Talk

Advanced search

To say something to people who go from sauna to pool and vice versa without showering

(119 Posts)
DyslexicScientist Wed 30-Dec-15 09:02:06

A few people do this in my leisure center. I think its beyond grim, there are cold showers and the pool is not designed to be a cool plunge pool. Its not even cold.

Would you say something to these grim and unhygienic people?

BackInTheRealWorld Wed 30-Dec-15 09:03:39

I wouldn't. But you totally should. Do come back and tell us how you got on.

CasperGutman Wed 30-Dec-15 09:14:45

Sauna to pool I can see your problem, YANBU there.

Vice versa though? What's the problem with going from the pool to the sauna? Are traces of pool chemicals going to upset other users or something? YABU there.

FayKorgasm Wed 30-Dec-15 09:14:50

Swimming pools are basically human stew. A bit of sweat in chlorinated water would be the least of my worries.

Helmetbymidnight Wed 30-Dec-15 09:17:05

Agree with Faye- if you analyse it, it's all gross- or all lovely depending on your attitude!

MamaLazarou Wed 30-Dec-15 09:17:42

Pool to sauna - not a problem.

Sauna to pool - gross!

But there's not much the staff can do, to be fair. There are probably already signs up telling people not to do it.

TheBunnyOfDoom Wed 30-Dec-15 09:18:38

TBH, if you think a bit of sweat from the sauna is gross, you shouldn't be swimming in public pools!

choli Wed 30-Dec-15 09:24:45

FFS, grow up. Most of the swimming pool users did not have a shower first.

Scarydinosaurs Wed 30-Dec-15 09:28:05

Honestly can't get that het up about this. The pool is chlorinated. If you're that germ averse, maybe public spaces where people sweat and are partially dressed isn't the place for you.

Costacoffeeplease Wed 30-Dec-15 09:30:25

As long as the pool is regularly checked for ph and chlorine I don't see a problem - there's much worse than sweat in a public pool [bleurgh]

AuntieStella Wed 30-Dec-15 09:30:51

It doesn't both me if people do this. Sweat is all the same, whether it comes from the sauna or from swimming hard.

And overall grubbiness, likelihood of doing a surreptitious wee, having flaky skin, or any having anything else that comes off a body into water, just don't seem particularly related to use of sauna or anything else.

The chlorination system is geared to cope.

Agree with pp that it's just not logical to worry about that.

DyslexicScientist Wed 30-Dec-15 09:38:36

Just because the pool is already a stew doesn't mean people shouldn't make steps to reduce the human fluid in there. Would you piss in the pool as its designed to cope with it?

There are clearly signs up saying to shower before and after.

Pool to sauna I don't like as all the chlorine evaporates into the air and affects my asthma and allergies. Something about it being far worse when it evaporates into the air.

I don't swim in the pool often (well veru rarely) as it affects my skin but do like to go for a sauna after the gym.

MissBattleaxe Wed 30-Dec-15 09:39:19

Yanbu. That chlorine kills anything. Besides the showers are usually just water and wouldn't make a lot of difference.

PotteringAlong Wed 30-Dec-15 09:40:22

Are there babies in the pool? You know swim nappies don't contain wee don't you? Sweat is the least of your worries!

MissBattleaxe Wed 30-Dec-15 09:43:44

Sorry meant to say yabu

DyslexicScientist Wed 30-Dec-15 09:45:52

the showers are usually just water and wouldn't make a lot of difference

I'm struggling to understand this. Do you not believe in showers? What are your showers if they are not water?

MackerelOfFact Wed 30-Dec-15 09:47:09

YABU. I always think the showers at pools are bit of a joke, how clean are you actually going to get standing under lukewarm water with no soap while wearing swimwear?! If anything it'll just warm up bacteria to a nice habitable temperature.

As everyone else has said, the chlorine kills germs. You can't really compare sweating to peeing in the pool because the volumes of fluid are vastly different.

MissBattleaxe Wed 30-Dec-15 09:47:56

Sorry do you mean that people should return to the changing rooms and get the shower gel out for a proper wash down each time they move locations?

EponasWildDaughter Wed 30-Dec-15 09:51:08

This thread is bringing back my pool phobia. Blaaaaargh.

UnGoogleable Wed 30-Dec-15 09:53:36

Don't wear goggles and look at the bottom of the pool while you're swimming. You'll see all sorts of horrors that will make the thought of sweat pale into insignificance

false nails
manky sticking plasters
poo

BluePancakes Wed 30-Dec-15 09:56:25

Yep, I agree with Mackeral, worrying about hygiene in pools that require use of swimwear is a bit nonsensical.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Wed 30-Dec-15 09:57:47

What are your showers if they are not water?

I tend to use shower gel and a scrubbie thing in my shower. Don't you?

TheLowKing Wed 30-Dec-15 09:58:29

I was once in a public pool in the Austrian alps, and underwater you could see perfectly from one end of the pool to the other. It was amazing.

I think it was because everyone showered before getting in the pool.

Last time I was in Blackpool's Sand Castle, I couldn't see more than 5 metres ahead under water. I stopped swimming underwater when I realised that.....

Queenbean Wed 30-Dec-15 10:00:36

Urgh, this thread is bringing back memories of my pool adversion. Whoever said its human stew is right. A bit of sweat from the sauna is the least of your worries. Or will you do a sniff/wet test on absolutely everyone as they enter to check they've had a shower before getting in?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now