Talk

Advanced search

To ask how much it is worth spending on a tablet?

(25 Posts)
Marsaday Sun 27-Dec-15 10:27:20

I have decided to buy myself a tablet because my laptop if very old and horribly laggy. It's fine for work ( word processing) but it struggles with Internet.
I want a tablet to browse Internet without being laggy, to watch iplayer etc, and to occupy my toddler with the cbeebies app for the odd 15 mins while i am breastfeeding a newborn. I want a screen at least 9 inches. I want it to last a few years not have to buy a new one 12 months on because it's out of date.
I've been looking at a Samsung Galaxy which is about £170. Do I need to spend more? Or conversely, would a much cheaper one be fine?

wherehavealltheflowersgone Sun 27-Dec-15 10:28:44

I got a kindle fire for £35 on Black Friday, but they're usually only £50, and it does all you want and is brilliant. Not worth spending the extra £££ unless you're a serious gamer IMO.

Marsaday Sun 27-Dec-15 10:45:04

I probably should have said that i am specifically looking for Android tablets and I'm not a fan of the fire OS. I prefer it when android hasn't been messed about with too much!

PrimeDirective Sun 27-Dec-15 10:55:14

You don't need to be a serious gamer for a cheap tablet to be the wrong choice! Serious gamers don't play on tablets!
I'm not a fan of the Kindle Fire range (because of how restrictive they are), but they are a reasonable tablet to start with or if you don't use it for much. The screen quality on the HD versions is much better.
The Samsung Galaxy is a good quality tablet.
The Nexus range is good.
The Hudl2 is excellent if you can get one.

Marsaday Sun 27-Dec-15 11:04:17

I don't think I am likely to start gaming - After 35 years is has never appealed so not likely to start now. Even apps like candy crush don't interest me.
I thought the hudl2 was discontinued?

Junosmum Sun 27-Dec-15 11:06:25

OH is IT minded, he has a samsung galaxy. Is very good and will do exactly what you need.

You don't need an iPad.

Butwhyohwhy Sun 27-Dec-15 11:09:29

I had this exact same post about a year ago op, mumsnetters suggested a hudl. Cost me around 120 if my memory serves me right. I love it! Best 120quid I have ever spent, and just as good as an iPad imho

Palehorse Sun 27-Dec-15 11:58:21

If you like your android vanilla, then I'd go for the 32gb nexus 9. It's made by HTC, which I've always found to be excellent in terms of build.
There's loads of official and unofficial support via forums like xda. Only con is the lack of expandable storage.

gingercat02 Sun 27-Dec-15 12:07:12

DS (7.5) has a galaxy tab 3, small but fine for him. DH has a nexus 10, which is fine but we have both said we wouldn't bother to replace if it died. I only use it for Skype or if I can't be arsed to find my phone. However we have a desktop, decent lappy and a Mac lappy (don't know the real name) cos DH works in IT and needs them all allegedly
If you have no other tech a tablet is probably a good choice

TheCrazyDuchess Sun 27-Dec-15 12:55:24

I have a Samsung galaxy tab 3 and have had it for about 3 years now so only now I notice it being a little slow but I do everything on it. I think the tablet would have to be dead dead before in replace it.

My daughter has the 7 in version and loves it only downside is memory space but I thing you can buy additional sd cards.

It was a good investment! But I have Samsung everything.....

EatDessertFirst Sun 27-Dec-15 13:08:57

I have a Samsung Tab 4 (around £180) and its perfect for us. 10 inch screen and Android.

Marsaday Sun 27-Dec-15 13:09:28

Thanks for the feedback! I will have a look at hudl2 if i can get one anywhere or possibly stick to my samsung galaxy plan!

SecretSpy Sun 27-Dec-15 13:14:53

I have been given a galaxy tab E for Christmas and so far I really like it. We've got hudl 2 tablets already and thru are also pretty good but as you said now discontinued.

One of the children has been given an Asus tablet, it was cheap but the screen display is pretty crap tbh

AndNowItsSeven Sun 27-Dec-15 13:17:43

You cBt buy hudls

rollonthesummer Sun 27-Dec-15 13:17:46

We have a Samsung galaxy tab 3 and an iPad mini-the Samsung lags terribly compared to the iPad. It puts us off using it and the toddler never wants to use it. Can you try some of them out before you buy?

kimlo Sun 27-Dec-15 13:19:25

Ive got a samsung galaxy. It lives upstair and I only use it for watchong things or sometimes listening to the radio.

Its alright for all the things you mention
I would probably use it for more, but I can never be bothered to go upstairs and get it so I jist use my phone.

Flingingmelon Sun 27-Dec-15 13:25:06

We have a big iPad, a little one and a Samsung tablet. Toddler is happy watching steam train videos and playing Peppa pig paint on all of them.

The only toddler based reason to pick one rather than the other is the cost. He's dropped all of them and they've all coped.

Pranmasghost Sun 27-Dec-15 13:25:13

Having both an Acer Android tablet and an iPad I'd recommend the iPad every time.

NeedsAsockamnesty Sun 27-Dec-15 13:28:08

Tesco have started selling a windows connect 9" screen tablet since they stopped the hudl's

strayduck Sun 27-Dec-15 13:57:39

I have had a fair few tablkets in my time from Ipad to Galaxy Note and now Nexus 9. For me the Nexus 9 is by far the best.

aquashiv Sun 27-Dec-15 14:05:17

We have a Samsung tablet 10 inch which so far is fine for internet use. Previously had the original Hudl with an atrocious battery life less than an hour, felt really cheap and the battery connector broke.

madmotherof2 Sun 27-Dec-15 14:57:20

We bought our 7 year old DS a Samsung galaxy tab e for his birthday a couple of weeks ago, it was on offer in Argos and currys, reduced from £170 to £130 I think. Seems pretty good!

DyslexicScientist Sun 27-Dec-15 15:03:36

Just like PCs people often buy a cheap/ low spec one. Complain its slow and buy an apple one for significantly more at much higher specs and thus conclude apple is better.hmm

Samsung do low to high ended tablets.

I've got a Samsung pro 10 something. Fast octacore processor, 3 gigs ram and 2k 10" screen. It cost about 200 on a deal 18 months ago and it's great.

tootiredtoknow Sun 27-Dec-15 16:05:03

I have a HP and Galaxy Tab 4. Around £70 & £180 respectively. I do prefer the galaxy. It feels nicer. I also would suggest looking at the HP chromebook if all you do is search the net. It only takes 8 seconds to load and feels more like a conventional lap top. I love mine.

Madlizzy Mon 28-Dec-15 11:17:36

The galaxy tab 3 wasn't brilliant, but the 4 is good as is the E

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now