Talk

Advanced search

Oh shit (literally)! Another crap Christmas

(29 Posts)
Piratepete1 Thu 24-Dec-15 01:06:27

Wondering when we are going to get a break regarding Christmas with little ones.
Christmas 1 - too far into the depths of PND to care
Christmas 2 - miscarried on Christmas day
Christmas 3 -Beloved grandfather diagnosed with sarcoma on Christmas Eve, leg amputated in early January, nan died of massive stroke shortly afterwards. Also in depths of PND 2

Now it is Xmas Eve and my poor 4YO is so excited about Christmas. It's the first one she's had. I thought I was so clever getting organised early so I could enjoy the last few days.

DH got the shits last night and has spent all today vomitting. I had my fingers crossed that it was food poisoning. I am now sat on the loo and it is not good news. I have also been violently sick. Surely it's impossible that the DC won't get this now? They have been all over me the last few days, lots of kisses and cuddles.

Surely we can't have another shit Christmas! I want to cry

Piratepete1 Thu 24-Dec-15 01:08:01

We already had to cancel our trip to Santa yesterday due to us feeling unwell.

Littlefluffyclouds81 Thu 24-Dec-15 01:12:48

Oh god. Poor you OP. Hope you feel better soon.

If it's any consolation there have been a few occasions where my two dc have had sickness bugs, and I've been the one cuddling them and clearing the sick up, but I've not caught the bug. So there's a chance your dc will avoid it.

milkbottle Thu 24-Dec-15 01:18:50

Hope you feel better soon, OP. Meanwhile, move the tree to the bathroom?

nashley Thu 24-Dec-15 01:19:19

Oh bless you All. My nephew has picked up chicken pox so know how you feel! Xmas is always the time when things go wrong - Sod's law. Try to enjoy the bits that you can, at least you are together smile big hugs

Headmelt Thu 24-Dec-15 01:28:23

Keep washing hands. Wipe door handles. Have separate plates/cups/glasses/cutlery and hopefully the dc will avoid getting sick. flowers Hope you both feel better by Christmas Day

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 24-Dec-15 01:49:37

We had a vomiting bug last year. It's rotten. On the plus side, no Christmas weight gain. fenvy

missingmumxox Thu 24-Dec-15 01:58:09

Trust me apart from a miscarriage, my last 17 beat yours, this year I have had nothing... Fingers crossed and I plan at a minute to midnight post in Facebook The Steve Coogan sketch "nobody died" try and have a happy day,I have managed to mostly xx

Mmmmcake123 Thu 24-Dec-15 01:58:35

flowers I really hope it doesn't turn out as bad as you fear. It's not a given they'll catch the bug and I so hope they don't and you feel better v v soon xx

Piratepete1 Thu 24-Dec-15 07:12:40

Thanks everyone. Have woken feeling a bit better so at least I know it's only a 24 hour thing. Better get that antibac out. I will clutch onto that no Xmas weight gain thought grin

MrsJayy Thu 24-Dec-15 07:19:06

Least you are feeling a bit better this morning do the antibacing and cross your fingers full fat cola is very good for the squits if the kids get it seems to stop it quicker Gp told me that a million years ago and it generally works

YouMakeMyDreams Thu 24-Dec-15 07:25:04

Glad you are feeling better. We actually joked this year that ds2 had to catch something this week. He is 5 and hasmade it traditional for him to be ill at Christmas. Last year we were all unwell and managed a frozen pizza for dinner.

MrsJayy Thu 24-Dec-15 07:29:57

Dd2 is the one who usually gets ill she has had ear infections tummy bugs but she has just got over chicken pox so <touch wood> will be uneventful this year,

Curlywurly4 Thu 24-Dec-15 07:37:10

DH had this last year on Christmas Day, it was grim but DS and I escape it luckily. Hope it passes your DC's by.

Hand wash constantly and hot wash towels/sheets/clothes. Antibac hand stuff doesn't work on stomach bugs as its viral and you need to rub the spores off to prevent infecting others. Fingers crossed you have a good Christmas!

TingleBells Thu 24-Dec-15 07:37:16

I hope that you enjoy your Christmas this year. I had severe PND twice and wouldn't wish it on anybody. Happy Christmas Pirate!

HeteronormativeHaybales Thu 24-Dec-15 07:46:59

Last year dh and I had a grim D&V bug at the same time (urgh). One dc didn't get it and the other did but it was out of his system after one tough night. We were over it fairly quickly too (though it was pretty much the definition of 'short sharp shock').

I hope things look up for you soon.

Piratepete1 Thu 24-Dec-15 22:41:59

Both of us are feeling better and no signs of the kids having it yet! Please please please let us have a good Xmas fconfused

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 24-Dec-15 22:43:52

Hooray. Definitely a Merry Christmas.

Snoopadoop Thu 24-Dec-15 22:45:58

Fingers crossed OP! I'm sick every Christmas without fail so I sympathise.

Dungandbother Thu 24-Dec-15 22:51:48

One year DD had a sick bug on Xmas day. Think she was 2 maybe.

Fine, lets get on with it.... Except the boiler broke. No heat, no hot water.

Luckily my mum was in Scotland. I just went to her house.

Hope you have a good one

FadedRed Thu 24-Dec-15 22:56:40

flowers Op, what awful timing when you deserve a nice Christmas this year.
BTW it's bleach you need to be using, not antibacterial.

ouryve Thu 24-Dec-15 23:11:01

Oh, yuck sad

Hoping you're all OK for a do over at new year.

We had one spectacularly shit year when someone managed to be ill on every single birthday or special day - the highlight of the year being 2 lots of chicken pox at Easter. This was after DH had spent Valentine's day puking. When DS2 came down ill on Mothers', I demanded a do over on the American mothers' day. DH bought me some chocolates for my second go and I broke a damned tooth on one! Meantime, DS2 woke up on his birthday with a fever and a torticollis. T'other one was ill on Father's day, then DH and I both had stinking colds for our birthdays in October. DS1's birthday in December arrived with us all in good health - but snowed in!

Timing can be a bugger flowers

notquitehuman Fri 25-Dec-15 09:21:18

I hope you are feeling better and able to salvage the day! You can always have a christmas day 2 in few days when everyone is well. Sounds like a real bugger though.

YBR Fri 25-Dec-15 15:24:45

DH and I had a sickness bug, but DD avoided it. We were so ill we had to pack them off to friends but she never had more than a cold. Hoping that it works like that for you.

HermioneWeasley Fri 25-Dec-15 15:41:00

I've got this. Not sure eating Christmas dinner was a wise choice for first solid food in 36 hours. Sitting on sofa with ominous cramps....but it was delicious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now