Talk

Advanced search

No Secret Santa present for me.

(97 Posts)
Kittymum03 Wed 23-Dec-15 14:52:15

I'm pretty sure I'm being ridiculous,but I started a new job in August.I hate it,can't stand it.But I try to get on with people,I have a laugh with them and try to remain 'neutral' amongst the (lots of) in-squabbling.
I've had a crappy year in general.I bought my Secret Santa gift,took time chosing something,spent the amount I should,and placed in on the shelf.I've checked,and there isn't one for me sad

It was my last shift before Xmas, so I won't get one now.Aibu that this bothers me? Just a rant really.

Supermanspants Wed 23-Dec-15 14:53:56

Is it possible that your secret Santa didn't know this would be your last shift before Xmas?

TheWitTank Wed 23-Dec-15 14:54:11

Yeah, that's shitty. Have some flowers and wine from me and enjoy your Christmas.

ThursdayLastWeek Wed 23-Dec-15 14:55:41

Well I don't think YABU to be upset.
Hopefully you just got someone really disorganised and there'll be something waiting for you after Xmas.

Kittymum03 Wed 23-Dec-15 14:56:09

Well,it's possible,but the rota is kind of there for everybody to see,so they could of checked.Also,the deadline for presents was the 16th,although obviously some came a few days late.
I'm just feeling sorry for myself,and wishing I hadn't put effort into mine!

Kittymum03 Wed 23-Dec-15 14:58:15

Oh,thank you for not calling me ridiculous! I know it's all nonsense really.I wouldn't normally care,im just trying so hard to fit in,and this feels like a slap in the face.

Lisad1975 Wed 23-Dec-15 15:01:08

I would be a bit irritated tbh but it's possible they not brought it in yet!
We did ours at our meal out and it so stupid as a few people do not spend the full £10 if I buy something for £6 then I get something for £4 to make up but no I get a large bottle of bubbly on offer for £7.99 in sainsburys cos she told me!! Friend got £6 body cream ! Ridiculous! Opt out cos I am next year !

daisychain01 Wed 23-Dec-15 15:03:41

👠👜👗🎁🎂🎈🎄
not sure if these emoticons will show up but....
sorry they aren't wrapped but I've spent a small fortune on you so you'd better be happy with it grin
Jimmy choos
Mulberry handbag
posh frock. Etc

YANBU to feel left out, miserable b's!

Kittymum03 Wed 23-Dec-15 15:03:50

grin I don't think we can,the box was just thrust at me with a 'Pick one,spend a Tenner,in by 16th' I spent £9 but really tried hard to get something nice.

SwedishEdith Wed 23-Dec-15 15:05:18

Of course yanbu. God, I'm glad I'm not involved in any Secret Santas atm. I'd only do it if I could choose all the other people in the group now.

DragonsCanHop Wed 23-Dec-15 15:07:32

You are right to feel upset, is anyone off ill, they may be your SS?

Kittymum03 Wed 23-Dec-15 15:07:34

I love that,daisy, Thank you! I stormed out without saying goodbye earlier as I couldn't face the whole 'Have a lovely Christmas' pretending we are friends,nonsense.
I'm very,very shy and it takes real effort for me to chat to people,but I've been trying so hard.

Kittymum03 Wed 23-Dec-15 15:09:55

Well there's One particularly bitch girl who's been off,but she was back this week.The problem is,i'm seeing it as 'Right.This proves they all hate me' like they all got together and planned to not get me anything grin

hellsbellsmelons Wed 23-Dec-15 15:10:10

There's been a few of these threads, you are NOT alone.
I got shafted good a proper at work this year.
Won't be partaking next and year and will make damn sure they all know why.

Kittymum03 Wed 23-Dec-15 15:11:40

Sorry,that was bitchy girl,I havnt just taken to calling her 'bitch girl'

Kittymum03 Wed 23-Dec-15 15:13:01

Well if I'm still there next year I will be desperately unhappy.I made a pact with my nephew that we will both have new jobs next Christmas.

bloodyteenagers Wed 23-Dec-15 15:15:32

We had 8. Yes 8 prats that took a name, received a gift but bought nothing. Don't know who these arses are. There was no-one sick. Everyone knew the date to hand in.

Decided next year that one person who is trusted is running it, and everyone discloses to that person who they have picked out.

There was also lots of putting names back in and best mates picking each other... And others went to pick a name and none left.

Really badly organised by someone that couldn't organise that alphabet.

Kittymum03 Wed 23-Dec-15 15:18:10

Oh yes there was loads of that,picking a name then putting it back,giggling and whispering.
Well,I feel a bit better that it's not just me.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Wed 23-Dec-15 15:19:27

I wish my department would stop doing them. We swap them at the department lunch. The person in charge doesn't know who selected whom but he or she does keep a check list of who hands in a present so anyone not putting a present in is known.

Our budget is £10. I got an impossible person this year and rather than wasting time trying got him anything at that level got him Thomas Pink cufflinks at £25 , which required no thought or effort at all.

Whoever gave me mine last year gave me 2 beautiful cat related books (one of which I'd been going to buy anyway) which were also way over budget.

MaxPepsi Wed 23-Dec-15 15:19:50

YANBU

People use it as a cop out.

At work I have been 'forgotten' twice and on another occasion got the strangest present ever which was of no use at all.

I even just done it with a group of close friends. £15 budget. My 'friend' couldn't even be bothered to spend that much on me. I think I know which one it was and she has form for being a tight arse over certain things!

SwedishEdith Wed 23-Dec-15 15:21:43

Ooh, yes, the organiser should weed out tight people.

Headmelt Wed 23-Dec-15 15:21:56

They have secret Santa at my dfriend's work place, he always forgets. One year one of his colleagues bought a gift on his behalf and he paid her for it so the person he picked would get a gift.

DamsenBerry Wed 23-Dec-15 15:22:23

This happened to me last year. We all sat there round the table on Xmas eve, I worked in a bar so we worked Xmas eve night. The gifts were handed out, and I sat there empty handed. Despite it being glaringly obvious, only one person mentioned it.

It really bothered me at the time, and to be honest its not very nice thinking back. Someone definitely picked my name, and just decided not to bother with me. How nice. You're not at all ridiculous to be bothered in my opinion.

Kittymum03 Wed 23-Dec-15 15:24:09

Max,that's rough.
It's so hard starting a new job isn't it,I didn't want anything nice,just an empty box wrapped up,to show someone had thought of me..

GwynethPaltrowIamNot Wed 23-Dec-15 15:24:11

No they are wankers
You are not
Forget about them and enjoy your time off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now