Talk

Advanced search

To say this is my favourite day of the year

(21 Posts)
Houseofmirth66 Sat 26-Dec-15 08:44:35

Because it's as far away from Christmas Day as you can get. A whole week of no work and time with the kids but the stress, unrealistic expectations, unseemly orgy of overeating and overspending and inevitable guilt because you didn't spend it with every family member you should have on the 25th is all over. Bliss.

MackerelOfFact Sat 26-Dec-15 08:55:20

YANBU. I love Boxing Day. Relaxed, low-fuss cooking, no ridiculously early morning followed by tears, same amount of food and alcohol as Christmas Day but more time to sit down and enjoy it, an actual chance to enjoy the gifts. I much prefer Boxing Day.

Enjolrass Sat 26-Dec-15 08:59:13

It's my favourite. Yesterday was lovely. But today it's chilling out and to mums for tea.

ladygracie Sat 26-Dec-15 09:00:53

Normally I don't like it at all as it's the day the kids go to their dad's. But this year they had yesterday with him & they're with me today. So we're having Christmas today. I'm so excited!!!

areyoubeingserviced Sat 26-Dec-15 09:02:16

Love Boxing Day.
Less tiring

WipsGlitter Sat 26-Dec-15 09:02:36

I like it too. DP is off doing sales shopping, I'm in bed eating sweets!

DragonMamma Sat 26-Dec-15 09:02:45

I love it too - it's zero stress here and everybody just pleases themselves. My DH is on call today though, so I'm hoping it's quiet for him.

gamerchick Sat 26-Dec-15 09:03:25

Mine as well grin I don't have the kids christmas day. I properly look forward to boxing day.

froggyjump Sat 26-Dec-15 09:05:24

MackerelOfFact we had an earlier morning here today than yesterday - 5yo DS was desperate to get back downstairs and carry on playing with his new toys!!

Everyone else is still in bed though, so I am drinking coffee and MNing in peace - lovely

Katedotness1963 Sat 26-Dec-15 09:13:47

We are planning a relaxing day, some board games, snacks and family time.

Shodan Sat 26-Dec-15 10:50:50

Today is house-tidying day blush

I have peri-menopausal sore boobs, am already feeling antsy because I have 'people' (dc and DH grin) around all the time and have reached boiling point with all the mess.

I am officially a Misery Guts.

PumpkinPie2013 Sat 26-Dec-15 10:58:18

I also love boxing day smile we hosted yesterday and cooked for 10 so lots of work and effort, although we all had a lovely day smile

Today is just us and ds (2yo) and we are just relaxing, finishing tidying up from yesterday and playing with ds - bliss smile

ShatnersBassoon Sat 26-Dec-15 11:00:36

I love it too. It's just like Christmas day, but easier food prep and it starts with a lie in.

HackerFucker22 Sat 26-Dec-15 11:10:48

I feel sad it's all over. I always feel a little down on Boxing day actually.

Although I'm on the count down to going back to work after ML next month so that isn't helping my mood.

Boxing day for me is usually a pj day and I don't go out.

I adore Christmas Eve and the day itself but am always relieved when Boxing day is over.

TuckingFablet Sat 26-Dec-15 11:24:55

I prefer Boxing Day too. Dp always works, so it's just me and dd and we can chill out on our own. She can play with her toys and there is no pressure to be having conversations with family members you don't really like. Plus cold pigs in blankets are awesome

PennyPants Sat 26-Dec-15 11:38:51

I loved yesterday, but also looking forward to having all the family round here today. I love cooking especially for parties and am so organised I even have time to MN and coffee before I carry on smile We have got a chill out day tomorrow, then lots planned for next week- pub quiz, NYE, cinema, party, dog walks and coffee shops.

Lndnmummy Sat 26-Dec-15 11:59:37

I love boxung day. Still in my pjs and dh and i have both switched our phones off. He has taken ds to the park and I am in bed with candles, cupsnof tea and a brand new book.

BeanGirls Sat 26-Dec-15 13:35:03

I completely agree. The holiday starts right here for me. Enjoy!

StickyProblem Sat 26-Dec-15 13:41:55

YANBU I love Boxing Day! Massive meal DONE, wrapping and worrying about presents DONE, we'll go for a walk and set the new toys up. The tradition in my family is a cold meal on Boxing Day - pies, meat, cheese & crackers etc., I have extended this to no hot food at all not even gravy.
Sadly I have made a bad start with my new fitness monitor (Xmas gift), 236 steps yesterday and 10h sleep today! blush

Iwanttokillthem Sat 26-Dec-15 13:52:20

I love it too.

We eat leftovers and DCs get to play with toys/phones etc. Tv on all day with all sorts of films etc we never get the chance to see.Pyjamas on all day.

No-one goes out and no visitors expected .No need to go to the shops for anything. If we aint got it we will do without.

Bliss

Ohveryfunny Sat 26-Dec-15 13:53:54

Normally I love it. Not so good this year as have lots of family still here and they're hard to entertain as a whole group. Weather absolutely shit and nowhere indoors to go that kids could run around in. Plus no leftovers as we went out for our dinner yesterday. Would kill for a turkey and stuffing sandwich now and some cold pigs in blankets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now