Talk

Advanced search

To want an early night

(18 Posts)
Gailplattsmissingchin Wed 23-Dec-15 12:56:33

Dss and dsd want to stay with us for hogmany.
I have a 5 week old ds and Dh is working that night until 5am.
My plan is to have a small baileys and crawl into bed about 10, ready for the 4am feed.
I don't want two teens trying to stay up past their bed time because it is a special night.
I might BU. I'm knackered. And
Sore

Enjolrass Wed 23-Dec-15 13:09:43

How old are they?

Can you leave them up with strict instructions to keep the noise down?

LillyBugg Wed 23-Dec-15 13:12:55

Why do they want to stay?

Gailplattsmissingchin Wed 23-Dec-15 19:28:55

Their mum is going out and they don't wanna be stuck at their grans lol they are 13 and 14.

LillyBugg Wed 23-Dec-15 19:32:55

I'm no expert at all but at that age I reckon you could leave them to it. They'll know you want to be in bed with baby and I'm sure they will just watch the good tv, the fireworks and then no doubt fall asleep on the sofa. If they're usually trustworthy, just give them strict instructions and let them get on with it.

VashtaNerada Wed 23-Dec-15 19:36:58

5 week old? I wouldn't want two teenagers round if I could help it! Can you just say that you're worried about the baby waking them up at 4am and they might be happier at their gran's after all?

SixtyFootDoll Wed 23-Dec-15 19:41:46

I'd leave them to stay up and watch tv if they want to, you can go to bed.
They don't need constant supervision.
Leave them some snacks.

acquiescence Wed 23-Dec-15 19:47:55

5 week old sleeping from 10 til 5am? Sounds amazing!

TooShyShyHushHush Wed 23-Dec-15 19:58:15

Load up the snacks and leave them to it. You don't have to supervise them at that age surely.

QuiteLikely5 Wed 23-Dec-15 20:00:22

At their age you can carry out your original plans. Be pleased they want to spend time with you!

Hihohoho1 Wed 23-Dec-15 20:03:42

Some of us spread our kids over years so had babies, toddlers and teens all together. It's no big deal they are quite old enough to watch the tele and eat crap without disturbing you.

Mind you op if any of my babies had slept from 10 pm to 4 am At 5 weeks I would have died of happiness I think. grin

Hihohoho1 Wed 23-Dec-15 20:06:58

VashtaNerada

I think that approach would be disastrous to family harmony and sibling /step mum relations.

theycallmemellojello Wed 23-Dec-15 20:19:21

YANBU to go to bed at 10 of course. But it would be U to tell them they're not welcome (not sure if that was an option or this is just a rant) - why shouldn't they be at their dad's house on a holiday (or whenever)? And it would obviously BU to make them go to bed before midnight just because you want to! As others have said, leave them to it.

Gailplattsmissingchin Wed 23-Dec-15 20:52:58

He has been sleeping 10/11ish til 4/5ish for about a week now.
Half of me wants them to come stay for a bit of company, but part of me is so exhausted and just wants a night just me and ds.
But I might just load up on juice and sweeties and leave them to it.

Gailplattsmissingchin Wed 23-Dec-15 20:54:08

That's it though theycallme, if they want a late night, our house is not the best place to be right now- we are all knackered!

sunnyawry Wed 23-Dec-15 21:14:29

This is probably not a popular view but I think if their parent is working then you've every right to refuse. I know they may not need 'looking after' exactly but it's still not the same as an empty quiet house and you're still basically needing to be the responsible adult on duty. Luckily you have a good sleeper but for a lot of mums of 5 week olds, that 10-2 ish time would be your best chance of a good chunk of sleep. It's not really fair for you to have to be providing free childcare for someone else's night out.

SixtyFootDoll Wed 23-Dec-15 21:22:00

It is only for one night, I'm sure you can manage.

Gailplattsmissingchin Wed 23-Dec-15 21:42:46

I'm sure I would manage.
I'm not sure I said I wouldn't cope, I said I couldn't be arsed, I want to crawl into bed and only be responsible for my baby and myself that night.
I know they will sit up late then struggle to get up in the morning and be grumpy and tired and then moan that the baby is crying etc and Dh will be knackered from
Work so we will all be grumpy...
Happy new year! Lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now