But, if I am a guest staying at someone's house I take stuff with me for the dc, as I don't expect my host to know everything my kids will eat.

Olddear Fri 01-Jan-16 18:56:25

Pesto pasta is my stand by dish when my nieces arrive unexpectably! They love it and often request it when I give them choices!

Janeymoo50 Fri 01-Jan-16 18:58:07

I've never given kids pesto, but wish I had because it sure is yummy but some people find it a bit strong. I'd have sent one of them to get a takeaway or shown SIL the kitchen and said, right can I get you to make a start on supper (tea/dinner), it would be really helpful for me.
PS: get them to pay for Saturday nights takeaway.

Chewbecca Fri 01-Jan-16 19:02:44

Add some peas?

SoThatHappened Fri 01-Jan-16 19:02:52

It is not a poor quality food at all, but I couldnt have eaten it as I dont like pesto. Not everyone does.

Sounds like it's 50/50 as to who likes it on here.

DancingDuck Fri 01-Jan-16 19:03:48

YABU. If you invite people for the weekend, especially over New Year, you can't begrudgingly cobble together a meal that takes no effort, that young DC don't like just because you were up last night and then be hacked off they don't like it. A good host checks out what guests like to eat in advance. Are you making them feel welcome or like they are way too much effort for you to want them around?

Potatoface2 Fri 01-Jan-16 19:04:27

ohh...going downstairs to make pasta/pesto right now!

abbsismyhero Fri 01-Jan-16 19:05:55

she needs to get a grip her kids are hungry you fed them gratitude not attitude

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Fri 01-Jan-16 19:07:16

The kids are entitled not to like it but what the hell is your SIL problem?! So she doesn't want to make anything she doesn't want to wait for a takeaway and couldn't even be arsed asking for something particular?

Bint. YANBU.

sleeponeday Fri 01-Jan-16 19:07:20

Pasta pesto is fine. SIL's manners, not so much.

nanodragon Fri 01-Jan-16 19:07:45

I love pasta and pesto. Ignore!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now