Talk

Advanced search

to be disappointed by a gift that is almost what I asked for but not quite?

(87 Posts)
PennyHasNoSurname Thu 24-Dec-15 21:43:23

I know....first world problem etc. But DH and I set a small budget each. One of the things Id asked for was pricey for what it is but within the budget and under £20, so not actually expensive.

Swapped gifts with all of his side of the family today and one of his relatives got me a gift which is very similar to what Id asked dh for but not quite. DH said "oh yes I was going to get you that then X said they had so I had a re think".

I feel awful to actually be a bit disappointed. The item I wanted was pretty and clever and good quality and this is a replica, not good quality, different details. To dhs mind (dare I say to a mans mind) they are one and the same.

But they arent sad

NotAWhaleOmeletteInSight Thu 24-Dec-15 21:48:32

What is it? Can you return it and buy the one you want? They'll never know.

pictish Thu 24-Dec-15 21:49:36

I have got to know what it is.

PennyHasNoSurname Thu 24-Dec-15 21:51:25

haha whilst I am almost certain Relative is not a MNer saying what it is will out me to her should she ever come this way.

I've no idea where the one she got me is from - once the place I saw it did it, loads of other places did similar ones.

NotAWhaleOmeletteInSight Thu 24-Dec-15 21:52:57

I reckon it's a watch.

cariadlet Thu 24-Dec-15 21:53:08

If it's under £20 then couldn't you just treat yourself to what you really want in the New Year? The relative wouldn't need to know - as long as you can trust DH not to spill the beans.

TheOriginalMerylStrop Thu 24-Dec-15 21:53:13

yes...what is it?

toastedbeagle Thu 24-Dec-15 21:55:51

I feel your pain. When I was 7 I asked for Majesty My Little Pony and my parents bought me Moonshine. Never forgot it.

PennyHasNoSurname Thu 24-Dec-15 21:56:19

It isnt a watch, but it is an accessory. It has writing on it, which on the one Ive been gifted is different and different font (but thankfully not Comic Sans, silver linings and all) so I reckon relative would spot the difference.

I think I will just get it myself in the new year. Its something that someone can have more than one of.

PennyHasNoSurname Thu 24-Dec-15 21:56:52

fist bumps toasted

MinesAPintOfTea Thu 24-Dec-15 22:16:04

Oh nearly but not-quite is the most frustrating! It makes me feel guilty to get what I actually want but always causes a slight note of dissatisfaction that it isn't *right(

Bupcake Thu 24-Dec-15 22:27:32

Buy yourself one in the new year; if relative asks, you can say a friend bought it for you for Christmas because she knew how much you wanted it.

fredfredgeorgejnrsnr Thu 24-Dec-15 22:34:47

YANBU, it's a small part of the reason I just say "no presents", the disappointment of a slightly wrong present that makes it an almost pure waste of everyone's time and money. You know what you want, you could get it, instead someone else has wasted their time to get something you don't want.

Purplehonesty Thu 24-Dec-15 22:38:51

I coveted a dark grey knitted jumper dress from next a few Xmasses ago. Dh sent his mym in for it and I was excited when I got a big squishy parcel from her.
It was green. And they had no grey left in stock when I went to change it
Gutted

WongTobyWong Thu 24-Dec-15 22:40:49

I feel your pain. I asked my husband for a book. A specific book. One I've been waiting for. I was dreaming of a Christmas Day evening, after all the children are in bed and our 10 dinner guests have all buggered off, with pate, cheese, red wine and this book.

He bought me a cup and a gift card to a local bookstore. I'm crushed. Ridiculously so. And I'm going to handle it in a mature way of course. It's barely 5 o'clock here and I'm already drinking.

WongTobyWong Thu 24-Dec-15 22:41:34

It was the latest Val McDermid, "Splinter the Silence", if anyone cares.

ClaireHW1978 Thu 24-Dec-15 22:43:09

I know you can't say what it is, but I now have an irrational need to know!

FlatOnTheHill Thu 24-Dec-15 22:43:10

Please tell us what it is

Whataboutreindeer Thu 24-Dec-15 22:43:45

Kindle app and read it on a device?

But the thing yourself and definitely not unreasonable.

moonbells Thu 24-Dec-15 22:46:34

Have you an eBook reader/kindle? Get it online and you can read it immediately! Happy Christmas.

PeaceOfWildThings Thu 24-Dec-15 22:47:03

I don't get the asking for something specific for gifts. The giver can give whatever they like. If they ask what you like, it's rude to be specific. Just get the specific thing yourself and ask for somerhing you'd like them to choose for you, so it has some of their choice and taste about it.

I don't think you are BU, I just don't understand the whole deal of reducing friends and family to personal shoppers!

moonbells Thu 24-Dec-15 22:47:05

Crosspost !

TurduckenForDinner Thu 24-Dec-15 23:09:16

A very, very long time ago (probably two decades, but I still remember it) I asked H for the latest Tom Sharpe book for Christmas. Imagine my joy when I opened the present and found the latest Tom Clancy. Apparently I was unreasonable to point out the difference because they were both 'Tom' so it was good enough. hmm

PennyHasNoSurname Thu 24-Dec-15 23:14:18

DH is the only person I would be specific with. Im normally an "oh you dont need to get me anything!" person, and genuinely mean it. However now we had kids we barely ever treat ourselves to stuff that isnt needed / reasonably priced. I like the fact that at Christmas we can treat one another to the things we cant justify day to day.

He has asked for a pair of joggers by a specific brand. Day to day he would just go to H&M etc and pay half the amount. But at Christmas its nice to get something a little more special.

I reckon cone January I will be like "well, this one will dooooo.....ive no real neeeeeeed for the other one" - then will give it evils every time I use it grin

CalleighDoodle Thu 24-Dec-15 23:15:56

I once asked for al la catte kitchen. My dad didnt think it was worth the money and got me a small kitchen. I was very upset about it. Id dreamed about making jam roly poly and beans for my dad's breakfast in bed like in the advert...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now