Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet disasters

(138 Posts)
Postitblue Tue 29-Dec-15 18:43:15

Hello all- I'm pretty sure I am BU to ask but I was wondering- have you ever known someone on MN was talking about you? Or have you been caught out on here referring to Someone who knows you in RL? I'm a nosy begger I know but some of the stuff on here I think (surely) someone would know? Ps new here and loving it - apologies in advance if this isn't appropriate chat smile

CallieTorres Tue 29-Dec-15 18:45:34

I recognised someone here, but they weren't talking about me thankfully

Cutecat78 Tue 29-Dec-15 18:46:49

I think I have been recognised - but I am extremely paranoid grin

Lavent Tue 29-Dec-15 18:50:12

Ive been recognised....

Sparklingbrook Tue 29-Dec-15 18:51:06

No to both. It's wise to think very carefully about what you post on MN if being outed is a concern. Apart from worrying about being recognised you can be quoted anywhere, the Daily Mail, The Wright Stuff, you name it.

carbsfoundme Tue 29-Dec-15 18:52:28

When I post pictures of my cats I always change their names. They are very identifiable and one of them has ended up on TripAdvisor fblush

Cutecat78 Tue 29-Dec-15 18:53:04

I post way too much (normally my way of venting) then worry I'll be recognised - I should take sparklingbrooks advice but prob never will grin

Postitblue Tue 29-Dec-15 18:53:38

Eek! Whilst I love a bit of trashy tabloid wouldn't want a starring role!

lilydaisyrose Tue 29-Dec-15 18:56:28

I spotted one of my chums on here the other day - talking about her brother. Hi doitanyways! We met on another parenting forum.

Someone I had a thread about was given a heads up....the shit hit the fan in an horrendous way and she went bat shit crazy, CRAZY

Postitblue Tue 29-Dec-15 19:00:06

Oh gawdshock hope it al worked out in the end

Cutecat78 Tue 29-Dec-15 19:00:08

I sometimes click on threads to check they aren't about me - most recently "I hate my sister" grin

BeyondJinglebells Tue 29-Dec-15 19:02:43

The other way around - i have spotted a mner in a facebook group.

Seriouslyffs Tue 29-Dec-15 19:02:45

My mum found me. blush
My fault because I was posting on a thread about the dcs school and it was named in the title.
Meh. Fortunately I don't post what I wouldn't say in rl, so we're ok.
She's not impressed aty name though. fgrin

BeanGirls Tue 29-Dec-15 19:02:53

I've recognised a couple of people on here, scandalous in the sense they have no idea I know who they are. People share too much sometimes.

Sparklingbrook Tue 29-Dec-15 19:03:07

I have been quoted in The Daily Mail and the Sunday Telegraph magazine. he first was about Mandy Holden the second about Tunnocks Tea Cakes. I am very highbrow. grin

The Wright Stuff do flash up the OP as it appears on MN complete with username.

Sparklingbrook Tue 29-Dec-15 19:03:26

*The

TheBunnyOfDoom Tue 29-Dec-15 19:03:55

I sometimes click on threads to check they aren't about me

me too! blush

fastdaytears Tue 29-Dec-15 19:05:21

I sometimes click on threads to check they aren't about me - most recently "I hate my sister"

Me three, and that one was one of them!

imwithspud Tue 29-Dec-15 19:05:53

I've not recognised anyone here (yet). I'm always paranoid about being recognised though.

rosewithoutthorns Tue 29-Dec-15 19:07:22

I don't really worry about it. I don't post enough really to out myself, even then I wouldn't care as I don't say anything on here that I wouldn't say in real life.

OnePlanOnHouzz Tue 29-Dec-15 19:08:31

What's the problem with people knowing who you are on RL anyway ?!
( unless you are discussing cringeworthy personal stuff ?!?) hmm

Cutecat78 Tue 29-Dec-15 19:09:10

I guess if you are having a good old bitch about someone ....

RuckingMarvellous Tue 29-Dec-15 19:10:25

I know lots of people that use mumsnet but never recognised anyone as yet, though I think I've been identified under previous name...

GoApeShit Tue 29-Dec-15 19:10:42

Love these kind of threads.

I live for the day I recognise someone on MN.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now