Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to not wrap all the pressies?

(25 Posts)
QueenArseClangers Wed 23-Dec-15 12:21:17

We're having a pretty shit time at the moment.
I've got a post op infection and feeling vile, we have 5DC, my elderly DM is unwell so I've had to care for her and DH is working until Xmas eve 6pm.

All our Xmas organising plans have gone out of the window. We're having to do our big food shop tonight (inlaws have decided to grace us with 2 hours babysitting for the 2 primary schoolers but the toddler as too much) and we've still got ALL the kids' presents to wrap.
Plus a big tidy and sort out room and bed for elderly DM to stay over.

I can't bend down because of nasty wound site and the pain has me in tears most of the time.
Would I be unreasonable to get DH to get shit loads of gift bags from the £1 shop and bung stuff in there for Father Christmas to bring?

And yes, I know it's a first world problem smile

whois Wed 23-Dec-15 12:22:05

Absolutely not U to put things in gift bags. Totally fine.

froggyjump Wed 23-Dec-15 12:23:07

Gift bags count as present wrapping. fsmileflowers

Danglyweed Wed 23-Dec-15 12:24:20

But half the kids fun at xmas is unwrapping the presents. Cant your dh wrap them?

howabout Wed 23-Dec-15 12:25:03

YANBU

How old are the oldest DC? I have a teenager who likes making parcels, so she did most of the wrapping for me.

LadyNym Wed 23-Dec-15 12:25:21

How old are the older kids? Could they help with wrapping? I would have but then we only had stockings from Father Christmas and all other presents were from parents etc. so it wouldn't have spoiled anything (if that makes sense)?

But, no, I don't think there's anything wrong with going down the gift bag route.

MummySparkle Wed 23-Dec-15 12:25:38

Gift bags all the way! That and tissue paper that can be scrunched around things with minimal tape and minimal bending down. Or tin foil for scrunching? I'd be inclined to do tissue paper for in the stockings if you can and gift bags for under the tree.

YADNBU here. Do whatever you can manage, the older DCs will understand and the younger ones won't remember x

PurpleHairAndPearls Wed 23-Dec-15 12:26:23

YANBU but if DH could get some tissue paper you could get him to just wrap the items loosely in the paper before putting in the bag? No folding and sellotaping but DC get to tear paper off?

And the tissue paper can be used for crafts later (haha) winkgrin

Take it easy. Hope you feel better soon.

DragonsCanHop Wed 23-Dec-15 12:28:07

Sorry you are having a hard time of it flowers how old are your DC, I'm wondering if one or two of the older ones can wrap the younger ones presents and then Dh wrap the others in the Christmas Eve evening?

SettlingInNicely Wed 23-Dec-15 12:31:32

Gift bags are wrapping!

In our house Santa presents and presents in a stocking or not wrapped at all. More environmentally friendly! wink

AutumnLeavesArePretty Wed 23-Dec-15 12:33:49

I'd try and wrap, children love unwrapping and it's not as fun to just look inside a gift bag.

Your comment over your ILs is a little uncalled for, they are helping you out and are honest in that they can't cope with all your children. They could have said no to any. If they pick up on it, they may never childmind for you again.

Damselindestress Wed 23-Dec-15 12:34:52

I winced just from your description of the wound. I really feel for you, Christmas is stressful enough without that to deal with. I think your DC would rather have you as well as possible on Christmas than the 'fun' of unwrapping presents. Keep things as simple as possible to enjoy what really matters, time with family. Go with gift bags and scrunching tissue around things like pp suggested is a good idea too. Accept as much help as possible, do you have any siblings who could help with your DM? I hope you feel better soon!

Greengardenpixie Wed 23-Dec-15 12:54:57

I hate wrapping presents. I also have mine still to do. Dreading it. Will do some tonight when kids are in bed. Tbh you have reason not to wrap but the kids might expect them wrapped? Thats what makes me still wrap them sad I would wrap some, bag some. Get your dh to wrap them. Or do some yourself using your ironing board. Just sit on a comfy position with the ironing board adjusted to suit your height and stop when you feel uncomfortable.

expatinscotland Wed 23-Dec-15 12:55:39

Gift bags all the way. Fuck the wrapping.

QueenArseClangers Wed 23-Dec-15 12:58:13

Thanks for the replies.
Gift bags and tissue paper it is then! 😄
Older 2 kids are teens but they're away until tomorrow evening. They would've helped and have helped lots this past week, really proud of them too.
About my PIL autumn loooong backstory there...

It's funny how a tightly run ship can go tits up if a couple of things knock it off course. At least I've got the turkey. And alcohol. And painkillers. And a lovely family.

Merry Christmas! fgrin

carrielou2007 Wed 23-Dec-15 12:59:42

Another adding use the ironing board! I had an op two weeks ago and it really is such a help!!

OhBigHairyBollocks Wed 23-Dec-15 13:06:52

Gift bags all the way. The teens will understand and the younger ones won't even notice! Hope you feel better soon OP X

PurpleHairAndPearls Wed 23-Dec-15 13:06:55

What is this "ironing board" of which you speak?

grin

Flingingmelon Wed 23-Dec-15 13:07:44

What if you scrunched up all the paper, shoved it in a pillow case with the presents and then turned it into a lucky dip? If they have to take it in turns to dip in their bags it should eek out the suspense?

You'll still have to pick up all the mess mind you

thanksthanksthanks

BeanGirls Wed 23-Dec-15 13:19:14

Santa brings presents unwrapped to our house, always has done. Same when I was little.

MummySparkle Wed 23-Dec-15 17:15:26

Melon, picking up mess is a game in this house, who can collect the most wrapping paper back into the pillowcase?

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Wed 23-Dec-15 20:54:43

Pay the kids t wrap each other's. I used to love wrapping when I was younger.

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Wed 23-Dec-15 22:55:49

When I was at school, one of my friends parents (she was one of three) never wrapped any of the kids presents. Every year.

So not doing it one year is fine - you've got good reason.

Gift bags and tissue paper sounds lovely

PippaPug Thu 24-Dec-15 01:06:38

Tin foil?! It's silver so very festive ! X

QueenArseClangers Sat 26-Dec-15 13:34:18

Well we went with the gift bags and tissue paper plan and it was great! Did it all in an hour or so and drank far too much 😄

Hope you lovely folk are having a great christmas flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now