Talk

Advanced search

I should be made to feel guilty for moving 20 mins away?!

(10 Posts)
harboromummy Tue 22-Dec-15 20:49:33

Grrrrrrr!!!

Currently buying our first house, in the next big town. We can't wait, the kids are abit unsure and worried. They don't want to move but tbh, I think they will get over it soon enough.

My sister messaged me tonight saying I'm selfish because I'm taking the kids away when they don't want too (they are 7&6). And that she doesn't even know who I am anymore because I'm moving away!

I'm one bus journey away! She doesn't even walk to mine now and I'm a 20 min walk!!!

Iggi999 Tue 22-Dec-15 20:51:47

Well mine wouldn't want to move five minutes away as they'd hate to move schools, is that what is worrying them?
Is there a chance the neighbouring town is viewed as "better" and that's what is annoying your dsis?

Caboodle Tue 22-Dec-15 20:53:18

Yanbu. We moved in Jan...kids (10 / 8 / 4) made friends very quickly and now prefer it here. Kids cope better than we give them credit for. Is your sister encouraging the dcs to feel negatively about the move?

Krampus Tue 22-Dec-15 20:55:20

20 mins! That won't get me across the town I live in fgrin

She is having a bonkers moment.

lorelei9 Tue 22-Dec-15 20:55:58

How bizarre
Is there more to this, do you have a not great relationship with your sister?
I'd love it if my sis was twenty mins walk away, it's more like 1.5 hours for us.

Devilishpyjamas Tue 22-Dec-15 20:57:40

Hand your sister a grip!

Good luck with the move smile

Damselindestress Tue 22-Dec-15 21:34:29

She doesn't know who you are anymore because you are moving 20 minutes away? Sounds like you are better off getting away from her drama! I could understand a relative being a bit concerned about the disruption to your children but they will adjust and it's your decision to make for them as a parent. It might be different if they were teens going through exams but they are only young, of course they are unsure about change. Your sister is massively overreacting.

Rivercam Tue 22-Dec-15 21:41:30

We moved when our children were similar ages to you, 75 miles. The kids soon adapt to their new house, school etc. There may be some wobbly moments, but make it fun for them, and they'll be fine.

You sister is being a drama llama.

HicDraconis Tue 22-Dec-15 21:47:37

Your sister is overreacting. We moved to the other side of the world when the children were 18months and 3 and I assure you, our entire family still very much knows who we are! Your children will be fine, they're far more adaptable than people give them credit for. Make it fun and exciting, get them involved with choosing their room and some decorations in their new home, read up on their new school online with them, etc.

Bodicea Tue 22-Dec-15 21:55:43

As someone who has been shipped around the world as a kid I really don't get parents who pander to their children's wishes when it comes to moving. Of course they will say they don't want to leave their friends/school. But they will get over in in about two minutes. Kids are v adaptable. You are the grow ups. Do what is right for you. Your sister is bonkers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now