Talk

Advanced search

Dredge the Rivers ffs!!!!!!

(196 Posts)
finetonive Sun 27-Dec-15 09:33:08

We need to go back to dredging rivers REGULARLY.

Those poor people.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 27-Dec-15 09:38:18

some believe that dredging rivers makes things worse. There is a reasonable discussion here

I think what we really need is more capacity to store water, both with reservoirs in the hills and flood plains.

IrenetheQuaint Sun 27-Dec-15 09:44:55

Dredging makes rivers run much faster... So after heavy rain the water runs down rivers and into towns more quickly, potentially making the situation worse rather than better.

In addition to OYBBK 's points we probably need more upland planting too, as trees soak up much more water than bare moor.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 27-Dec-15 09:48:05

I thought the same as pp, dredging = bad.

IWasHereBeforeTheHack Sun 27-Dec-15 09:48:29

And make people dig up all their paved driveways and gardens, because they increase the run-off, rather than allowing water to drain where it should be draining. Or at least charge them higher council tax and use the money to improve the flood prevention / water containment measures already suggested. And stop new builds on flood plains as well.

PirateSmile Sun 27-Dec-15 09:49:13

Stop tarmacking everywhere and plant more trees. They suck up a huge amount of water!

abbsismyhero Sun 27-Dec-15 10:04:16

stop building on flood plains they are there for a reason

i agree the tarmac has to go in places its too much now

the water company does not help by not fixing leaks for years it just adds to the problem

councils dont suck out the drains anymore so the water just sits there and causes more trouble

obviously these are little things but they add up

i think we need to look into what we used to do and what we no longer do and reintroduce things that work

dredging the trolleys/trees out of the rivers might help so river management program?

UndramaticPause Sun 27-Dec-15 10:06:17

What they need to do is stop building and people need to stop turning all things green into driveways and patios. Let the water drain away.

Egosumquisum Sun 27-Dec-15 10:08:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AlmaMartyr Sun 27-Dec-15 10:08:11

Yes, stop tarmacing everywhere and allowing people to pave over their gardens. Don't build on flood plains. Locally, cuts to councils have meant very limited drain clearance which won't help.

definitelybutter1 Sun 27-Dec-15 10:10:21

They didn't dredge the local water thingy (not sure) that is man made and supposed to help when there is high water. It was full of mud and supermarket trollies.

Yep, the local roads were flooded. We were okay, but neighbours were affected and we were without power last night.

Keeping up the flood defences and whatever the word is - storm drains? may help.

And people have known about the issue of tarmac/paving for ages.

IWasHereBeforeTheHack Sun 27-Dec-15 10:14:25

definitely - And people have known about the issue of tarmac/paving for ages.

Do they?? So why do people keep doing it? And why do councils allow it?

PirateSmile Sun 27-Dec-15 10:15:55

Councils allow it because the car is King.

Egosumquisum Sun 27-Dec-15 10:16:27

definitelybutter1 Sun 27-Dec-15 10:17:05

My 'man in pub, going on without any knowledge' point of view is that spending a large amount of money on the Victorian sewage system to allow it to keep up with a significantly larger population and to cope better with the run off we do have, in conjunction with a programme of planting trees and clearing gutters and overflows, would not only make life a lot easier, safer and pleasant but also provide employment, boost the economy and be an investment that could do the UK proud for a few generations.

I've been saying that for years.

definitelybutter1 Sun 27-Dec-15 10:19:48

IWasHereBeforeTheHack I first saw the tarmac thingy being talked about as an issue back around a decade ago, because of floods where family live and while it wasn't an issue there, it was spoken about in the commentaries as a known issue.

ABetaDad1 Sun 27-Dec-15 10:22:56

I live near a large river in a town that used to be dredged regularly as it was an inland port. I also used to live near York another inland port on a river that always flooded.

These rivers has always flooded for all of time but in the recent decades it got worse as more and more people built houses on flood plains and also tarmacked over drives to park cars.

The flooding has got worse which is no surprise. Making the river channel deeper and at least as deep as it used to be would make it better to some extent but most importantly force developers to pay for flood defences. They cause the problem when they build new housing estates and that has to be paid for.

Its like road congestion. It gets worse when you build new housing estates so they build bigger roads. Same with rivers.

Politicians love to blame it all on 'global warming' because its not their fault then. The fact is they need to acknowledge and recognise the real problem. Quicker run off and shallower river channels cause more flooding in well recognised flood areas.

Same with the Somerset Levels. They stopped dredging their and built more houses. Guess what. Major flooding occurred. Old people living on the Levels know full well why its happening. Old people warned it would happen. They knew where the river dredging used to happen and wasn't happening now.

CMOTDibbler Sun 27-Dec-15 10:23:35

We mostly need not only to not build on flood plains, but to maintain those flood plains and increase their ability to absorb water. My town is built in the loop of an uncontrolled (ie no locks), and after 2007 the EA paid for the flood plains to be planted with reeds, sculpted to provide wetland habitats normally, which then when the river floods slows the water movement and traps it so it drains in. There are flood defences in certain places along the river, but these have to be combined with more ability for the river to overflow elsewhere otherwise it can't work.

Drain/culvert clearance is far more important than dredging - light silt buildup in a river will scour away quickly as flow increases, wheras manmade water courses can't self clean

ouryve Sun 27-Dec-15 10:24:00

iwashere when we built our garage and laid a solid drive, a few years back, it was as already in the planning regulations that the drive should be angled so that it didn't drain into the road.

Unfortunately, lots of people also laid drives, that year, without needing pp, so didn't factor that in at all.

Newer housing developments are also built with soakaways. Again, doesn't seem to stop them from selling off the land that's meant to be doing the soaking, afterwards hmm

IWantSantasNewToyInMyStocking Sun 27-Dec-15 10:27:06

The councils have stopped tarmacing of drives, new drives need to be constructed out of permeable surfaces to allow water to drain. New building work also needs to drain rainwater into soakaways to avoid the existing drain network to be overloaded.

I do agree that we need to plant more trees and actually that the environment agency probably need more funding for managing rivers and flood protection.

And we need less rain but not sure how we make that happen now.

Egosumquisum Sun 27-Dec-15 10:30:33

Lappy214 Sun 27-Dec-15 10:33:07

This country needs totally independent research into the dredging vs non-dredging issue.

Those who would bear the costs of dredging say it is in-effective hence a suitable area in which to make cost savings.

Those who live close to a watercourse which has flooded find the authorities are evasive about statistics and will point the finger at anything and everything else. Lack of dredging is simply not entertained as a possible cause.

Being pedantic, rivers do not run into towns, they run through them.

IrenetheQuaint Sun 27-Dec-15 10:38:28

There is lots of independent research, though Defra seem to ignore any research that doesn't say what they want to hear.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Sun 27-Dec-15 10:38:39

Our front patio was done six years ago, and concrete was banned even then, except for disabled access.

Abraid2 Sun 27-Dec-15 10:41:24

We don't have the non-flood space to keep building houses in many parts of England.

Accept that our population needs some kind of cap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now