Talk

Advanced search

...to deprive DC of Panto

(47 Posts)
Acostapurposes Wed 23-Dec-15 18:44:26

I went for the first time today. I have moved to a small, parochial town and most of my parent friends were going. They go en masse every year. So I decided to see what all the fuss was about.

It was dreadful and far too long.

Im now scared that I will be press ganged into doing this for next ten years!

People are so passionate about this over here.

Did I just see a bad performance? Shall I give it another chance?

DC will want to go as all their friends go but at 25 quid per head and time I'll never get back, would it be unreasonable to just say no?

How do I tell this jolly lot that I think panto is.... well... pants?

Stuffofawesome Wed 23-Dec-15 18:46:18

YANBU. pantos are dreadful. We avoid at all costs.

Leeds2 Wed 23-Dec-15 19:03:37

Cannot stand them! Luckily, DD feels the same.

Next year, it might be possible to get a friend to take DS if you offer to have her DC for another afternoon so that you can both do child free shopping/wrapping/cleaning.

Acostapurposes Wed 23-Dec-15 19:05:02

The thing is... I don't want to encourage DC's like of this craps theatre when there is so much better out there

CharleyDavidson Wed 23-Dec-15 19:10:24

Not all pantos are equal.

The panto I used to take my kids to, we no longer go to. We went because it was a professional standard performance with funny jokes and bright costumes and was mostly acted well.

The one we go to now is closer to home and much, much better. It's hilarious and very well acted (with the appropriate over-acting in parts too). Even DD1 who is 14 and very hard ot impress loves going. It is also very professional in standard and is a rock and roll panto where all the actors also play the instruments and sing to a very good quality.

I also have been to this town's amateur production. It was....OK. It helps very much that my friend's child was in it and my Uncle is the Dame so we go to appreciate it for what it is. Funny but not brilliant.

Acostapurposes Wed 23-Dec-15 19:12:52

The one I went to had a d list sleb

CremeBrulee Wed 23-Dec-15 19:15:50

You have to the find one for your family. We don't like the big name, big venue ones - really vety crude and too formulaic.

Also not keen on amdram/theatre school ones - tend to be overlong to everyone a chance to shine and written by keen amateurs who desperately need an editor. We went to see DDs friend in hers last year - 3 1/2 hours long! It was like war and peace rather than Cinderella!

We do like the middle ground - small professional shows at local theatres. Tend to be tightly scripted, cast have reasonable singing voices and not so rude!

SparklesandBangs Wed 23-Dec-15 19:23:15

Never been so grateful for a DC who was scared of panto, then when she was old enough to know better we went to one, it was awful most of the 'gags' were aimed at the adults yet it had tracy beaker in so the kids were bored. Not been since and won't unless it is a lot cal production with friends in.

PuntasticUsername Wed 23-Dec-15 19:24:08

Are you being unreasonable?

OH, NO YOU'RE NOT.

Sorry, somebody had to.

eckythumpenallthat Wed 23-Dec-15 19:24:56

You are sooooo not being unreasonable

Panto = hell on earth

iklboo Wed 23-Dec-15 19:29:02

We love them - and used to love doing them. It really shouldn't last longer than 1hr 45 max or your audience flags - especially teenies.

megletthesecond Wed 23-Dec-15 19:33:53

Yanbu. We went to a nice panto in a small town (not even d list slebs) but I didn't have to pay. Apparently our local one is £20 a ticket shock.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Wed 23-Dec-15 19:43:38

I hate the standard 'e list celeb & has been comic' type panto, but our local indie theatre does a spanking one each year. We went to see sleeping beauty this year and it was ace. I think it really does depend on the panto.

In your case if not deprive your child of the fun of going each year, if he has enjoyed it. If he can go with friends it's not just about the product, it's about the experience smile

Acostapurposes Wed 23-Dec-15 19:59:57

But I found it offensive to have to cough up this amount of money for such crap theatre! I don't want my child turninginto a philistine!!! fgrin

CastaDiva Wed 23-Dec-15 20:00:08

I absolutely loathe everything about them, and I've been to every variety from the small city Irish version with local comedians and the stage school kids from across the road, to Ian McKellen as the Widow Twankey at the Old Vic.

BooOzMoo Wed 23-Dec-15 20:00:51

Our panto has no Selebs!!!
It's amazing and we are in year 4 now. My disabled DS 6 LOVES It !!!

turkeyboots Wed 23-Dec-15 20:06:02

Thankfully DC school take them to the local Panto. Haven't been to one in over 10 years and hopefully will be another 10 before I have to go again.

BoneyBackJefferson Wed 23-Dec-15 20:28:08

PuntasticUsername

I was hoping that that would be the entire thread smile

defineme Wed 23-Dec-15 20:31:39

My kids school takes them , as do Brownies and Scouts. I have never been and do wonder if I have missed out, but it's not bucket list material!

pretend Wed 23-Dec-15 20:33:02

You miserable buggers.

I took DD to her first one today. It was brill.

No slebs, just a small ensemble cast who acted, danced, sang and played every instrument imaginable.

Proper talent, and properly funny. My face was aching by the end grin

teacherwith2kids Wed 23-Dec-15 20:39:16

I would agree that it depends. Our town has a 'celeb free' professional panto, with a tight ensemble of actors [and a clown] who do it every year, and some extras to keep it fresh each time. Tightly scripted, genuinely hilarious, clean enough to take my mother to.

We used to live near a small town with an even smaller but equally professional and hilarious outfit.

But i would run a mile from any panto whose selling point is its celeb.

TeenAndTween Wed 23-Dec-15 20:39:37

YABVU

Our local AmDram does a fantastic quality panto in their own theatre for £12 a head.

You need to find a better value panto.

paramedicswift Wed 23-Dec-15 20:39:49

I was subjected to pantomines as a child. Never would I inflict such a thing on anyone else.

PuntasticUsername Wed 23-Dec-15 20:42:14

Boney I was far more pleased than I should have been that I got here first with it smile

Costacoffeeplease Wed 23-Dec-15 20:43:33

I loathe panto with a passion - and did as a child too - awful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now