fucking play station

(306 Posts)
FlatOnTheHill Tue 29-Dec-15 00:10:20

DS glued to the poxy thing. He is 15 a good boy. Does go out and see mates so sociable. Does not bring me amy trouble. Studies hard at school. Somim very lucky. But when he is on that thing, I call it 'the machine'. He plays GTA with mates and all you can hear is him shouting out ya mother fucker" or fucking get ouuut my way or oi you ya silly prick etc etc.
I have spoken to my friends about this and work colleagues and they say their sons are the same confused
Would point out does not act like this when not on play station.
AIBU in wanting to launch the fucking thing out the window or accidentally on purpose cut the wires. He has been on GTA for about a year. Drives me nuts. And when I go flying in his bedroom to tell him off he goes mad shouting at me. As I said only behaves like this when on that poxy 'machine'

mustardfrench Tue 29-Dec-15 00:13:49

Don't you have to be 18 to play GTA? Maybe that's the problem

There are a bazillion studies on how good computer games are for coordination, increasing intelligence etc

It's the game, not the machine

gamerchick Tue 29-Dec-15 00:15:32

You let him play gta at 14?

EduCated Tue 29-Dec-15 00:16:37

Have you tried talking to him calmly another time about how unpleasant it is to be in the house with a child shouting these kinds of things? Rather than storming in in the middle of his game?

You are the adult here, you can confiscate it if it's not used considerately...

mamaduckbone Tue 29-Dec-15 00:16:43

GTA is an 18. Over my dead body would my son be playing a game at 14 or 15 that includes raping prostitites and stealing cars. Definitely the choice of game rather than the device.

BanningTheWordNaice Tue 29-Dec-15 00:19:15

It really irritates me when people blame technology for others not being able to control their behaviours.

FlatOnTheHill Tue 29-Dec-15 00:27:19

They play car racing on it. You dont see sex on there. You can play it as car racing. Different ways to play it. It can be violent but does not have to be. Those that know it will understand how it works
I was wondering if anyone else has sons/daughters who are glued to their play stations. I have spoken to him about swearing whilst on it. He says its because of the racing. I have seen this for myself. Pisses me off tho

FlatOnTheHill Tue 29-Dec-15 00:28:20

And for the record loads of kids have GTA that are under 18.

EduCated Tue 29-Dec-15 00:30:51

Well, it might be because of the racing, but are you willing to put up with it or not?

And yes I know the game. And that you can play it as car racing. It also has some very, very adult themes.

FlatOnTheHill Tue 29-Dec-15 00:36:10

I have had a word just now. He agrees im right. Thank goodness.
Was wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Katarzyna79 Tue 29-Dec-15 00:41:37

OP i think further psychological studies should be done into video games there is something addictive about them and why some people get addicted and others don't. But he industry is so lucrative and don't think the studies would matter.

My husband made the mistake of getting one for my son hes only 9. we had no tv and nothing much compared to what other kids get so he thought would be a nice treat. Huge mistake 6 months on in 1 hour he will be glued. call him for meals wont answer or come down. Hide controls he will search for them until he finds them. will wake up at dawn to play. Shout scream for it. We have now packed it up in the garage ready for sale. its so stressful disciplining him on it all the time, i could scream i told you so.

My girls don't seem to behave like him although they might moan for afew minutes they soon forget and play other games.

I personally think you should get tell him you need to see his behaviour change ie no swearing or going ballistic if he cant play his games. If this does not occur i'd get rid of the thing but your call you are the parent.

im tempted to break my sons playstation but i didn't pay for it so im holding back.

abbsismyhero Tue 29-Dec-15 00:46:32

yes ive seen gta played by my ex husband he wouldn't play it around our kids for a reason its the one where you can have sex with a prostitute then shoot her and rob her....nice

yes you can just play racing but it gets boring after awhile

MoreCrackThanHarlem Tue 29-Dec-15 00:52:42

Don't set boundaries for your son based on what "loads of other kids" do. GTA is classified as an 18 with good reason. You have acknowledged his behaviour changes dramatically after he has played the game but continue to allow him to do so. Do you also allow 18 rated films?

If you want to hear other parents complaining about behaviour related to an identified cause which you do not wish to tackle you won't find it here. Just ban the game. Setting appropriate boundaries is part of your role as a parent.

Nanny0gg Tue 29-Dec-15 00:53:12

Do you honestly think he's only playing the racing part?

And if the game has that sort of language it's not suitable for a child, surely?

FlatOnTheHill Tue 29-Dec-15 00:57:33

Ive just been told the racing gets out of hand sometimes if there are a few playing. Ive just asked him about the prostitute thing. He said mum there could be one walking down the street but you race straight past them. He said they have helicopter races etc as well as boats. Apparently not all seedy.
My concern was his swearing and being on it all the time. As i said we have just had chat. Thanks your comments. Im not convinced tho that gta is a good thing at all. Minecraft is much nicer.

PhoebeMcPeePee Tue 29-Dec-15 00:58:37

There are plenty of racing games that don't involve rape, shooting, vile language etc so I'd bin the game and take him out to buy something more suitable. GTA is a horrible game & I wouldn't let DH play it in our house let alone an impressionable 14/15 yr old .

FlatOnTheHill Tue 29-Dec-15 00:59:11

Nanny he is nearly 16. They are not kids like we were years ago. He is very mature.

EduCated Tue 29-Dec-15 00:59:34

Do you actually want to do anything about it, or are you just wanting people to say 'me too'?

EduCated Tue 29-Dec-15 01:00:51

And I think he might be misleading you slightly when it comes to GTA gameplay.

FlatOnTheHill Tue 29-Dec-15 01:04:08

Edu
Its 1am. Im not doing anything right this moment! I need to think about this one. Ive told him about language. He agrees im right and has apologised.
I think he can stay on it. Has been playing it for a year but needs less time on it and needs to curb the swearing. Whats wrong with wondering if others kids are on it.

babyboomersrock Tue 29-Dec-15 01:07:13

he is nearly 16. They are not kids like we were years ago

when I go flying in his bedroom to tell him off he goes mad shouting at me

Yeah, right. He sounds so mature.

FlatOnTheHill Tue 29-Dec-15 01:12:00

Baby
Have you got a teenager?

EduCated Tue 29-Dec-15 01:14:27

Nothing, but you seem to be dismissing any suggestions and making out it's completely normal, despite having just started a thread about it.

FlatOnTheHill Tue 29-Dec-15 01:18:26

Edu
Please stop over analysing.
Every thread on AIBU is full of people over thinking and analysing its awful.
Yes i know he is wrong and i am no doubt wrong too.

Does anyone else have a stroppy teenager thats does the same?

Thats all i want to know now. Yes i am wrong and so is ds we have now established that.

babyboomersrock Tue 29-Dec-15 01:22:11

Baby
Have you got a teenager?

I have had 4.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now