Talk

Advanced search

Am I being unreasonable to sometimes read posts on AIBU and get depressed to think these people are mums?

(21 Posts)
ftm123 Wed 23-Dec-15 13:53:30

Every now and then I read a post and feel sorry for the kid growing up with a parent of that viewpoint, and despair for the future of humanity. AIBU?

fgrinwinesanta

ilovesooty Wed 23-Dec-15 13:56:15

I get depressed when I think of one or two posters living in society at all, with or without children, but I have to accept that they are.

knobblyknee Wed 23-Dec-15 14:09:32

YANBU, but thats not very sisterly of you. fgrin

catfordbetty Wed 23-Dec-15 14:13:17

I ... despair for the future of humanity

I feel you may be overstating your case somewhat. There will always be more good people than bad.

goodnightdarthvader1 Wed 23-Dec-15 14:13:22

What sooty said.

Sparklingbrook Wed 23-Dec-15 14:17:55

Don't get too depressed, loads of AIBU is made up old cobblers or a grain of truth embellished beyond recognition.

TheWitTank Wed 23-Dec-15 14:19:03

No. Half of the stuff posted now (or more) is of dubious origin anyway. I can't form opinions on people I'm not sure actually exist. This is especially the case with the more outlandish, inflammatory posts. Who am I to say who makes a good parent anyway? Some might think I'm crap and that my ideals are all wrong. My friend thinks I'm a maniac for allowing my 10 year old to show jump a pony. I think she's bonkers for for co-sleeping. We are still friends, we just accept that we have different ideas and get on with it.

Birdsgottafly Wed 23-Dec-15 14:27:02

""There will always be more good people than bad.""

Unfortunately there isn't.

Our laws, housing policies and the need for no criminal convictions to work, stops most people from causing bother to others.

It's the lack of general knowledge, the not understanding what's it like to not have enough money to live on, living in crap housing and World knowledge, that astounds me.

Go to countries that don't have this and People are assaulted, raped and murdered, treated badly, daily.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 23-Dec-15 14:29:31

no YABU. However i am glad I dont know quite a few of the bitchier posters IRL

exLtEveDallas Wed 23-Dec-15 14:31:40

What sort of posts OP? I don't think I've ever seen a post makes me think that a poster shouldn't be a parent.

ftm123 Wed 23-Dec-15 14:32:29

To be clear. I am half joking, and certainly don't think everyone I disagree with shouldn't have children, or more in the case of some posts think the illogical or downright rude should be neutered. I have also accidentally stumbled on some seriously scary views on the internet, which really freak me out that someone could have typed, so mumsnet really is quite mild. But, every now and then, when I am skimming through posts in the middle of the night while nursing, i will read something that triggers unsisterly thoughts!

Enjolrass Wed 23-Dec-15 14:36:39

Yanbu.

There are posters I am glad I don't know in RL.

Some sound more interested in their dickhead boyfriend, than their kids.

Some are quite mean, some live to spread misery.

But a lot of posters are lovely.

I take quite a lot with a pinch of salt, though.

On the knobhead boyfriends one I think (especially when the poster posts again and again about the same knobhead) that it's either not true or not as bad as they make out.

But if they are true, they were always out there. We just didn't know.

ImperialBlether Wed 23-Dec-15 14:47:32

Lots of things on here shock me. The number of people who casually get pregnant really gets to me - I grew up in the 70s when there were women fighting for the right to the Pill and free contraception - I wonder what happened there, when so many women don't even think of going for the morning after pill, never mind taking precautions in advance. The number of lazy men gets to me, too, plus of course the abusive bastards who make me feel sick. The sheer nastiness of some posters is really horrible, too - especially those who turn when someone says something they don't like and you see their true nature emerge.

90sforever Wed 23-Dec-15 14:49:03

Not at all, there are far, far crazier people on FB than on here. MN is relatively intelligent compared to local FB groups (not saying much I know)

TheWitTank Wed 23-Dec-15 14:52:01

Don't you always think the nastiest, bitchiest posters are the ones that in RL wouldn't say boo to a goose? I imagine they get on the Internet and say everything they wouldn't have the balls to say to someone's face (however much they insist they would). I actually know a MN in RL who doesn't know I know who she is. She is really nice, but isn't the person she appears to be on here at all.

CantSleepClownsWillEatMe Wed 23-Dec-15 15:03:29

Agree with you Op. Sometimes I read a thread and am shocked by the selfishness or ignorance of some posters, it does make me wonder how some people are raising their children/functioning in society.

I do think it's gotten worse on MN over the last while, people being nasty for the sake of it. Maybe they aren't like that in real life or maybe they don't have the nerve as in RL there would likely be consequences. I reckon people show their true colours if they are being nasty on line just because they can get away with it.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 23-Dec-15 15:03:30

TheWitTank you just made a lot of people very nervous I bet grin

TheWitTank Wed 23-Dec-15 15:27:15

grin I would never ever be mean enough to point out that I knew. She's a really nice girl, but her posts are a little...embellished, shall we say?! It's clearly her outlet, and that's fine. But it has proved that we should all take everything on here with a huge pinch of salt.

blueshoes Wed 23-Dec-15 15:47:35

examples please

Crazypetlady Wed 23-Dec-15 16:18:31

YANBU. I see the people on accent threads acting superior to those with strong regional accents.Or the people who say it's easy for overweight people to lose weight and they are just lazy or the people that judge dummies etc. I just think what sort of views are you passing onto your children ?It doesn't give me hope for society.

I know those aren't the worst reasons but I went blank.

Sparklingbrook Wed 23-Dec-15 16:25:43

Oh the accent threads are depressing. Same as the instant coffee snobbery ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now