Talk

Advanced search

to think he can fuck off with hisbone in one out.

(27 Posts)
northern78 Tue 29-Dec-15 20:46:25

Ok I am the1st to admit our house is cluttered. We have too much stuff. I am gradually getting rid of baby toys, and outgrown toys but it is taking time as we have 3 dc, one who is not a good sleeper.
Both dh and I also have lots of stuff,
dh lego, books cds football programs , consoles and games etc.
Me mainly books, clothes cds and toiletries etc.
For Christmas dh got shedloads of stuff and I got gift vouchers. Today I spent some of my voucher on a handbag. (I already own maybe 5 but I like this one and it is a better size than my others)
dh response was another hanbag. It should be one in one out.
I think he is a complete hypocrit as he prchased another Lego set today and I have never suggested one in one for them.
Plus he has been trying to get me to prune my book collection but when I suggested he prune his football program collection he said but they are ok as they are not on the shelf he wanted to clear.
sorry I know this is petty but it has riles me.
aibu to be cross and to feel that my belongings are less important than hisvin his eyes.

northern78 Tue 29-Dec-15 20:47:29

Outgrown clothes

Whatsinaname2011 Tue 29-Dec-15 20:48:27

Yanbu but you must know that!

Iggi999 Tue 29-Dec-15 20:48:58

How much space do his collections use up in the house? How much space do your things take?

thenightsky Tue 29-Dec-15 20:50:58

But he buys lego for the DC so that doesn't count I guess.

I have millions of handbags (mostly £6 primark jobs). Handbags are accessories to outfits, not in and out things. Does he expect you to throw out clothes in the same manner? Jumper in/jumper out. Bra in/bra out.

Arfarfanarf Tue 29-Dec-15 20:51:16

Not unreasonable at all.
Tell him you will when he does so until he picks a lego set to chuck out, he needs to shut up.
And it would be a very good idea to tell him what you said here - that you feel he thinks his things are more important than yours.
And that when he talks about one in one out, it feels like what he means is always something of yours must go.

northern78 Tue 29-Dec-15 20:52:48

Difficult to say really re books as they are mixed up. Lego however, definitely takes up more space. I probably use more cupboard space for my clothes than he does for his. Football programmes take up quite alot of space too.

northern78 Tue 29-Dec-15 20:57:15

Going to have to I think as it will eat me up. I was already fed up because he gave a long list of stuff he wanted for Christmas He got virtually all of it from various people. I got a few gift vouchers and even now I can't actually spend them without a comment. I hinted about getting jewellery for Christmas but he never seems to make an effort.

northern78 Tue 29-Dec-15 20:58:28

Yes all 3 got lego sets for Christmas and more today too.

thelaundryfairy Tue 29-Dec-15 21:09:47

Sorry to hear all of this. He does sound unreasonable. Why don´t you sit down together, discuss and perhaps set some targets together such as, we will clear out X cupboard by Easter, X cupboard before the summer, etc.?

Perhaps you can also devise - together - some more space-saving ways of storing things such as the children´s toys, his memorabilia and your enormous fwink collection of handbags.

He buys Lego for the children fwink - ? Really? Is this in the same way that I buy wine for unexpected visitors? fwink fgrin

northern78 Tue 29-Dec-15 21:15:49

Oops just saw stray b in the title. Tablet keypad is too small. Good idea laundryfairy
Thank you for replies

CandOdad Tue 29-Dec-15 21:26:17

You know Lego has gone up more in value than gold since the year 2000? You could be sat on a real gold mine!

Jux Tue 29-Dec-15 21:56:48

More fool him.

My dh did this once. He actually chucked a whole load of my stuff!! Without asking!!!! Apparently I didn't need it hmm

That was nearly 20 years ago. It still comes up at appropriate times.... wink

rosewithoutthorns Tue 29-Dec-15 21:58:23

He gets lego?

northern78 Tue 29-Dec-15 22:22:00

Tbh I wouldn't get rid of the lego because it never goes out of fashionnd does increase in value but we do need better storage solutions.

MissingPanda Tue 29-Dec-15 22:29:06

YANBU his stuff is not more important than yours. If he wants a one in one out then he needs to apply it to his own stuff as well.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Tue 29-Dec-15 22:36:35

We do one in one out but we all do it and we all agreed to it. There is no other way to do it.

nebulae Tue 29-Dec-15 22:37:43

YANBU re the handbags. Six isn't excessive by any stretch of the imagination.

Do try to deal with the clutter though, it's amazing what a difference it can make to your life once you've got shut of it. Highly recommend the Marie Kondo book, that was a real game changer for me.

northern78 Tue 29-Dec-15 22:47:39

I know it needs dealing with. Simple housework takes so much longer and the place never looks tidy.

Potatoface2 Tue 29-Dec-15 22:54:57

your husband plays with lego....lololol.....sorry thats hilarious, dont think i would stop laughing if i was sat here watching my husband building with lego!

timelytess Tue 29-Dec-15 23:10:34

I think building with lego is an excellent pastime for anyone. I've done some myself recently and found it most enjoyable.

YouTheCat Tue 29-Dec-15 23:14:34

People who laugh at other people's hobbies are horribly shallow and a bit dull, usually.

OP, sort one room at a time.

slightlyglitterpaned Tue 29-Dec-15 23:15:07

Lego is awesome. Except when your CEO pops round to your desk and finds you fiddling with it. blush

OfaFrenchmind2 Tue 29-Dec-15 23:15:45

Do not diss the Lego, it's a wonderful past-time! smile

But thelaundryfairy's timeline targets are an excellent idea, as you have actually time to think about what is getting out, with no precipitation. And it allows some negociations.

slightlyglitterpaned Tue 29-Dec-15 23:19:37

Sorry OP - meant to add YANBU, it is worth you mentioning that it feels one sided.

Haven't read the Kondo book but like the idea of gathering together all you have of one thing (e.g. clothing) and getting rid of stuff that no longer gives you pleasure. Slowly chipping away at it here...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now