Talk

Advanced search

to spend money on myself

(12 Posts)
mincebloodypie Tue 29-Dec-15 16:55:30

I know I am not really BU

We have been really skint all year. I have finally got a new job, and it is one I have to look fairly smart for (but not suits iykwim)

I got paid before Christmas, plus I was given a few vouchers and some Christmas money

I have spent £70 today on the following things

New clothes for me, mainly work
Some books
A boardgame I have wanted us all to play
Some accessories eg. Hair stuff

Please tell me to stop itching to cancel the orders. I have been really struggling to dress properly for work, as I just don't have the right clothes, amd they all come from the charity shop. I never buy new. Toiletries etc are poundland.There is no harm in spending a bit of money on looking smart, and a few extra treats, yes?

DH is telling me to stop being silly, but I feel really guilty and uncomfortable, like we are all going to starve now!

GingerFoxInAT0phat Tue 29-Dec-15 17:01:10

Of course not! You needed the clothes, and treats are always nice.

We're not well off at all but I used some of my Xmas money on buying a make up storage box for £85 if that helps to put all what you have got in context.

You won't starve, you earned your money. It might take a couple of months to get used to buying yourself new things now you have more disposable income.

afreshstartplease Tue 29-Dec-15 17:03:31

You sound like you got plenty for your £70 anyway op it's not like you just frittered it away

Sgtmajormummy Tue 29-Dec-15 17:04:09

You deserve it, iif you're in work nobody's going to starve and people (those who gave you vouchers and DH) want you to do it.
You just need to give yourself permission.
flowers

mincebloodypie Tue 29-Dec-15 17:06:55

Thank you all. I need a grip. I haven't had a me-only spending spree for years, kind of pissed off that I can't enjoy it because of niggling "what if" guilt grin

PumpkinPie2013 Tue 29-Dec-15 21:48:11

YANBU but I know what you mean - I make sure DS has everything he needs but I never spend money on myself!

I need to though - could do with a few new bits of clothes as things are wearing out!

thelaundryfairy Tue 29-Dec-15 21:53:35

Congratulations on your new job! flowers

Pleased to hear your husband is supportive of what sounds like a well deserved and not at all excessive shopping "spree". Enjoy your purchases!

thelaundryfairy Tue 29-Dec-15 21:54:28

PumpkinPie Get to the shops!

FlatOnTheHill Tue 29-Dec-15 21:54:56

Dont feel guilty. And yes you do deserve some treats. Enjoy them.

2snugglets Tue 29-Dec-15 22:07:18

You thoroughly deserve it. I hope you feel great in your new gear.

PumpkinPie2013 Wed 30-Dec-15 08:38:27

thelaundryfairy I'm planning to go today now grin and to shops that don't sell things for DS grin

Namechangedec15 Wed 30-Dec-15 08:53:35

I don't subscribe to the "you deserve it attitude". But being frugal can be miserable. Only yo can say if it is worth it, we don't know your full finances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now