Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if anyone else 'can't see' HD?

(142 Posts)
CrohnicallyAspie Mon 28-Dec-15 21:49:59

A family member got a new 4k TV at Christmas and it sparked a discussion about whether there's a discernible difference between standard/HD/4k.

Almost all the female members of the family (3/4) say they 'can't see' any difference, but the men (5) can.

I am the odd one out, I'm female but find HD much clearer.

So I was intrigued as to whether there is a genuine division by male/female, or if it's coincidence and another family might find all the women can see it but not the men, or if it's because the women in my family don't really care about TV so aren't observing that closely?

And if there really is a male/female divide, why can I see it? Anything to do with the fact that I'm autistic?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 28-Dec-15 21:51:24

Female. Can see difference...

NickNacks Mon 28-Dec-15 21:51:42

I couldn't when we first got it but now when watch something not in HD, I can tell.

ScarlettDarling Mon 28-Dec-15 21:53:14

Nope, I can't see it, (woman.)

My husband insists it makes a massive difference.

VinylScratch Mon 28-Dec-15 21:55:34

I don't think it's that different, maybe a bit. I don't watch the HD channels because for some reason they're much quieter than the normal channels and I forget I've turned it up and get deafened when I flick over.

QueryQuery Mon 28-Dec-15 21:55:52

I don't think it makes much difference. Oh says it does.

Writerwannabe83 Mon 28-Dec-15 21:56:17

My DH is very passionate about HD and gets a bit crazy if he catches me watching something on the standard channel as opposed to the HD.

I can't see any difference at all really, certainly not enough to seek out the HD channels anyway grin

Oh thank goodness. I thought it was just me. I can't tell the difference.

Catzpyjamas Mon 28-Dec-15 21:57:05

I don't notice any difference but DH insists HD makes a huge difference fhmm

chipsandpeas Mon 28-Dec-15 21:58:17

cant see a massive difference watching tv on the HD channels on the telly but can notice a big difference for movies and blurays

oh female

QueryQuery Mon 28-Dec-15 21:58:51

It is louder though, which is generally how I tell if it's an HD channel.

Belmo Mon 28-Dec-15 21:59:13

I can't see the difference.
DH claims he can but I reckon he's making it up!

CakeNinja Mon 28-Dec-15 21:59:56

Female, I can't see it.
We have an all singing all dancing tv and I rarely watch it.
Dp is a TVaholic and can tell the difference.

BrandNewAndImproved Mon 28-Dec-15 22:01:10

I can't see the difference.

But when I got my eyes tested she said I had good vision but gave me glasses for driving and HD TV which I have to admit has made a difference and I can now see the difference between normal and HD when wearing my glasses. I don't particularly care enough to ever get my glasses out of my bag and put them on to watch though.

GeneralGrevious Mon 28-Dec-15 22:02:04

My DM couldn't see the difference until she had her cataracts done but she says she can really see the difference now

MuttonWasAGoose Mon 28-Dec-15 22:02:15

I can see the difference when I see 4k at the electronics store.

princesspineapple Mon 28-Dec-15 22:02:51

I was sceptical about 4K until we bought one when our 10 year old TV gave up on life... The difference is amazing!
My MIL and SIL claim not to see the difference between our TV and their 1080p HD ones... but I think this has a lot to do with them trying to convince FIL and BIL that they do not need to go out and spend money on new TVs grin

BlackeyedShepherdsbringsheep Mon 28-Dec-15 22:03:05

I hate hd channels on mums tv as it is all blurry. much prefer the ordinary. not sure if it is to do with the tv or my eyes.

MotherofFlagons Mon 28-Dec-15 22:03:48

DH can't see it and also can't see 3D due to visual oddness.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Mon 28-Dec-15 22:04:08

We spent Christmas with family who have just upgraded to an HDTV. I didn't know but said minutes into Call The Midwife how weird and hyper real it all was. FIL then switched back to normal tv and it was amazing how different it is.

I really didn't like it. It's odd.

4yoniD Mon 28-Dec-15 22:07:27

On a 32" TV I can't see much difference. On a 50" TV there is a huge difference and you would have to be blind to miss it. I understood that HD was to compensate for the regular quality not being good enough on big screens.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 28-Dec-15 22:07:41

Female and can definitely see the difference. My Mum is partially sighted and it makes a huge difference for her as well.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 28-Dec-15 22:09:35

I can see the difference (female), my mum can't though. Or says she can't. Might just be saying that to be contrary, wouldn't surprise me!

DramaAlpaca Mon 28-Dec-15 22:10:05

Female and can see the difference. I now find it difficult to watch sporting events on TV that are not in HD.

BrianButterfield Mon 28-Dec-15 22:10:36

I can see the difference and enjoy HD for some things (films etc) but for day to day viewing I don't really care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now