Talk

Advanced search

To not give the taxi driver a Christmas tip?

(18 Posts)
EdmundSlackbladder Wed 23-Dec-15 23:14:07

Because he chewed gum really loudly the entire journey. I hate, hate, HATE the sound of chewing. I always use the same firm to get home from work and they are really nice chaps. But chewing noises give me the rage. So rather than politely ask him to stop I have instead decided to silently seethe and withhold his Christmas tip. That'll show him right??
..........Right?

FlatOnTheHill Wed 23-Dec-15 23:33:22

I think they charge enough anyway. Yep chewing would get my goat too.

thecitydoc Thu 24-Dec-15 10:16:50

I don't understand why anyone tips a taxi driver, or anyone else for that matter. I will be 60 next year and have never left a tip

firesidechat Thu 24-Dec-15 10:20:04

Well I'm 52 and have always tipped - hairdressers, taxi drivers, pizza delivery guys.

DyslexicScientist Thu 24-Dec-15 10:20:29

I'd only tip people that aren't paid enough (us wait staff) or people I want to motivate and build a good relationship with.

Yanbu. It shouldn't be the norm to tip anyone in the UK, we have a min wage.

thecitydoc Thu 24-Dec-15 10:29:40

firesidechat - why only those - never understood why only certain groups of workers are seen as meriting a tip, while loads of other low paid workers are not.

DyslexicScientist - is that all low paid workers who provide you with a service or only waiters, hairdressers - the usual suspects. There are many low paid workers doing a sterling job and no one ever thinks of giving them a tip

firesidechat Thu 24-Dec-15 10:34:07

I should have added restaurant staff too.

Aren't these the staff that are traditionally tipped. I do it because I want to. I have probably used a taxi once in the last 10 years, so tipping isn't exactly breaking the bank. The only one I'm a bit unsure about is the hairdresser and I haven't tipped for a while because the place where I go doesn't let you tip on the card and I rarely have cash (just like the Queen).

Osolea Thu 24-Dec-15 11:05:57

You aren't obliged to tip anyway, but you definitely shouldn't tip if you got crap or mediocre service. Which you did if he was being so rude as to chew loudly.

Tips are for recognition of excellent service that goes above and beyond expectation, I don't think it's relevant how much someone earns.

firesidechat Thu 24-Dec-15 11:49:33

I agree and I'm not a total mug. Bad service in a restaurant means no tip. I don't chew gum, but I would hate to be sat in a car all day, so whatever gets him through. It wouldn't bother me enough to withhold a tip as long as he got me from a to b in good time and safely.

BatsUpMyNightie Thu 24-Dec-15 12:02:38

I don't understand this tipping people when you're already paying them handsomely for a service. Unless, of course, he got you a little something? Did he?
Anyway YANBU on the gum. That and the sound of whistling set my teeth right on edge!

hefzi Thu 24-Dec-15 12:55:43

I always tip taxi drivers: I think that's why I can always get a taxi when it's pouring down and rush hour, when other people are being told to ring back in half an hour <smug>

Katedotness1963 Thu 24-Dec-15 13:14:42

I tip the taxi driver, God knows why though. They used to get out of the car and give you a hand, now they just sit on their arse while you struggle with your shopping/cases/laundry basket, getting it in and out of the boot.

CherryPits Thu 24-Dec-15 13:16:39

Oh what a lot of Bah Humbug on here. Holiday Cheer everyone, spirit of generosity and all that!

Doublebubblebubble Thu 24-Dec-15 13:22:38

hefzi I do the same... Dont think I've ever been told I cant get a taxi. I could call during the school run and get one lol. I always tip but I always always tip more at Christmas x

Doublebubblebubble Thu 24-Dec-15 13:23:26

*for good service

Op I think yanbu(ish) I hate loud chewing too

WheresLarry Thu 24-Dec-15 13:29:21

I always tip. I think it depends on the council, where I live a lot of taxi drivers aren't allowed to pick up off the street, they have to be booked through the office so many drivers aren't continuously busy, I imagine their hourly rate is pretty dismal, especially during the day.

However I am biased as my dad is a taxi driver and I know he isn't paid well for it. He is competing against a lot of other drivers and has to deal with drunk people, druggies, people doing a runner without paying. It's certainly not an easy job.

AutumnLeavesArePretty Thu 24-Dec-15 13:30:27

I never tip taxis or hairdressers, I may do in a restaurant if the service was outstanding. They get paid a salary for the service, if SE then they can offset many things against tax so lucrative.

I prefer to show appreciation to those that make a difference to mine or my children's lives, the volunteers and teaching staff that go above and beyond what they are paid for.

Aeroflotgirl Thu 24-Dec-15 14:23:49

I tip a taxi driver if he is nice and helpful, like helping me which shopping or buggy out of the taxi and in, if he does not, then I don't tip, or if he is very friendly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now