Talk

Advanced search

To think this is utterly repulsive behaviour

(105 Posts)
bridie69 Tue 29-Dec-15 21:58:10

Was visiting friends in N London today and decided to tube it. The last section of the Northern Line carriage thinned out and gradually became aware of a 40s guy to put it bluntly staring at my chest. I wasn't even wearing a low cut top not that that would excuse. I was feeling really uncomfortable and actually quite worried, then he stands up somewhere in the Claphams and my heart starts to race like mad I am convinced I am about to be assaulted. He screwed up a bit of paper and threw it at me as he got off a few stops before me. I started to cry partly with relief and got off at my stop then drove home shaking. I just opened the piece of paper and let's just say it is quite an unpleasant sexual comment. I am 51 for God's sake I just want to be left alone...why the HELL do we have to put up with this and why I am sitting here thinking "it could have been worse". sad

WorraLiberty Tue 29-Dec-15 21:59:58

Must have been awful for you sad

He sounds mentally ill tbh.

NattyNatural Tue 29-Dec-15 22:01:26

Hope you're ok thanks

TheCarpenter Tue 29-Dec-15 22:01:30

<hugs if you want them>

I am sorry this happened to you. You shouldn't have to put up with this. It's disgusting.

Is there Transport Police for the tube? They could check CCTV. The note is proof and it's sexual harassment.

Shakey15000 Tue 29-Dec-15 22:01:53

How awful thanks Have you kept the paper? I'd take it to the police. The tube station may well have CCTV footage of him etc. He may be already known and best to report I think, in case he does it again. Glad you're ok.

DramaAlpaca Tue 29-Dec-15 22:01:55

You poor thing, what a horrible experience sad angry

MintyBojingles Tue 29-Dec-15 22:02:08

YANBU, agree with above, he sounds like he has issues.

Time for big glass of wine

rosewithoutthorns Tue 29-Dec-15 22:03:00

Yep, he was not the full ticket so to speak op.
flowers

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Tue 29-Dec-15 22:03:13

So sorry this happened.

I would report it. There is a whole big campaign by TFL to try and stop this sort of thing. I'll try and find you a link.

GrimDamnFanjo Tue 29-Dec-15 22:03:53

Report it. I'll bet you're not the only victim and they may be able to find him.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Tue 29-Dec-15 22:04:30

You should report it.

ovenchips Tue 29-Dec-15 22:04:50

Bloody hell, sounds Nervewracking OP. Glad you're safe and sound.

Chippednailvarnish Tue 29-Dec-15 22:05:13

Definitely report him and don't ever be too shy to get off at a busy stop and change carriage - I've done this many times...

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Tue 29-Dec-15 22:05:22

Here OP.

Not sure why people are saying he sounds mentally ill - a man staring at her chest then throwing a note with an obscene phrase on it sounds like a piece of shit not someone with a mental illness.

ElfOnTheBoozeShelf Tue 29-Dec-15 22:05:26

Report it.

So sorry you had to deal with this.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 29-Dec-15 22:05:43

So sad this happened to you. It's horrible.

flowers

PinkSquash Tue 29-Dec-15 22:05:55

Please report it, that must have berm a horrid experience for you flowers

bridie69 Tue 29-Dec-15 22:07:18

I don't know if he was disturbed or whatever but he looked more or less normal..well dressed not dishevelled and he didn't say a word at any point. It was honestly like pure, targeted, cold hatred. I don't know what to do about the note. Am doing a dry month so chocolates not wine but ffs why do we women have to put up with this? I'm not even young or good-looking and half of me is now berating myself for being upset the other half is just plain outraged. Some men just seem to get off on making women uncomfortable it is sick

TheCarpenter Tue 29-Dec-15 22:08:58

Agreed Felicia.

We don't know anything about the man but it seems we simply must find potential excuses and minimise what happened. hmm

Full shilling or not, a horrible experience for Bridie.

rosewithoutthorns Tue 29-Dec-15 22:09:17

A person who does this has issues in his head hence "mentally ill" so not sure why you wouldn't think this either.

However, I would certainly report.

TheCarpenter Tue 29-Dec-15 22:09:56

Sorry, Bridie, cross posted there.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 29-Dec-15 22:10:04

Similar (but less horribly threatening) has happened a couple of times to me this year. Both drunk men. I'm chubby and in my 40s.

It's not MH, not attractiveness or age, it's a hatred and objectification of women.

Do you think you will report, OP? It might help with the upset and/or the outrage.

CalleighDoodle Tue 29-Dec-15 22:11:23

Because some men are utter nobs. Report it.

bridie69 Tue 29-Dec-15 22:12:52

Well I can't even find the note now but thanks to Felicia and yes I will contact the BTP. If this can happen to me what the hell does my lovely DD experience and maybe not tell me about????

Leelu6 Tue 29-Dec-15 22:14:17

YANBU. Recently I was sitting opposite a man (who was sitting next to a woman that I assume was his partner) on the tube snd he stared at me non-stop. At first I looked away but then I thought why should I avoid eye contact so I looked him dead in the eye. He then looked away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now