Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to wash up pans with hand soap

(23 Posts)
someonestolemynick Tue 29-Dec-15 00:50:20

Was running out of washing up liquid earlier with some non-essential items still dirty.

I contemplated finishing the job with liquid hand soap (bayliss& harding ginger and black pepper).
My argument being that both washing up liquid and hand soap are a type of soap and would clean the pots.
DP was horrified. His main argument was that the scent would be horrible with the food (rubbish IMO as the dishes would have been rinsed and the dish do was about to cook contained both ginger and black pepper).

Who IBU?

HeffalumpTrap Tue 29-Dec-15 00:52:16

As long as you give them a rinse I think it's fine. Soap's soap.

Be prepared for the 'oh no Bayliss and Harding is soooo cheap and common' brigade though wink I like it myself.

Catzpyjamas Tue 29-Dec-15 00:53:36

YANBU. Soap is soap. If he's that bothered he could always go out and buy some fairy from an all night garage!

CalmYoBadSelf Tue 29-Dec-15 00:53:59

Soap is soap and, as long as you rinse it well to get rid of the perfume, it is fine

Catzpyjamas Tue 29-Dec-15 00:54:18

Oops, cross post. Never cross a heffalump wink

someonestolemynick Tue 29-Dec-15 01:47:56

I'm shocked. I didn't expect this to go in my favour at all. [Hands out 'soap is soap' badges]

LeopardIsTheNewBlack Tue 29-Dec-15 01:53:44

It's fine! I ran out of washing up liquid just before a hurricane started. Couldn't get to the shops for days and we lost power so I couldn't use the dishwasher. I washed our dishes with shampoo for days- again soap's soap! The scent won't stick to your dishes especially if you rinse. What's DH's alternative idea?

CrazyOldBagLady Tue 29-Dec-15 02:12:00

Soap is soap but make sure you rinse to get strong smells out. If pans have ground on grub then I always use biological washing powder on them or a crumbled up dishwasher tablet. A soak in either of those allows you to wipe cooked in stuff away easily

sykadelic Tue 29-Dec-15 02:30:21

While soaps contain many of the same ingredients, different soaps contain different additives for different purposes. Shampoo for example contains additives that help smooth the hair follicle, and that's just one additive. Hand soap, depending on the kind you get also contains different (and not necessarily food safe) additives.

So no, I wouldn't use hand soap to wash dishes. As you've said that only non-essential items remain, then they can wait until you've purchased some dish soap. And I'd suggest buying 2 bottles (or a refillable one) and when you grab the last one, you buy another. Problem solved.

lolalament Tue 29-Dec-15 08:06:44

I don't see the problem. You'd happily wash your hands with this soap and then eat chips (or other finger food).

Kennington Tue 29-Dec-15 08:14:42

They all contain SLS, in varying concentrations - unless stated otherwise the no sulphates shampoos
Including Molton brown and all the fancy brands
Some contain oils to make them feel smoother but YANBU to use it
Will probably not be quite as strong but it will wash you plates with a little more arm work

GreatFuckability Tue 29-Dec-15 08:17:32

I do it all the time because I am lazy forget to buy washing up liquid. No ones died from it!

Leelu6 Tue 29-Dec-15 08:20:29

I wouldn't use it unless I really had to, but I cringe when I wash my hands in Fairy grin. Ishoos.

Have used shampoo whilst camping when we'd forgotten the Fairy! Good rinse; no one got sick and the world didn't end grin

Oysterbabe Tue 29-Dec-15 08:36:57

As long as you're not one of those sicko non-rinsers then it's fine. grin

Kaytee1987 Tue 29-Dec-15 08:40:04

I've used hand soap before and once while getting a new kitchen I even washed up in my bath shock

BeanGirls Tue 29-Dec-15 10:10:03

I've done it and I've also washed my hair with washing up liquid and hand wash blush

DadWasHere Tue 29-Dec-15 10:13:20

Not being unreasonable but does not work as well IMO.

FlatOnTheHill Tue 29-Dec-15 10:14:16

I would have done the same

ThisIsStartingToBoreMe Tue 29-Dec-15 12:04:13

Yes, it's fine as long as you rinse them.

I've used washing up liquid in the washing machine, dishwasher powder in the washing machine and washing powder in the dishwasher before now in emergency situations - its just detergent.

someonestolemynick Tue 29-Dec-15 15:02:41

Thank you, guys. Dp has admitted defeat.grin

ValancyJane Tue 29-Dec-15 15:48:09

I once worked with a lovely lady, and one day complimented her on how nice her hair looked. She sheepishly admitted that she'd run out of shampoo, and in desperation had used the hand wash! It looked really good. I imagine it would be fine on pans ;)

VintageDresses Tue 29-Dec-15 15:59:45

I agree that soap's soap isn't quite true as different kinds of soap will have different additives but nothing sold to wash hands with is going to leave anything harmful on a rinsed pan.

I'd be interested to know if it's up to the job though. I know that when I've washed my hands with washing up liquid it strips oil (grease) much more effectively than hand soap does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now