Talk

Advanced search

About the dress?

(9 Posts)
lilyboleyn Fri 25-Dec-15 18:16:22

Trying not to out myself... Probably will anyway!

Please be kind!!

Our baby is being christened soon. MIL (not British if this makes a difference) has bought the christening dress without telling me or consulting me on it. I didn't even know she was going shopping for it. This isn't her cultural "role" in the christening or anything like that.

If this also makes a difference - the baby needs a "going in" and "going out" dress for the christening. This will be the going in dress

Aibu to feel really sad about not being consulted and to feel quite pushed out about it? Genuinely don't know.

Tia x

Iggi999 Fri 25-Dec-15 18:18:06

How odd. Mine used dresses from dh's side of the family, but they were "heirloom" type things, not something anyone could have gone out and bought.
What would happen if you say, oh actually I've already got the clothes sorted?

Enjolrass Fri 25-Dec-15 18:18:12

It wouldn't bother me, especially since there are two outfits required.

It would depend on your relationship with mil. If you generally get on and she thought she was being kin I would let it go.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Fri 25-Dec-15 18:19:03

Choose your own dress. Let her keep the one you bought for her own/another child.

LynetteScavo Fri 25-Dec-15 20:43:37

Yanbu, but what is the dress like? If it's nice go with it.

Won't most photos be with the second dress anyway?

Fluffyears Fri 25-Dec-15 20:46:38

You don't need to use her dress, you can refuse saying you picked the clothes since it is YOUR baby. She will need to return it or whatever.

SaucyJack Fri 25-Dec-15 20:50:26

My feelings on the matter would depend entirely on whether I liked the dress she'd bought.

Is it nice? White flouncy dresses are much of a muchness, Shirley?

lilyboleyn Fri 25-Dec-15 21:22:02

I haven't seen it...! It was announced that it had been purchased and that was it... Have been asked to go see it at some point, but don't want to because of the above.

Goingtobeawesome Fri 25-Dec-15 21:25:24

You don't have to let your baby wear it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now