Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

not Asian and celebrating CNY?

(14 Posts)
Thadeus Wed 30-Dec-15 20:50:28

2 years ago my do discovered he had a half brother whose mum is Malaysian. He has been building up a relationship and we have been asked to join them for Chinese new year. I think we should take something appropriate and relevant and my do thinks a bottle and chocs are OK.

If you think I'm right can you help with what is appropriate as I can't find any constant info online.

gobbynorthernbird Wed 30-Dec-15 21:25:57

Money for any younger guests, especially if you can find the red envelopes.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 30-Dec-15 21:30:00

We have a few Chinese/Canadian friends and we normally give the kids a bit of cash (even number) in a red envelope. Two hands for giving and receiving things. I take Asian pears (because I love them) and I think they are sometimes given at New Year.

Not sure a bottle and chocolates will offend though. No idea about Malaysian Chinese NY though.

stripedpenguin Wed 30-Dec-15 21:33:01

Red is auspicious so red flowers (not white) also good. Yes also to red packets of money (even numbers) for any younger/ unmarried fellow guests. Hope you get lots of delicious food!

gobbynorthernbird Wed 30-Dec-15 21:49:58

IIRC, multiples of 8 are particularly good.

AliensInUnderpants12 Wed 30-Dec-15 21:50:33

My DH is Chinese, I would say yes to the cash in red envelopes for the children, but please don't worry if you can't find any!

Fruit such as oranges would go down well too, or Chinese sweets.

Hope you have a good time, be prepared to eat lots!

Salimali15 Wed 30-Dec-15 22:18:17

Definitely cash in red envelopes if you can find any - but just for people younger than you or unmarried. I'm convinced my Chinese DP is avoiding marriage so he can still receive the red envelopes!

Salimali15 Wed 30-Dec-15 22:20:49

Definitely cash in red envelopes if you can find any - but just for people younger than you or unmarried. I'm convinced my Chinese DP is avoiding marriage so he can keep receiving them!

Thadeus Thu 31-Dec-15 12:01:48

When looking at the cash option lots of website say a couple of dollars, would you put coins in or are we looking at 5 pounds?

Do you just take for the hosts or a gift for everyone - I don't know who will be there yet.

StellaAlpina Thu 31-Dec-15 12:13:38

Maybe 8 pounds - as 8 is lucky. Even numbers def.

JessieMcJessie Thu 31-Dec-15 12:43:42

What's a "Do"?

definitely not coins, that's a big no-no. Crisp new notes if possible. The banks in Hong Kong have queues round the block just before Chinese New Year of people going to get new notes.
No odd numbers either.

JessieMcJessie Thu 31-Dec-15 12:48:54

And only one note per envelope and not anything with a 4 in it as 4 s are unlucky.

If in the UK easiest option is a crisp new tenner.

fatowl Thu 31-Dec-15 13:29:15

I'm in Malaysia

Def money in red or gold envelopes
Mandarin oranges (they are sold in gift baskets here if you want to be adventurous and make one up!)
Red or pink flowers (no white which means death )

AliensInUnderpants12 Thu 31-Dec-15 15:51:35

I'm in the UK, my in-laws tend to put in £10 per child. When we visit relatives in Hong Kong they tend to put in 100 HK Dollars.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now