Talk

Advanced search

People that don't say thanks when you hold a door open for them should be boiled in oil (light hearted)

(47 Posts)
DyslexicScientist Thu 31-Dec-15 10:08:26

Is it me or does anyone else get the rage when people don't even a know edge or say thanks when you've spent precious seconds doing something purely to help them?

I should I just boil myself?

usual Thu 31-Dec-15 10:11:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Thu 31-Dec-15 10:13:00

I find a muttered "no, thank you" suffices. I try to avoid carrying my pot of boiling oil with me in busy spaces.

Katedotness1963 Thu 31-Dec-15 10:17:33

It's when a string of people come through the door, ignore you, and don't take their turn holding it. You're left standing there like an unpaid doorman...

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Thu 31-Dec-15 10:23:51

It really bugs me too.

As did the lady in the shop queue behind me the other day who was so far up my arse she could have been wearing me as a hat, she kept muttering about how the shop was always busy when you're in a rush, so when my turn came I said 'would you like to go ahead of me since you're in a rush', she pretty much elbowed me out of the way, put her shopping through and didn't bother saying thank you. Rude, rude, rude.

BathshebaDarkstone Thu 31-Dec-15 10:29:07

Or when I was accused of going slowly on purpose at the checkout. I go slowly because if I rush I drop things. As a lovely lady who works in our Sainsbury's says, "If you're in a rush, why don't you come 10 minutes earlier?"

OohMavis Thu 31-Dec-15 10:34:42

Precious seconds? grin

I either don't notice them being rude or I live in a very polite area, because I don't recall this ever bothering me.

SevenOfNineTrue Thu 31-Dec-15 10:37:21

I find most people polite and so say thanks or smile etc. If they don't I might add a cheery 'Thank you!' just to make a point smile

Unfortunately some people have no manners.

emilybrontescorset Thu 31-Dec-15 10:38:55

I always say 'you're welcome' in a loud cheery voice, if someone is that rude.

AnneElliott Thu 31-Dec-15 10:43:28

I also get infuriated, but I say you're welcome' in a loud cheery voice. That makes me feel bettersmile

VintageDresses Thu 31-Dec-15 10:45:13

I doubt I'd notice if they said thank you or not and I couldn't guarantee I always say it myself.

Holding the door for the person behind is just one of those things you do, a habit. If lost in thought it's possible not to realise someone's done it for you or that youve done it for someone else.

I think minding about these things probably means you need to find a few more things to think about 😀

WorraLiberty Thu 31-Dec-15 10:46:24

Is it possible to boil someone in light hearted oil?

I suppose you could use one of those Acti frys, that only requires one tablespoon.

IrianofWay Thu 31-Dec-15 10:46:27

Yes, it annoys me too. Not in a boiling oil sort of way just as a momentary seethe. Little positive social interactions with people are one of the things that make life pleasanter.

Katedotness1963 Thu 31-Dec-15 11:11:52

It's one of the little social niceties that are falling by the wayside as people become more me, me, me and insular. It's a shame we can't interact better with others.

DyslexicScientist Thu 31-Dec-15 11:17:20

Little positive social interactions with people are one of the things that make life pleasanter.

Yes yes yes! Just a few of these nice interactions a day can really make it all the better. Glad its not just me that finds this.

grin a giant actifry with a stirer with a blob of lightly steamed coconut oil with a high smoke point and suitable for cooking with.

EssentialHummus Thu 31-Dec-15 11:17:59

I derive enough pleasure from my sarky "You're WELCOME" to compensate for my rage.

MaidOfStars Thu 31-Dec-15 11:27:25

I'm another cheery 'You're welcome' person.

Saying 'thank you' is (or should be) ingrained behaviour. I have an incredibly bad relationship with one person at my thankfully large workplace. Mediation was useless so we both settled for avoidance, mostly ignoring each other but with occasional glowering across the room, and the odd email argument.

I still hold the door open for him because he still says thank you. He hates doing it though, which just makes me laugh.

sandgrown Thu 31-Dec-15 11:36:25

I embarrass my son by saying "you're welcome" in a very loud voice if someone fails to nod or smile or say thank you. Close to DS high school there is a zebra crossing where I have to wait for hoards of teenagers to cross. They are usually engrossed in conversations or their phones but how I love the ones who smile or give me a discreet little wave ( obviously it is uncool to show thanks!)

CalmYoBadSelf Thu 31-Dec-15 11:43:17

I'm amused that you had to put "light-hearted" after the title. I'm wondering just who would think you might be serious!

I tend to go for the passive-aggressive thank you myself as I hate grease splashes if cooking oil gets too hot

redexpat Thu 31-Dec-15 11:46:28

I stopped holding doors open for teachers at school for this very reason. Respect goes both ways.

MaidOfStars Thu 31-Dec-15 11:51:50

red As a pupil, you refused to hold doors open for teachers, because they didn't say thank you?

'Friendly' respect goes both ways. Respect for authority/respect for ones elders goes only one.

elf0508 Thu 31-Dec-15 11:56:38

I always say thank you, especially when I have my pram. There's been times when I've held doors for women with prams and they don't bother saying thanks, usually they are foregin though. But it is annoying

Queenbean Thu 31-Dec-15 11:57:41

YABU to write "lighthearted"

Those who don't say thanks for holding a door open should absolutely be boiled in oil

daisychain01 Thu 31-Dec-15 12:06:50

Olive oil, it's good for the complexion (unconvincing/lighthearted)

It does make my weewee bubble I agree.

Some bloke waltzed behind me thru the door as I struggled with my bag so as not to slam it in his face. I evily wished I'd let it go thwaaaap.

It reminds me of the quote about someone who was thanked for opening the door because of them being a lady. To which he replied that he had not opened the door because she was a lady, but rather because he was a gentleman. .. touche (with an accent on the e!)

Imchangingmyname Thu 31-Dec-15 13:38:02

maid don't you think teachers should be setting an example by using manners themselves?

So we should be teaching our kids that anyone in authority or older doesn't need to be polite? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now