Talk

Advanced search

Arghh! Click and collect gave me the wrong item for a Christmas present. WWYD?

(10 Posts)
SummerNights1986 Thu 24-Dec-15 17:23:06

I collected a present for my mum earlier today from Dunelm Mill. It's a table runner and 6 matching placemats, beige silky material with flowers on (is actually nicer than it sounds...vair posh wink ).

So when I collected it, the checkout man hunted around behind the counter and brought out the runner, which is packaged up so got a good view of it. The placemats you buy individually....so he held up a stack of them that he'd found said 'these ones?' and I agreed and in a bag they went. I only saw the top one and stupidly I didn't check the rest.

I've just opened them now, to wrap. I have TWO matching placemats in the same flower design...and 4 fucking different ones angry. They're the same colour and material, but don't have the flower design (which is all over) so are clearly different.

Do I:

A. Just give the table runner without any placemats and explain, then go back boxing day to get the right mats for her?

B. Give the runner and two matching mats, with the others to follow?

C. Say nothing, give it all, and pretend that it's a modern take on placemats, with only the two end ones matching the runner and the other 4 being plain?

I'm so annoyed with myself for leaving them until today to collect (I ordered them a week ago!) and then not checking them! angry

Euphemia Thu 24-Dec-15 17:24:36

A.

Essexgirlupnorth Thu 24-Dec-15 17:26:14

B

BaronessBomburst Thu 24-Dec-15 17:26:34

D) Give her what you've got, explain what happened, and then ask her if she'd like them all plain, matching, or a mixture.

Gobletofgin Thu 24-Dec-15 17:29:06

I would do b explaining the mistake.

SummerNights1986 Thu 24-Dec-15 17:30:22

Well I do love a consensus!

If nothing else, the first three replies have made me smile fgrin

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Thu 24-Dec-15 17:36:14

I would wrap it and deny all knowledge. Then offer to exchange after christmas

simplysarcastic Thu 24-Dec-15 17:47:45

I have a similar problem, I've been away and had some much wanted boots for my daughter delivered to my DM. I've collected them, the box says size 3, the despatch note says size 3 but the shoes are size 12. I'm going to wrap and blame Santa angry That may not work in your scenario though.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 24-Dec-15 17:53:47

She's an adult, so presumably isn't going to be upset that FC has made a mistake. Tell her what's happened and go and exchange the mats and/or runner at your earliest convenience. It won't ruin anyone's Christmas, promise.

Goingtobeawesome Thu 24-Dec-15 17:56:35

Give the runner only. Explain there are mats to come.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now