Advanced search

To consider selling his stuff

(12 Posts)
Snowfire Tue 29-Dec-15 17:12:01

At the beginning of this month my short term partner finished with me after a minor argument. He was staying at my house quite often so had a fair bit of clothing and some sports equipment he left here. He also still owes me some money for things I bought for him online using my account which he had promised to pay me back.
I have given him several opportunities to come round and sort this out but he consistently lets me down and leaves me wondering if he is going to turn up. Yesterday, after he had ignored my texts all morning I told him to stop messing me about and get it sorted. He has since ignored me and has taken the mature approach of blocking me on Facebook!
I just want this over, I have text him today to tell him I will drop his clothes over tomorrow (he lives with his parents so this is a last resort) and would he please come and get the bigger stuff and give me my money. That was this morning and still no response.
Would I be unreasonable to sell his other things in order to get my money back?

CalleighDoodle Tue 29-Dec-15 17:13:52

youre not getting your money back.
He isnt responding to you and actively stopped you from being able to contact him.
Sell it.

JohnLuther Tue 29-Dec-15 17:14:00

I'm sure that it'd be considered theft but you're going to get a lot of posts encouraging you to do it.

I personally wouldn't.

Iamnotloobrushphobic Tue 29-Dec-15 17:14:44

Why not tell him that you will be holding onto his stuff and will sell it in two weeks time of he hasn't paid you the owed money by then?
Seems a bit off to sell his stuff without warning him first.

HooseRice Tue 29-Dec-15 17:15:11

I sold my ex's stuff after a similar wait to yours. I put the proceeds on a horse which came in at 7-1. The £700 paid off my CC bill.

I was lucky, I don't recommend gambling.

nokidshere Tue 29-Dec-15 17:17:10

You can't just sell things that don't belong to you.

Having said that, I would send an email (preferable for the paper trail) or write a letter saying that if his stuff is still in your house one month from now (date of your choice) it will be sold or disposed of - then you will have given him ample opportunity to redeem it.

Kaytee1987 Tue 29-Dec-15 17:19:10

I think if you give him written notice of your intentions eg he owes you X money and you have repeatedly asked him to collect his things. You are giving him 7 days or you will remove his items yourself. I'm pretty sure you can legally throw out someone else's things if they are expecting you to store them and won't respond to repeated requests for collection. Don't know the legality of selling them but if you can prove he owes you money and you have done everything to resolve it without selling his stuff then pretty sure you would be in the right.

OurBlanche Tue 29-Dec-15 17:21:17

But you could have some fun going to his parent's house with some of his clothes and explaining his good self to them smile

MelanieCheeks Tue 29-Dec-15 17:22:58

By all means sell them. But tell him that this is your plan, too.

SamVJ888 Tue 29-Dec-15 17:23:52

Send him a message stating as of X day you'll be charging him £10 per day for storage, if he doesn't turn up after a couple of weeks sell it to cover your storage costs. I sold exh golf clubs, mountain bike and some other crap when he left and then denied all knowledge of their existence (to be fair he's not paid child support for 10 years so I feel no guilt at all). smile

Arfarfanarf Tue 29-Dec-15 18:21:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hefzi Tue 29-Dec-15 20:01:40

^^ What Arf said - the recorded delivery thing is important: don't just do it by text.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: