Talk

Advanced search

To be pissed off about 'ideal gift' articles in papers and magazines

(10 Posts)
liinyo Wed 23-Dec-15 20:21:55

I get so irritated at this time of year at the endless articles and features in newspapers and magazines proporting to offer the ideal gift for mums/teenagers/10 year old boys etc.

Firstly, it seems to be lazy journalism. Instead of researching and writing a proper feature the journos can just cut and paste a load of crappy press releases and pretend it's an article. Why are journalists so busy that they can't just work as normal in the months and weeks leading up to Christmas and give us something substantial to read.

Secondly, it is so unrealistic . They recommend cashmere scares for auntie and designer handbags for the teenage niece. Because we all have a bottomless pit of money to spend.

Thirdly ( and most importantly) it is so damn patronising - the perfect gift for mum is a Michael Buble CD/pack of toiletries from Boots. The perfect gift for dad is a gardening book/MU scarf. As if the act of giving birth/ejaculating/being a teenager etc means we become consumer clones all desiring the same piece of mass produced, over priced tat

Last year I bought my DM (72 years old) a small stepladder. It cost £30.00 and she cried with joy. You never see that on the list of ideal gifts for granny do you?

SalemSaberhagen Wed 23-Dec-15 20:37:30

I see your point, but they recommend things that will appeal to the mass market.

Otherwise it would just be a list of 'things you could buy'.

Choughed Wed 23-Dec-15 20:43:37

YABU only because lazy journalism is rife all year round, as is recommending stuff only 0.001% of the population can afford.

Now, tell me where you get mini stepladders, I really fancy one smile

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Wed 23-Dec-15 20:46:35

Sorrt you forgot the lacy undies ... because after all the wrapping shopping and cooking he`ll be too tired to wear them.blush

Nonidentifyingnc Wed 23-Dec-15 20:47:38

I hate those crappy CDs sold as perfect presents for mum. Usually Daniel O Donnell or some such shite!

Catsize Wed 23-Dec-15 21:23:41

Are you sure in was 'with joy' OP? wink

HighwayDragon1 Wed 23-Dec-15 21:25:32

Yanbu, I've bought my mum placemats santa

CFSsucks Wed 23-Dec-15 21:28:37

YANBU, I don't think I've ever seen a single thing on these lists that I thought was a good idea for the person in question, yes I'm sure my football loving, snooker playing dad would love some bloody gardening gloves.

I always loathe the crap CDs they recommend for mums. Never my type of music at all, who exactly does Michael Buble appeal to? I'd guess old grans (not mine though).

SantaOnnaMincePieSugarHigh Wed 23-Dec-15 21:30:40

Mil took her own mil to a Daniel O'Donnell concert once as a present. They went by coach with fifty other old dears all raucously singing his tunes. Apparently Mil was the youngest by about 20 years. She was 55 at the time.

Seriouslyffs Wed 23-Dec-15 21:39:47

I stopped ranting at the crap that passes for feature journalism in magazines when I realsed that most articles are written by interns or callow 22 year olds on £12000/ year. They sit down with a pile of freebies and press releases and churn them out between coffee runs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now