To think a 2 year old does not need a medical bracelet.

(150 Posts)
MsJamieFraser Wed 30-Dec-15 20:21:16

AIBU to think a barley turned toddler does not need a allergy bracelet...

I don't know if I am BU or not, ds2 has several grade 5-7 grade allergies (scale only goes to 5) and he is 6.5 years old...

The reason I am looking into medical bracelets now is that he is now attending beavers, even tho all the leaders are fully knowledgable about his medical conditions, but with his allergies being mostly natural allergies... I thought it best that we go down that route that we should be going down, as when and if he will attend over night stays some other beaver groups leaders won't know about his allergies in the possible case ds takes an attack/anaphylaxisnets...

I've just had a mum on our allergy groups saying that she needs to looking into bracelets for her just turned 2 year old... Because she thinks her child needs it incase others might give her, her allergen...

AIBU to think a 2 year old does not need a allergy bracelet?

MsJamieFraser Wed 30-Dec-15 20:23:23

Excuse the post... I'm on my mobile phone and had one or possibly two glasses of wine blush

Fuckitfay Wed 30-Dec-15 20:25:24

EH? Why not? Nursery/playgroup/childminder/childminder friends ?

ArkATerre Wed 30-Dec-15 20:25:44

If it gives her mum peace of mind then what's the harm?

Salmotrutta Wed 30-Dec-15 20:25:58

Well, maybe she is thinking ahead to a time when her 2 year old might be at a group/nursery or something being supervised by others?

It won't do any harm for her child to wear one so why not?

whatdoIget Wed 30-Dec-15 20:27:13

It won't do any harm though will it?!

Salmotrutta Wed 30-Dec-15 20:27:18

Also, Excuse my ignorance but what is a "natural" allergy?

ElfOnTheBoozeShelf Wed 30-Dec-15 20:27:46

Seems quite a sensible thing to do, really don't understand why your objection is...

LivingInMidnight Wed 30-Dec-15 20:27:50

Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it tbh

TeaPleaseLouise Wed 30-Dec-15 20:27:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CakeFail Wed 30-Dec-15 20:28:01

EH? Why not? Nursery/playgroup/childminder/childminder friends ?

Also, if the mum and DC are both in an accident and admitted to hospital it would be useful for the docs / nurses I'm sure.

TheFairyCaravan Wed 30-Dec-15 20:29:28

If it gives the mum peace of mind, why not?

I really can't see why it's any of your business.

FairyFluffbum Wed 30-Dec-15 20:29:45

Good idea really...

For example what if they were at a soft play and the mum was sat with a coffee and another parent stumbled across the child suffering a reaction but not know it was a reaction. They would see the bracelet and then know it was a major urgent medical emergency

ButImNotTheOnlyOne Wed 30-Dec-15 20:30:18

Just a tip here. I bought dd one and because it's fabric it's a real pain as when she washes her hands it gets wet and so she wants to take it off.
Always forgets to take it off first.
So it's pretty useless .. Must get a metal one for her...

Maybe83 Wed 30-Dec-15 20:31:28

Why not? My dd is 2.5 she has the most severe type of egg and pea nut allergy. She has already had a full blown anaphylaxis when she had a yoghurt that has egg powder in it at 15 months.
She has epi pens, a medical plan in her baby bag, stuck on the fridge in my mother's and mil, both mother and mil have attended allergy clinic to be trained in administration of epi and the different types of reactions she could have. We have dummy pens that we have used with auntie/uncles etc in case they are with her when if it happens again. The more information available to people who come into contact with a small child with an allergy the better imo.

molyholy Wed 30-Dec-15 20:32:03

You sound like you want the only allergy kid in the village grin. If it gives her peace of mind why would it bother you so much?

Twirlywoooo Wed 30-Dec-15 20:33:07

My 7 year old has an peanut allergy alert bracket, he's worn one since he started nursery (3). He has a 'child friendly' braclet.
I'm not sure what your objection is either.

www.theidbandco.com/Kids-Peanut-Allergy-Wristband-1100

CakeFail Wed 30-Dec-15 20:34:55

You sound like you want the only allergy kid in the village

grin - I'm sure this isn't really your motivation OP, but the idea of this^^ made me chuckle.

LalaLyra Wed 30-Dec-15 20:36:15

If the kid has a serious allergy then it's a sensible idea imo. Could also be a good idea to get the child used to wearing the bracelet young.

Better than having a "I'M ALLERGIC TO MILK" patch sewn onto her jacket like I had as a kid.

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Wed 30-Dec-15 20:39:02

My first thought was if there was an accident they were both in and as everyone else says nursery/babysitter.

Can't see why it would bother you or anyone at all!

Maybe83 Wed 30-Dec-15 20:39:13

To be honest I wouldn't give a toss what anyone thought of the precautions I take with DD to try and make sure nothing like that happens again. Maybe it was seeing her air way swelling and struggling to breath and passing out that makes me supper careful and if it has any chance of reducing the risk. I ll try it, people probably think we are a bit batty we don't let anyone give DD food other than mother and mil who have a list of safe food. Were ever else she goes we provide. Even trace exposure for results in an extreme flare up of her skin that could mean a week of little sleep. Im surprised since your child has such severe allergys you would so questioning of it...

AliceInUnderpants Wed 30-Dec-15 20:42:03

Seriously, it's not a competition!

How does he have grade 5-7 if the grading only goes to 5? How can it be worse than the worst case?

Also, when your son goes to camp, please, please take an extra minute to remind his leader of his medical issues/allergies as you drop him off, so they can remember to inform other adults there and then - we can be very stressed at camps and an extra reminder is always appreciated.

crackedphone Wed 30-Dec-15 20:45:08

agree. need one. lots of well meaning but forgetful adults handing around biscuits and food forgetting the one child in family with many life threatening allergies.
a visible reminder needed. esp in a large family.

helpful for same reasons at school when teachers and TA forgot.

many 2yrs olds are non verbal and this does help.

MsJamieFraser Wed 30-Dec-15 20:46:02

For me with ds, (ds is allergic to tree's, grass and timothy grass and weed pollen, dog, cat, all dust mite (he does not need to be near these allergens, only needs to be near someone who has been near these allergens)

He is also allergic to dairy and citrus pollen and has an intolerance to wheat... (These are our new blood results and also skin results, some allergens are getting worse some lessening by a grade)...

The car crash I get so I am BU, but for childminder, nursery, play groups etc... You would watch/ or you would surely be making sure an adult looking after your child would be medically adapt in giving medical emergency treatment for your allergen child... And knowing what their triggers are... Etc...

A bracelet isn't going to stop a child say for ingesting their allergen...

Maybe it's the age of the child that's doing it for me.. As a mother of a child with acute allergens... It's not even something I looked into at this age... s I say he's 6 now and I'm only just looking into it for him... I did get him some medical bracelets... And a he carries his medpac bag (his school asked me to get him it "just in case" but his is still in the original wrapper that is now too small for him.

Twirlywoooo Wed 30-Dec-15 20:46:20

I agree maybe83 Ds1 has suffered an anaphylaxis to a smear of peanut butter on his finger, it touched his lips, he didn't even ingest any and he could have died. An id bracelet is a visual reminder, especially in a childcare setting. It gives me piece of mind that anyone who comes into contact with him are aware he has a severe allergy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now