Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to not do any cleaning?

(9 Posts)
supersop60 Tue 29-Dec-15 20:14:30

Having just returned from a deeply unsatisfactory visit to the PIL, DP and I were discussing their lack of cleaning (I ran a cloth round the bathroom). The are getting on now (79 and 83) although MIL in particular is still very active. DP reckons his home was always dirty when he was a kid.
Here's the rub - he said to me 'well we could do more cleaning here'. I was so shocked - I do a lot of cleaning, but mostly when he's not around. WIBU unreasonable to not do any cleaning for a while, and then he can see how much I actually do?
Or are there any better suggestions out there?

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 29-Dec-15 20:15:38

Well if he's bothered he could certainly do some cleaning...

Arfarfanarf Tue 29-Dec-15 20:16:25

I'd be saying " well I do plenty of cleaning so i assume by we you mean you. Go for it. "

BlackeyedShepherdsbringsheep Tue 29-Dec-15 20:21:05

ex thought the new one year old fridge freezer was still lovely and white because it was new... not because I wiped it down when it was showing marks.

BlackeyedShepherdsbringsheep Tue 29-Dec-15 20:21:29

...so yanbu. let him clean as you are doing your half already.

supersop60 Tue 29-Dec-15 20:22:43

To give him his due - he does the hoovering and often mopping, but he's rubbish at skirting boards, doing behind the sofas/under the bed etc, doesn't see cobwebs anywhere or dust on the shelves.
I'm tempted to quote Caitlin Moran at him.

LadyDeadpool Tue 29-Dec-15 20:23:50

Sounds to me like he was trying to defend his parents from being bitched about behind their backs.

witsender Tue 29-Dec-15 20:24:44

I'm more surprised about you running a cloth around their bathroom for discussion later.

supersop60 Tue 29-Dec-15 20:36:30

no no no - HE brought up the lack of cleanliness, NOT me. I don't bitch about them. I think they should get a cleaner - HE thinks his DPs need the physical exercise of cleaning. They have long haired dogs that aren't well groomed, and he's allergic to the hair (always was, even as a child - dogs always came first) I believe that they are just more set in their ways as they get older.
The visit was unsatisfactory because of having to wade through a flood at the bottom of their road and because of tensions between DP and his DF.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now