Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet disasters

(138 Posts)
Postitblue Tue 29-Dec-15 18:43:15

Hello all- I'm pretty sure I am BU to ask but I was wondering- have you ever known someone on MN was talking about you? Or have you been caught out on here referring to Someone who knows you in RL? I'm a nosy begger I know but some of the stuff on here I think (surely) someone would know? Ps new here and loving it - apologies in advance if this isn't appropriate chat smile

CallieTorres Tue 29-Dec-15 18:45:34

I recognised someone here, but they weren't talking about me thankfully

Cutecat78 Tue 29-Dec-15 18:46:49

I think I have been recognised - but I am extremely paranoid grin

Lavent Tue 29-Dec-15 18:50:12

Ive been recognised....

Sparklingbrook Tue 29-Dec-15 18:51:06

No to both. It's wise to think very carefully about what you post on MN if being outed is a concern. Apart from worrying about being recognised you can be quoted anywhere, the Daily Mail, The Wright Stuff, you name it.

carbsfoundme Tue 29-Dec-15 18:52:28

When I post pictures of my cats I always change their names. They are very identifiable and one of them has ended up on TripAdvisor fblush

Cutecat78 Tue 29-Dec-15 18:53:04

I post way too much (normally my way of venting) then worry I'll be recognised - I should take sparklingbrooks advice but prob never will grin

Postitblue Tue 29-Dec-15 18:53:38

Eek! Whilst I love a bit of trashy tabloid wouldn't want a starring role!

lilydaisyrose Tue 29-Dec-15 18:56:28

I spotted one of my chums on here the other day - talking about her brother. Hi doitanyways! We met on another parenting forum.

Someone I had a thread about was given a heads up....the shit hit the fan in an horrendous way and she went bat shit crazy, CRAZY

Postitblue Tue 29-Dec-15 19:00:06

Oh gawdshock hope it al worked out in the end

Cutecat78 Tue 29-Dec-15 19:00:08

I sometimes click on threads to check they aren't about me - most recently "I hate my sister" grin

BeyondJinglebells Tue 29-Dec-15 19:02:43

The other way around - i have spotted a mner in a facebook group.

Seriouslyffs Tue 29-Dec-15 19:02:45

My mum found me. blush
My fault because I was posting on a thread about the dcs school and it was named in the title.
Meh. Fortunately I don't post what I wouldn't say in rl, so we're ok.
She's not impressed aty name though. fgrin

BeanGirls Tue 29-Dec-15 19:02:53

I've recognised a couple of people on here, scandalous in the sense they have no idea I know who they are. People share too much sometimes.

Sparklingbrook Tue 29-Dec-15 19:03:07

I have been quoted in The Daily Mail and the Sunday Telegraph magazine. he first was about Mandy Holden the second about Tunnocks Tea Cakes. I am very highbrow. grin

The Wright Stuff do flash up the OP as it appears on MN complete with username.

Sparklingbrook Tue 29-Dec-15 19:03:26

*The

TheBunnyOfDoom Tue 29-Dec-15 19:03:55

I sometimes click on threads to check they aren't about me

me too! blush

fastdaytears Tue 29-Dec-15 19:05:21

I sometimes click on threads to check they aren't about me - most recently "I hate my sister"

Me three, and that one was one of them!

imwithspud Tue 29-Dec-15 19:05:53

I've not recognised anyone here (yet). I'm always paranoid about being recognised though.

rosewithoutthorns Tue 29-Dec-15 19:07:22

I don't really worry about it. I don't post enough really to out myself, even then I wouldn't care as I don't say anything on here that I wouldn't say in real life.

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 29-Dec-15 19:08:31

What's the problem with people knowing who you are on RL anyway ?!
( unless you are discussing cringeworthy personal stuff ?!?) hmm

Cutecat78 Tue 29-Dec-15 19:09:10

I guess if you are having a good old bitch about someone ....

RuckingMarvellous Tue 29-Dec-15 19:10:25

I know lots of people that use mumsnet but never recognised anyone as yet, though I think I've been identified under previous name...

GoApeShit Tue 29-Dec-15 19:10:42

Love these kind of threads.

I live for the day I recognise someone on MN.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: