Talk

Advanced search

Sickened by Thai judge giving death sentence to Burmese migrants, but not at all surprised

(10 Posts)
DyslexicScientist Thu 24-Dec-15 10:35:48

Has anyone else been following this? No way did they have enough evidence to convict them in a uk court. But surprise surprise they found the migrants guilty and ignored the evidence of local thai gangs that were involved.

Not sure I'd want to go to Thailand again after this obvious miscarriage.

hefzi Thu 24-Dec-15 13:41:17

Unfortunately, the Burmese are treated as a complete underclass in Thailand, and it is not unknown for them to be fitted up for crimes as well - the default Thai position is that violent crime is always committed by foreigners.

I think this is an extremely unsafe conviction, but I am afraid that I am not surprised at all by it.

Enjolrass Thu 24-Dec-15 15:34:42

I haven't followed the case.

But the victims family say they feel justice has been served.

Their opinion is that the police investigation wasn't a shambles as was made out and that the two alleged murders were given a fair trial.

Wobblystraddle Thu 24-Dec-15 15:36:03

I know the family of one of the victims.

They don't feel justice has been well served.

Enjolrass Thu 24-Dec-15 15:43:37

The Miller family released a statment today saying they felt justice was served.

Hannah's family said they were 'confident' in the Thai Polices investigation, recently.

If they don't feel that way then hopefully they will speak up in support of these 2 convicted men.

I am sorry for your loss Wobbly

Andrewofgg Thu 24-Dec-15 16:32:06

I don't care if they had genuine confessions and DNA. Justice is not done where the death penalty follows.

mmgirish Thu 24-Dec-15 17:05:43

I live in Thailand. I think most foreigners here don't believe those Burmese men committed this crime. However, what the general wants, the general gets. That in this instance was a conviction that will restore faith in the police in a very popular tourist destination.

PrimeDirective Thu 24-Dec-15 17:46:20

It makes the tragedy of their murders even worse by knowing that 2 most likely innocent men will be murdered in the pretence that justice has been done and there isn't a murderer wandering free.

Wobblystraddle Thu 24-Dec-15 18:30:42

Enjoy please don't be sorry, I didnt know her. I am v good friends with a close relative though.

And obviously I can't speak for the family as I am not the family iyswim. But these sorts of cases, across continents and cultures, are far from clear cut, unfortunately sad

DyslexicScientist Thu 24-Dec-15 19:47:23

Oh wobbly I hope the family are OK and have not been pressured into saying they are happy. As a pp said it makes the whole tragedy even worse with this outcome. The Thai tourist industry got the result they wanted. sad

I have to admit I wouldn't want to support their economy again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now