Talk

Advanced search

to be really fed up with all the Christmas moaning?

(54 Posts)
NotTheSpiceOfLife Fri 25-Dec-15 20:27:29

I didn't get the present I wanted.
I didn't get the present I 'deserved'.
I didn't get the right amount of money.
I think DH/DP/DM/DF is a tight bastard.
Someone ruined Christmas by not peeling the sprouts quick enough.

Blah blah fucking blah.

Christmas is about being together and having a laugh. Not about presents, or money, or whether your SIL spent more than BIL or whatever.

Seriously, be fucking grateful for the people you have in your life, not what you can get out of them on one day of the year. It's really pissed me off reading some of the threads on here today, and it's the same every year.

This isn't some holier-than-thou self righteous thread, I'm just so bored that all people can do is moan about what they haven't got, than what they have.

Is it just me?

NeedsAMousekatool Fri 25-Dec-15 20:29:57

Some people have a shite time at Christmas. How about not reading the moaning threads,rather than starting one of your own? Or showing a bit of empathy?

YouTheCat Fri 25-Dec-15 20:30:35

I jut roll my eyes. I tend not to read the moany threads though.

RJnomore1 Fri 25-Dec-15 20:30:40

Partly yes partly no. There's a lot of selfish thoughtless arseholes out there as well who think it's ok to let someone else do everything and not even put a minutes effort into a thoughtful - not necessarily pricey - present to show them they are appreciated.

Pigeonpost Fri 25-Dec-15 20:31:59

Errrr, you are moaning about moaners? Have a word with yourself.

MinesAPintOfTea Fri 25-Dec-15 20:32:22

Also there's a lot of people smiling and carrying on publicly whilst feeling horribly deflated. Mn is just a vent for a lot of that.

NotTheSpiceOfLife Fri 25-Dec-15 20:33:03

It's not so much about the effort stuff, I get that. It's the grabbiness that seems to take over. It's all about STUFF and not people. They're the ones I mean, anyway.

YouTheCat Fri 25-Dec-15 20:34:42

I suppose it depends on the content.

If someone is moaning because they haven't got exactly what they want despite someone making an effort then that's shit behaviour.

If someone is moaning that they are juggling 4 kids whilst doing a full Christmas dinner while their parents/ils/partner sits on their arses drinking and watching tv then I reckon it's justified.

NotTheSpiceOfLife Fri 25-Dec-15 20:35:10

I suppose people don't post about having a good time, just vent if they're having a shitty one, maybe that's why it seems so prevalent.

Although I have probably made a massive mistake doing this in AIBU with hindsight. Should have put it in Chat.

JUST BE A BIT MORE GRATEFUL. And perhaps lower your expectations. Imo.

sooperdooper Fri 25-Dec-15 20:38:11

100% some people need to stop making such a bloody todo out of it all then being disappointed when it's not some Disney fairytale - be glad for what and who you have and stop whinging

Theres been an awful lot of nonsense on here about Christmas, I know some folks are having a genuinely terrible time and I feel for them, I really do, but there's another camp of materalistic over organisers who want to control every last second and can't just go with the flow and enjoy what they have

YouTheCat Fri 25-Dec-15 20:38:23

Personally, I've had a lovely day. Got some really lovely presents from dp and dd. I made the dinner. Visited my ds, who lives in a residential place.

Now just having a chill out and a snack.

I'm sure I could find something to moan about if I really tried but it's not in my nature.

arethereanyleftatall Fri 25-Dec-15 20:40:23

Yanbu. Some of the posts on here at the moment are beyond bonkers.
I recall checking through the Argos catalog that my sister didn't have more than me. When I was 8.
It has never crossed my mind as an adult.

NotTheSpiceOfLife Fri 25-Dec-15 20:40:33

Of course I have empathy for people having a shit time for genuine reasons. People that have worked hard to provide a great Christmas for their family and there is no gratitude etc. People that are ill, or upset about something. Not that.

I mean the ££££ ones really.

NotTheSpiceOfLife Fri 25-Dec-15 20:43:25

I've not had a bad day either! I don't have dc back until tomorrow as it's not my turn, and it's not really been like Christmas Day. As a result, I've been reading on here a lot.

And we're skint. And there has been a lot of stress leading up to it with regards to access etc. But I'll have a good time because my family will be with me. I couldn't give a shiny shite whether I got a pair of socks or nothing at all. Surely that's not the point?

ISoundReallyEntitled Fri 25-Dec-15 20:44:52

I got fuck all, as I have done for each of the last twenty years. But, as you say, it is all about the people. It was only last year that I figured out that people who care about you don't not get you anything for Christmas. I have spent today alone in bed in my house, which is 5 degrees C, and it was fine. But you know what? I really regret all those years putting a brave face on it and effectively telling people it was just fine to treat me like I don't matter.

If you want to have a moan about it folks, however trivial it is, have a moan.

imwithspud Fri 25-Dec-15 20:50:40

I posted a moany thread earlier today. It all stemmed from being excited about the prospect of having something to look forward to thus setting ridiculously high expectations (not in terms of gifts, more along the lines of not being stressed with dinner/dd's behaviour, trying to create a good atmosphere etc). When some things inevitably went wrong I got upset. I pulled myself together in the end but I posted here to vent rather than rain on my dp and small dd's parade.

Couldn't care less if it 'annoyed' someone on the Internet, it made me feel better and prevented me from ruining other people's Christmases in real life.

imwithspud Fri 25-Dec-15 20:52:11

*having something to look forward to after a shit year

Ohorgodssake Fri 25-Dec-15 21:03:45

I've kept a smile on my face for everyone today so that I didn't spoil it for everyone else. But I can empathise with anyone who sometimes feel the need to vent the niggles, irritations and disappointments of the day to someone on the Internet that they will probably never meeto. It's the modern day version of "stranger on the train " and is just a safety valve. If it pisses you off, read something else and consider yourself lucky that you don't need to blow off steam.

Sparklingbrook Fri 25-Dec-15 21:05:12

Hide thread is a very useful function. wink

darkequinoxlight Fri 25-Dec-15 21:09:16

ISound same fhmm

jorahmormont Fri 25-Dec-15 21:09:55

I can empathise with some of the venting/ranting threads on here. Christmas gets built up so much that disappointment is natural.

Our Christmas has been fantastic but I've still struggled - eating disorder and anxiety don't go well with Christmas, and I've spent much of the day worrying that I'm disappointing others. It's a very high-pressure time, even when we've done all we can to make the day relaxed and easygoing.

Fugghetaboutit Fri 25-Dec-15 21:13:19

Yanbu at all.

shazzarooney99 Fri 25-Dec-15 21:14:38

I totally agree, having lost my mum 8 weeks ago and a lot o other stuff going on its not been as fantastic as it usually is, however ive had some wonderful wonderful friends whove done lots of fantastic things for me over the last few weeks and its help a lot knowing i have people there xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

usual Fri 25-Dec-15 21:18:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Woodhill Fri 25-Dec-15 21:19:07

thanks I've had enough today. husband working, heating broke. felt pressurised into having my mother over and my dds helped but it was such a mess and I just snapped at my mum. had meal tonight & didn't enjoy myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now