Talk

Advanced search

to wonder what life is all about........

(3 Posts)
iamworkingonit Thu 31-Dec-15 16:42:07

The death of a youngish friend who was vibrant, warm and such good company was so shocking. And now I find a work colleague and friend who is also a lovely person is most probably facing terminal cancer. I am an older parent with a young child and sometimes it just seems quite overwhelming and just inexplicable that people, their children, friends and so on have so much pain and sorrow. I am not particularly morose or downbeat but life is to put it bluntly brutal at times. I could go on about terrorism, alzheimer's and all the other frightening horrors and yes I do appreciate the beauty and joy in the world but at this moment in time I feel frightened and wonder how others do it.

AliceScarlett Thu 31-Dec-15 17:41:09

It is hard to face mortality. The world can be a very hard place to live in.

Do you have much support around you? Family/friends?

PiccalilliSandwiches Thu 31-Dec-15 17:57:43

Mortality and making sense of it all can be terrifying, especially if you're not religious (I'm not). The world/universe is just so big and we are so insignificant.

Personally, I try to find a bit of joy in every day. I try to ensure I don't cause others harm and help when I can (humanist type approach). I see living well and finding good in each day a way to honour those we've lost. While we remember them they are never truly gone.

Yes, the world is a scary place and with the internet now we see all the catastrophes in such glorious technicolour. But being alive still beats the alternative in my book and so I will strive to live well and look for the beauty in the world.

FWIW I think a lot of people feel this way at some point or another. Death of someone close is always hard. Find a way to celebrate their life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now