Talk

Advanced search

I want to know where you all stand on a customisation issue ...

(26 Posts)
Maryz Thu 31-Dec-15 00:30:01

Does anyone voluntarily choose to have the viewport bar (aka the side bar or the dangly bit that follows you down the page) visible?

Or is it only visible to people who haven't yet discovered how to turn it off?

Similarly, has anyone chosen to have the FB/Twitter button visible, or again, is it only visible to people who don't know they can hide it.

And has anyone actively chosen to not bother with having their own posts highlighted? Or is non-highlighting only for people who haven't discovered MN is customisable.

Just wondering.

CuttedUpPear Thu 31-Dec-15 00:37:42

Do you mean on the app?
Because they haven't bothered to make one for Android devices so I couldn't tell you fsad

UnGoogleable Thu 31-Dec-15 00:38:32

Nope, nope and nope.

That's my vote cast!

Maryz Thu 31-Dec-15 00:41:23

I dunno about the app.

All I know is that customise seems to be getting difficult. And I can't understand why.

I mean, they want to simplify it. So why not get rid of the things no-one wants. Like viewport bars (aka dangly buttony things that float around asking to be clicked on when you have no idea what they are).

And surely everyone wants to colour the op's posts? Why not make that mandatory, instead of a choice?

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 31-Dec-15 00:42:03

No dangly bit, own posts and OP's highlighted and where's the FB button?

UnGoogleable Thu 31-Dec-15 00:45:33

Why not make that mandatory, instead of a choice? we'd have to have the choice of colours though, or people would moan! (votes for forest green = OP, lilac = own posts)

Dipankrispaneven Thu 31-Dec-15 00:49:44

No idea what you mean by the viewport bar, so I take it that either I've never had it or at some point I got rid of it. There is a bar right over on the right hand side of the page which follows me down, but it isn't either dangly or buttony and doesn't bother me. I do have vague memories of getting rid of the FB/Twitter button when someone posted how to do it, and very glad of it I was, too. Likewise I always have my own and OP's posts highlighted, in different colours.

I agree that it makes sense to colour posts automatically, though I guess MN would find themselves with a bit of a bunfight about which colours to choose. Didn't they try to impose a very limited colour choice quite recently, and got thoroughly flamed for it? Admittedly they chose horrible colours, though grin. If they choose my colour scheme, I'm all in favour.

Maryz Thu 31-Dec-15 00:50:07

I'll bump this in the morning.

I've yet to find anyone who wants no highlighting, FB buttons and dangly sidebars.

The only people who have them are newbies who don't know they can customise.

emotionsecho Thu 31-Dec-15 00:51:55

No dangly bits here, turned off Twitter and FB buttons and customised colours for OP and own posts.

BigChocFrenzy Thu 31-Dec-15 00:53:49

I've never had dangly bits confused < and I don't want 'em >
Customising is easy, but I'd like a better choice of colours, not just Lavender & Old Lace
I refuse to use the App < stamps foot >

catsofa Thu 31-Dec-15 00:56:13

YANBU, this has my vote

DramaAlpaca Thu 31-Dec-15 00:57:52

I don't have any dangly bits, not sure what they are tbh.

I've hidden the social media buttons and the viewport bar, though I just had to go into customise to reactivate them so I could find out what they were as I hid them so long ago I couldn't remember.

I've the highlighting customised so I have the OP's posts and my posts in different colours.

I almost always MN on my laptop. I have an android phone so sadly no app for me.

SwedishEdith Thu 31-Dec-15 01:03:36

No dangly bits, all social media buttons hidden as soon as we knew how, do have highlighted posts. Have no idea what my password is so can't mess about with customising anything atm. Never look at mn on my phone any more - gave up quite a while ago.

SwedishEdith Thu 31-Dec-15 01:05:12

I still get annoying pregnant woman though - is that a dangly bit? Would love to get rid of those.

mathanxiety Thu 31-Dec-15 01:07:28

I just have the OP's posts highlighted. It freaks me out to see my own posts highlighted. I have no dangly bits and I'm going to have to read through the thread again to figure out what is a viewpoint bar..

mathanxiety Thu 31-Dec-15 01:08:38

Oh rightyo, they are the same thing. So then no and no or just one big NO.

Dipankrispaneven Thu 31-Dec-15 01:10:23

Customising is easy, but I'd like a better choice of colours, not just Lavender & Old Lace

But there is a choice? Mine are in pink and green.

I would really love to get rid of annoying pregnant woman and all her colleagues.

MyNewBearTotoro Thu 31-Dec-15 01:13:48

Is the dangly bit the blue bar which has 'active' 'watching' 'Add post' 'I'm On' and 'search' on it?

If so I didn't know it could be turned off but I have it and find it very useful. If it's something else though I don't have it or know what it is. I'm using mobile site on my phone - rarely use computers so rarely use the desktop site.

Kryptonite Thu 31-Dec-15 01:18:03

My posts seem to be in blue but I have no idea why or how I did it. confused
Yes, I have the FB, Twitter button etc visible to the left and all sorts of gubbins to the right (MN Twitter feed, MN discussions of the day etc)

ItsAFestiveBankWadger Thu 31-Dec-15 01:26:09

I know exactly what you mean by the dangly sidebar (cos I hate it and hid it as soon as it appeared), but the description dangly sidebar makes it sound creepy and tentacle-y, which is far more excitement than it deserves.

Dipankrispaneven Thu 31-Dec-15 01:33:15

Right, I've done some experimenting and discovered what you mean by the viewport bar. I tried unhiding it, wondered whether I'd find it useful, decided that I was more likely to find it annoying, and hid it again.

Maryz Thu 31-Dec-15 01:37:02

Unfortunately pregnant woman and spaghetti dog aren't customisable, and are the main reason I don't use mn on my phone.

So, so far I'm right. If they want to simplify it, and get rid of customise options, it's easy.

Everyone hides the danglybit/viewpoint bar/sidebar/whatever it is.

Everyone wants to highlight the op's posts (though I accept some people don't want certain colours -which I blame on the app having psychedelic pink and green hmm

No-one wants the FB/Twitter buttons.

Apart possibly from Kryptonite - would you hide them if you knew how?

Sorry BankWadger, I have no idea what it should be so dangly sidebar is the only way I know to describe it.

RatOnnaStick Thu 31-Dec-15 01:43:15

Nooooo. I love the viewport bar. You Can't choose to get rid of that! I agree abortive highlighting and social media bits though.

Dipankrispaneven Thu 31-Dec-15 01:45:26

It looks to me as if hiding the viewpoint bar is the default, given that I've never seen it till I tried unhiding it. If anyone wants to find out, go into "Customise" and change the "yes" to a "no" where it asks if you want to hide the viewpoint bar.

BigChocFrenzy Thu 31-Dec-15 02:17:24

My colour choice in the customise menu is pathetic: 2 shades of green, 2 of lavender, olive, silver.
I like violent colours < boxer > : Trump orange, blue, purple, shit brown, even a nice bloody red

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now