Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask about having an insanely dry, itchy vag whilst pregnant

(24 Posts)
WolfMalice Thu 31-Dec-15 20:15:50

Firstly, sorry! I'm almost 12wks pregnant and since late yesterday my vag feels really angry and bloody itchy! No discharge, rank smells or any other obvious symptoms. Is this just a pregnancy thing?! 2nd pregnancy but this never happened before. If it is just a thing does anyone know any miracle cures?

What an end to 2015, posting about my poor vag Happy New Year everyone!

midlifehope Thu 31-Dec-15 20:18:20

Yes it's a pregnancy thing caused by hormonal chamges. Mine went on its own thank goodness

saraht84 Thu 31-Dec-15 20:19:12

Cut out bubble bath or soap, wash with something ph friendly only. Canesten cream to stop you clawing yourself to pieces. I suffered until about 26 weeks.

StarlingMurmuration Thu 31-Dec-15 20:19:54

Hmmm. Not sure but when I was pregnant with DS last year, I had a lot of very thin discharge throughout, and several of my friends said the same, because we were constantly worried that we were bleeding when we could feel the dampness. Could it be thrush? Have you changed your shower gel/soap recently?

mrsfuzzy Thu 31-Dec-15 20:21:33

check with chemist - i think you can use 'replens md' brilliant stuff, no hormones in it. works a treat.

Enjolrass Thu 31-Dec-15 20:23:16

It happened in my 2nd pregnancy. It was thrush.

Midwife told me to get cannisten (probably spelt wrong) but the pharmacists wouldn't give it to me without prescription and said I had to go to the GP. I was further along so you could see I was pregnant. Dh went and bought it for me in the end, or I would have had to wait days for the prescription.

This was 5 years ago so the rules may have changed and they may give it to pregnant women. You may need the OK from a medical professional though.

WolfMalice Thu 31-Dec-15 20:36:22

Hmm, I guess it could be thrush but it just doesn't seem that much like thrush I've had in the past.
Starling I did, I normally use Carex/Sanex but recently (briefly) used an assortment of nice Christmas smellies I got. If it's that that's done the damage then damn - never realised the destructive power! Gonna avoid from now on in any case! Thanks for all your messages so far smile

knobblyknee Thu 31-Dec-15 20:52:00

Nooo! Its like when you shave and it all grows back x100. Stick to baby bath.
Use Anusol. And keep it in the fridge. You will need panty liners and dont slap it on like its going out of fashion.

amysmummy12345 Thu 31-Dec-15 20:53:07

I'm on my second bout of thrush (17 weeks) my doctors actually given me a repeat prescription of the pessary as I'm prone to itblush fed up of itchy vag confused

WitchWay Thu 31-Dec-15 21:03:30

Thrush can give a thin discharge, when it isn't giving a thick discharge - very common in pregnancy.

Canesten is perfectly safe to use, even the pessaries, but a pharmacist won't sell it to you while you're pregnant. As you probably don't look pregnant yet you could always fib

Ask for a swab appointment at the GP - or even just a swab - they might let you take your own sample - it's just a long cotton-bud smile

WitchWay Thu 31-Dec-15 21:05:16

Thrush is alway as itchy as anything, regardless of the type of discharge. Nothing else itches as much!

WitchWay Thu 31-Dec-15 21:05:38

Apart from scabies, but I'm digressing now

WitchWay Thu 31-Dec-15 21:05:59

and that doesn't cause vaginal symptoms grin

WolfMalice Thu 31-Dec-15 21:08:41

Haha please don't let it be scabies! wink

saraht84 Thu 31-Dec-15 21:26:42

I'm 33 weeks and sick of thrush. I'm baking bread once again.

No shame over here.

RNBrie Thu 31-Dec-15 21:30:22

14 weeks, dc3. Itchy vag all of the time. Gp says it's persistent thrush, I've been using canestan like it's going out of fashion which helps with the itch but doesn't seem to make it go away. Definitely didn't have it this bad with the other dc. It's fucking awful!!!

HypodeemicNerdle Thu 31-Dec-15 21:47:27

Worth a trip to the dr for sure.
I ended up with vulval variscosities in my second and third pregnancies (basically varicose veins of the fanjo), I've never been so itchy in my life, it was literally waking me up in the night and my dr winced when she had a look!
I ended up with some wonderful magic cream (I think it was steroids but my memory might not be accurate)

midlifehope Thu 31-Dec-15 22:48:04

Try bathing in weak baths of Epsom salts - and a few drops of lavender. Good
Luck.

SushiAndTheBanshees Thu 31-Dec-15 22:52:29

Eat lots of natural, unsweetened yogurt. It'll really help.

amysmummy12345 Thu 31-Dec-15 23:01:42

I have a theory that it's worse now because of all the sugary goodies we've been eating wink cake

saraht84 Thu 31-Dec-15 23:04:48

Recurrent thrush can also be a sign of gestational diabetes as I found out sad

Fannycraddock79 Thu 31-Dec-15 23:07:49

Omg I had this with dc2, it was agony and would wake me at 3am every morning clawing myself to bits. I was fine in the day but the only thing that worked was e45 anti itch lotion slathered on every night. The good thing was it went the instant I had the baby.

imwithspud Thu 31-Dec-15 23:09:46

I remember having thrush a couple of times during my second pregnancy, but not with my first - weird but very common during pregnancy. It's so annoying, and now I'm on the implant I have it again hmm

The pessary & cream worked wonders when pregnant, I had it on prescription but you can just pick it up off a supermarket shelf and take it through the self service tills if you can't get it from a chemist. As far as I'm aware they don't check regarding pregnancy etc. It's quite pricey, but worth it. The oral capsule is not recommended for pregnancy though I don't think but the pessary & cream is fine (and more effective).

CerseiHeartsJaime4ever Thu 31-Dec-15 23:49:30

Never had thrush before this pregnancy, didn't get it last time either. It shocked me how itchy it was! It's perfectly normal the doc said (yes I went blush I had no idea what it was!) Cleared up on its own after all, it was all around 16 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now