to claim on our insurance.

(7 Posts)
pinkoneblueone Thu 31-Dec-15 19:10:04

for the first time ever i'm contemplating claiming on our insurance, never done it before. Our daughter was playing with the wii and it hit the screen and has damaged it. Is there any point in using the accidental damage? Does your insurance go up by much once you do this?

abigamarone Thu 31-Dec-15 19:19:44

I'd weigh up what a new replacement tv would be, they'd only have to replace with similar and if it's quite old might not be worth doing. Also bear in mind what the excess is.

I've claimed for a tv, but it was only 9 months old and has certain features that weren't then common. Shopped around for the insurance and it would've only been £20 or so different.

jevoudrais Thu 31-Dec-15 20:39:24

You can get basic 50 inch tvs for under £300 so depending on excess and the insurance co's interpretation of like for like, it might not be worth it sad

PagesOfABook Thu 31-Dec-15 22:50:35

Unlikely to be worth your while if you take into account the excess and any effect on your renewal premium and any effect on your no claims bonus discount.

Ring your insurance company and they will let you know if it's worth your while to claim or not.

Katinkka Thu 31-Dec-15 23:37:22

I claimed recently for an iPad. They just took the excess off and paid me the difference of how much a new one would cost.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Thu 31-Dec-15 23:44:41

We claimed 4k premium went up a bit, but we shopped round for a cheaper one anyway.

pinkoneblueone Sat 02-Jan-16 10:24:08

Thank you for all of your responses. We ended up buying a replacement the same size from Facebook selling pages to save money as I really dislike wasting a lot of money on electricals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now