Talk

Advanced search

about swing queue etiquette?

(15 Posts)
swingsandbitches Tue 29-Dec-15 17:03:06

Just came back from my local park, and though this might be trivial in the grander scheme of things, one of the other parents pissed me right off.

AIBU to think that you can't leave the swings if you are waiting for a turn, only to return 15 minutes later after everyone else has been waiting, and put yourself right at the front for the next free swing?

I got to the swings with my DD and waited patiently for a good long while. There was no sign of this parent or her children when we arrived. We sat on a nearby rock and waited patiently. After a while the queue started to build with a few more children. At this point, the lady and her children turned up. I assumed they had just joined the waiting group and that my DD was up next. When the swing became free, I walked towards it as the lady put one of her children in it and asked if my DD could have a turn as we had been waiting quite a while. She said she had also been waiting and long before myself. I corrected her and said that we had already been waiting and had been sitting just in front of the swings. She said that they had been waiting long before my DD and I. They had left to go and play elsewhere and returned as my DD and I had been waiting.

Am I wrong to think that you cannot leave to play elsewhere and then return and rejoin at the front of all the other waiting children?

You wouldn't do this in other circumstances so why in this context was it OK?

AIBU?

Yes trivial, but pissed me off anyway. I walked away rather than even get into it in the middle of a playground. Just thought the other parent was rather selfish.

Leelu6 Tue 29-Dec-15 18:02:54

YANBU. I hate queue jumpers. With a passion.

A woman tried to skip a long Asda self-check out queue in front of me. I told her no and said it was cheeky. She whined that she was in a hurry but gave no real explanation. I said it's not fair on those waiting.

Of course the guy behind me let her in grin

Hurr1cane Tue 29-Dec-15 18:05:34

YANBU.

BUT

I never wait for swings, it's not something where you can have a turn and then stop and go to the back of the queue like the zip wire. Waiting for swings puts the other children under pressure to get off when they're swinging and I've never done it.

However. In a situation like yours. The woman was BU.

xmasseason Tue 29-Dec-15 18:32:37

YANBU

littlemermaid80 Tue 29-Dec-15 18:40:30

Yes it's a trivial thing but you're right and YANBU

She was clearly one of these selfish people who think the world revolves around them, either that or a chancer.

hazeyjane Tue 29-Dec-15 18:40:40

Playground swings are the bane of my bloody life - ds is obsessed with them, and would stay in one for hours given half the chance. We never do, and have often been guilt tripped out of them by someone loudly and passive aggressively talking about 'big boys in the baby swings'.

When we are on holiday we go to the park at silly o clock to avoid everyone else!

Coldlightofday Tue 29-Dec-15 18:42:51

Misread the title as Swinging etiquette

grin

TheChimpParadox Tue 29-Dec-15 18:51:40

Yes I misread title too. Bit disappointed blush

Turquoisetamborine Tue 29-Dec-15 18:59:09

We mustn't live in a busy area as we have never had to wait for a swing. If it's busy I just keep an eye on it then go over when it's free.
I would never physically stand and wait for one with a child as it pressurises the child who is having a go.

Ohfuckohfuckofuck Tue 29-Dec-15 19:01:12

cold me too. I'm very disappointed.
Op yadnbu

Merguez Tue 29-Dec-15 19:16:11

Another one who misread the title.

Thought I was going to learn all sorts of interesting new things. wink

Stevenhydesafro1 Tue 29-Dec-15 19:24:03

Misread thread title too.

What is the etiquette for swinging?

I picture it in the style of a 1920's dance with one chap tapping the shoulder of the chap who is currently occupied with a lady, and asking "I say old boy do you mind if I cut in?"

Coldlightofday Tue 29-Dec-15 19:28:07

Nah, it's all about pampas grass in the front garden and a fruit bowl full of car keys,Steven

SavoyCabbage Tue 29-Dec-15 19:32:46

I thought this was going to be an update to that NYE swinging thread.

emilybrontescorset Tue 29-Dec-15 19:38:01

I too misread the title.

I have also avoided buying any wicker love hearts which I so desired after a previous thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now