Talk

Advanced search

I don't think I am

(16 Posts)
Teenagecrisisagain Thu 31-Dec-15 14:43:35

Ds2 (3) has recently had a nasty virus, vomiting and then a face infection. Ill since mid November really

Now he's really tired an irritable and has been weeing loads the last few days

I've told dh I'm going to do a blood sugar check just in case as it was after similar illnesses that dd developed type 1 diabetes and I'm worried
Dh thinks I'm being silly and told me ds is fine just run down

I can't not check just in case. I think I'm right and will do it when ds has his nap
Dh thinks I'm being U?

TaliZorah Thu 31-Dec-15 14:45:03

You're going to pin prick him? I don't think YABU but it's probably nothing

duckyneedsaclean Thu 31-Dec-15 14:46:24

Very minimal harm in checking.

DrGoogleWillSeeYouNow Thu 31-Dec-15 14:47:18

If this is just as a one off, then I think it's fine.

If this is part of a wider picture of you being persistently anxious about the children's health, then your DH might have a point.

FadedRed Thu 31-Dec-15 14:48:58

Given the history of your other child having Type 1 diabetes, it sounds a sensible thing to do IMO.

Teenagecrisisagain Thu 31-Dec-15 14:49:45

Over the last three years since dd was diagnosed I've checked dd1 once, ds1 once and ds a few times as in 2014 he had what the hospital called 'random high sugars' but he was fine after a day (highest was 12.1 so was a bit worrying)

We were told the other dcs were slightly more at risk of developing it as dd has it but I've only checked on the very odd occasion where one has had had symptoms

hobnobsaremyfave Thu 31-Dec-15 14:52:50

Surely it would be better to get your gp to do the appropriate blood tests which will be much more accurate than a one off BM check

Teenagecrisisagain Thu 31-Dec-15 14:54:41

We have a blood sugar and ketone meter so can check him at home if bg 'normal' he is most likely fine just run down like dh says

MrsBobDylan Thu 31-Dec-15 14:55:38

Yanbu - Dh and I have done BG tests on our other two sons when they are asleep, as we have a son with t1.

It is very infrequent and only when I have a reason for concern. The situation you describe is exactly the type of situation when I would test.

Hope all's well for your DS flowers

knobblyknee Thu 31-Dec-15 14:59:43

Tired, irritable, skin infection, diabetes in sibling.

YANBU. Best of luck brew

Teenagecrisisagain Thu 31-Dec-15 15:04:41

He's fine 4.7 smile

MrsBobDylan Thu 31-Dec-15 15:33:12

Crikey that's a relief. Have some ny's eve wine on me.

Balaboosta Thu 31-Dec-15 15:36:07

You've done the right thing I think. Friends diagnosed their second child as "also" diabetic using the diagnosed child's equipment. Common sense.

Silvercatowner Thu 31-Dec-15 15:38:09

With those symptoms I'd've done exactly the same. Glad he's OK.

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Thu 31-Dec-15 17:28:09

You did the right thing, glad he was okay.

Ywbu to constantly worry about him developing diabetes, but in the circumstances you had s genuine concern and acted appropriately. Obviously you'd need doctors tests etc before starting any treatment, but a simple pin prick test is e good way to start or as here to calm your worry

Teenagecrisisagain Thu 31-Dec-15 17:39:30

I've only tested my other dc when they've had a collection of symptoms I was worried about, like ds today (his history of random high sugars in the last makes me a bit more worried he will develop it too)

I think as well, remembering how we begged over the course of a week for ooh, GP and a and e to test dd and they didn't that I feel now if I'm worried I have the equipment to check myself although obviously I wouldn't be doing it all the time just in case
Feeling very relieved smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now