Talk

Advanced search

To return something that I bought before the sales.

(8 Posts)
Nospringflower Wed 30-Dec-15 21:02:20

I am honestly interested to know if this is totally wrong as I have always thought it was ok.

Example is I bought a shirt for my partner before christmas and it cost £89 (much more than I would normally ever spend). In the sale it was reduced to £62 so I bought it again at £62 and returned the £89 one so it saved me £27. The bit that could be bad is that he had worn the £89 one so I used the £89 receipt to return the £62 one (getting complicated now!).

So, the shop still got a perfect condition unworn shirt back but ....

Please tell me this is ok ....? If you're not totally bored by now wink

AppleSetsSail Wed 30-Dec-15 21:05:24

You could argue that if the shirt is still around after the sales, you haven't deprived them of a full-price sale.

It's probably not extremely ethical, but really, what about retail is.

Champagneformyrealfriends Wed 30-Dec-15 21:18:38

It happens all the time where I work. The mark up on clothing etc is ridiculous-they'll still have made a profit.

Nospringflower Wed 30-Dec-15 21:35:16

Oh good! I had always thought it seemed ok to do but when I mentioned it to someone they thought it was really cheating so I started to feel bad!

Mmmmcake123 Wed 30-Dec-15 21:37:21

Good tip grin

millymae Wed 30-Dec-15 21:49:29

I wouldn't worry about it. I did exactly the same thing in M&S recently and so did a woman (an M &S employee) a couple of people in front of me in the queue. She made no secret of what she was doing and was chatting to her work colleagues whilst waiting to pick up the item she was going to return. As soon as she got her parcel, she opened it there and then in front of everyone using scissors from behind the counter, then took what was presumably her old receipt out of her purse and went straight over to the returns counter to take it back.

I wasn't quite as upfront as her and opened my parcel in the toilet with my teeth then returned it a little while later, hoping that the staff wouldn't remember seeing me collect it!

Bluecheese22 Wed 30-Dec-15 21:59:51

I'd double check what store as Next has individually coded items so they'd know the sale one was not the one bought full price!

chocolatespiders Wed 30-Dec-15 22:12:32

I have done this!!! Guilt free

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now