Talk

Advanced search

To ease off the accelerator when I'm coming up to a stop rather than going straight from the accelerator to brake

(79 Posts)
DyslexicScientist Thu 24-Dec-15 08:14:15

When I'm driving and need to slow down rather than going straight from accelerator to brake I often just ease of the accelerator. Especially when I'm going from a 40 to a 30.

This seems to annoy some drivers, seeing a small gap in front. Someone today must of sped massively to overtake me. And started to brake sharpy he moment they overtook me. It was quite dangerous. I was doing about 42mph and letting the car slow a bit naturally in a 50mph zone. All that happened is the Car in front got to the traffic lights that were red a few seconds earlier.

RJnomore1 Thu 24-Dec-15 08:15:42

No you are supposed to do that. It means better fuel consumption and I think more control of the car too.

Some folk though are just idiots and for some reason driving brings out the worst in them.

Narp Thu 24-Dec-15 08:17:04

It also makes a smoother ride for your passengers

Pootles2010 Thu 24-Dec-15 08:17:35

Better to tap your brakes a little, to give drivers behind a heads up that you're slowing. I got minor on my test for that!

Chopz Thu 24-Dec-15 08:18:40

My driving instructor taught me to do this too. It's a more economic and environmental way of driving. It's also smoother ride wise. Ignore the testosterone speed freaks.

Chopz Thu 24-Dec-15 08:20:27

Id generally tap my breaks if there was a stupid driver too close behind or if I was stationary with a speedy car behind.

Narp Thu 24-Dec-15 08:21:38

Yes, you should not have to tap your brakes, but sometimes it's the best thing to do

DyslexicScientist Thu 24-Dec-15 08:35:17

OK thanks for that, I think I'll start to do the tap thing. Sometimes I think I'm the only one that doesn't drive like an idiot. Also today I'm leaving a larger braking distance and taking corners slower as its very wet and windy.

Dipankrispaneven Thu 24-Dec-15 08:35:50

My SiL's normal driving style is to keep going at full speed up to the stop line and then stamp on the brakes. I do all I can to avoid travelling with her as it makes me feel really quite ill.

Narp Thu 24-Dec-15 08:37:15

My SIL is the same. I feel sick even when I sit at the front. It's minicab driving

BrandNewAndImproved Thu 24-Dec-15 08:39:29

I do this, I change from fith the fourth when moving from a 40 to a 30 and ease off the accelerator then I don't need to break.

OurBlanche Thu 24-Dec-15 08:40:58

DO NOT start doing the little tap thing. That will distract you from your normal, perfectly good way of driving. DO NOT put yourself out like that, you only increase your own chance of an accident.

It is not how you drive that causes such shite driving in others, they are just shite, impatient twats.

Think of them as we do alcoholics: you did not cause it, you can't cure it, you can't control it.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Thu 24-Dec-15 09:01:09

It's the way us lorry drivers do it. Dip and Narp's SILs would get the sack where I work, because the tracker records harsh braking. I got 3 last month, but one colleague managed 47.

Tip: drop a gear or two before lifting off, as the engine braking is better.

BlackMarigold Thu 24-Dec-15 09:06:13

Easing off the accelerator is fine but best not to use the gears to slow down, i.e. changing from 4th to 3rd.
I used to do this until someone pointed out that it makes more sense to use the brakes as brake pads are cheaper to replace than gearbox smile.

Rinoachicken Thu 24-Dec-15 09:11:14

But if you don't use your brakes how do people behind you know you are slowing? That's seems dangerous to me

EveryoneAnon Thu 24-Dec-15 09:14:00

My husband brakes with the gears which does my head in!

You'd think he would avoid it because t make the engine noise high pitched until the car stops, you can hear the revs are unhealthily high when he does it but I googled it to show him it's not good for he car and couldn't find anything. Sigh.

So... It could be worse!

OurBlanche Thu 24-Dec-15 09:16:08

Because they are supposed to be driving with due care and attention!

Nobody drives at a constant speed, bends, cambers, other cars, possible dangers, we all assess them constantly. You don't expect someone to drive to a roundabout at 40mph and to stop instantly, you know they will be slowing down, assessing the situation and preparing to slow, stop or accelerate, so you drive to accommodate that.

If you don't manage it then you are the one in the wrong.

GravityLucy Thu 24-Dec-15 09:21:41

I had an advanced driving lesson and part of it was seeing if I could slow the car when the speed limit changed (say from 40 to 30) without touching the brakes.

coffeetasteslikeshit Thu 24-Dec-15 09:25:20

I thought that's how everyone drives? Although I have one friend whose driving makes me feel ill so maybe it's because she doesn't ease off the accelerator first?

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Thu 24-Dec-15 10:00:52

EveryoneAnon: it doesn't damage the gearbox. HGVs have always been slowed by dropping gears and restricting the exhaust. You try descending Sutton Bank on the brakes and they'll smell the burning in Thirsk!

NutBiscuit Thu 24-Dec-15 10:06:17

People using the brakes when they don't need to are a massive bugbear of mine on motorways. Instead of just lifting off the accelerator they use the brakes. The person behind sees the brake lights and brakes too, usually a bit harder and longer than the first person because they're not sure of their intentions. This goes on and on and before you know it, half a mile back the traffic has come to a complete standstill, all because of one person's brake taps. (Maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but it really does have a knock-on affect in busy (but moving) traffic)

OurBlanche Thu 24-Dec-15 10:19:02

That's not an exaggeration, NutBiscuit There are many recorded instances of this happening on busy motorways. There was a timeline of a traffic jam in one of those motorway maintenance programmes a few years ago... a tailgater braked suddenly, 5 miles behind the road came to a standstill.

We need more of those chevrons, people really don't seem to know what a safe driving space is!

megletthesecond Thu 24-Dec-15 10:27:29

rino and because they're not too close to the car in front..

I completed the majority of my advanced driving course and iirc you should let your engine slow done instead of braking all the time. Something to do with engine braking too, when you gently work down the gears.

our I love the chevrons. It's how I drive normally but fascinating when you notice other drivers finally stop trying to drive up your backside.

OurBlanche Thu 24-Dec-15 10:35:11

I love that moment. When the driver behind stops trying to get passed to drive in the huge gap in front of me and realises that it isn't all that big after all smile

I drive a soft top, 2-seat BMW, and I am female, I am supposed to be the worst driver on the road. It seems to confuse most people when I drive considerately, patiently, defensively.

WMittens Thu 24-Dec-15 10:39:29

Rinoachicken

But if you don't use your brakes how do people behind you know you are slowing? That's seems dangerous to me

Because the distance between their car and your car decreases. Seriously, does someone of driving age or older need that explaining?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now