Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to be listed off about the laundry??

(12 Posts)
Squishyeyeballs Tue 22-Dec-15 18:50:10

Petty problem but it's driving me demented! I am a sahp and do most of the housework/cooking/cleaning, which I don't mind doing because dh is good with the kids and fixing stuff around the house etc. One of the very few housework tasks he does is the laundry. Not sure how it became his job, we used to do our own but then when the kids came along, he just sort of fell into it.

He is terrible at it. How the fuck can someone be doing laundry for 10 years and still be so shit at it??? angry Amongst his bigger offences are putting lights in with darks and ruining them (out of pure laziness to sort) and incinerating and shrinking everything in the dryer. He has done this umpteen times, mostly ruining my clothes or the kids clothes as his stuff is mainly heavy duty hard wearing stuff. He says sorry afterwards and offers to replace them, and he will stump up the cash if pressed, but it is me who has to go to the bother of going and buying the stuff again and I hate clothes shopping

We have had many arguments about it and following a big blow out a few months back (where, after literally standing behind him as he put stuff in and telling him not to put my yellow jeans in with the darks, I later found said jeans in the machine ruined), he did get a bit better and hasn't ruined anything since.

However, he is just incapable of getting the hang of it. No matter how much I explain to him. He dries clothes to the point of being rock hard and destroyed with wrinkles, so bad that even ironing won't help. He overloads the machine so that clothes are dry on the outside but still have big wet patches. He takes loads out while they are still damp and puts a new load on. Aaargh!

And it's not that I don't mind doing it myself. I do as much as I can and would plough through it fine if he just left it to me. I have banned him from using the washing machine numerous times and he will stay away for a week or so before creeping back in again.

Can't believe I'm asking this but is there a lock I can get for the washing machine?!?! Sorry for the super long laundry rant blush

TheWernethWife Tue 22-Dec-15 18:54:41

Save your sanity, put a chain and a padlock around the bloody thing and tell him to take his stuff to the nearest launderette.

BondJayneBond Tue 22-Dec-15 18:55:26

I did wonder if he was being deliberately rubbish to get out of it until I saw the bit about how you've banned him from using the washing machine and he still does it.

CigarsofthePharoahs Tue 22-Dec-15 18:57:13

Buy him his own laundry bin. He washes his own stuff, but isn't allowed to touch any other clothes.

Boomingmarvellous Tue 22-Dec-15 18:57:26

PMSL at this catalogue of disasters! I seriously didn't know you can get so many things wrong with laundry!

Is he doing it deliberately? Give him other jobs to do. Maybe ironing grin

foxessoxes Tue 22-Dec-15 18:57:49

Id do just do it for the sake of my sanity

which is what he is probably trying to achieve

Boomingmarvellous Tue 22-Dec-15 18:58:14

Emptying the bins?

Squishyeyeballs Tue 22-Dec-15 18:59:35

Yes I would have thought he was being deliberately rubbish but not so! He just has has some sort of washing machine addiction confused Thing is, I would do it all myself no bother and I would do it properly and would have no need to nag him, so it would be less hassle all around. I just cannot get over that after all this time he is still so terrible at it hmm

LeaLeander Tue 22-Dec-15 18:59:56

There must be a fuse you can take out and hide.

PoshPenny Tue 22-Dec-15 19:00:44

Can you not just do a load a day yourself of yours and the children's things whilst he's at work so there is nothing apart from his own stuff for him to wash and ruin?

LottieDoubtie Tue 22-Dec-15 19:04:08

You must be me OP (except i'm not a sahp). DH is banned from the washing because it so fucking annoying! But yet, every nown again he does it again...

He has other jobs which I don't interfere with...

CalmYoBadSelf Tue 22-Dec-15 19:04:28

My DH is the same. I can sort the washing into piles, leave the room for 10 seconds and he has combined piles and chucked them in on the wrong settings. My problem is the other way round though that he chucks it all in on 20 degrees so, not only does everything look grey due to vague colour mixing, I am not convinced it is clean and the machine then starts to smell musty

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now