Advanced search

To turn up at hospital with toothache? I can't cope with the pain anymore

(190 Posts)
VaticanAssassin Tue 22-Dec-15 18:14:36

I am booked in for an operation to remove 2 back teeth, which has to be done under GA because they need to cut into my gum and remove in pieces because they cracked while eating a while ago.
But the operation date is not til February and i can't cope with the pain anymore, physically and mentally losing my mind with it- I'm taking Tramadol, 30/500 Co-codamol, Ibuprofen, Aspirin and Naproxen and still having stabbing pains in my face, jaw and ear, throbbing in my gum, and blinding pain.
I haven't eaten in 5 days because I can't put any pressure in my mouth at all, so just having warm cup-a-soup, and warm water.

Taken a full course of antibiotics, but still in fucking agony and feel totally useless and depressed, I'm going to ruin my kids Xmas because I can't do anything but cry with pain. The thought I l'll have to stay like this for 2 months makes me want to die, I've never known pain like it. Total blinding pain that leaves me screaming and cold sweat down my back, my 3 births were nothing compared to it.
Do hospitals have dentists on call that can put you under and operate? Please help if you can, I feel like I'm cracking up with pain

OnlyHereForTheCamping Tue 22-Dec-15 18:15:53

This is horrific, can you call an out of hours service?

GreatFuckability Tue 22-Dec-15 18:16:39

I've been in your position. Its awful and you have my sympathy. If you're in that much pain and all those neds aren't helping you need to see someone.

P1nkP0ppy Tue 22-Dec-15 18:17:24

go to the hospital. I wouldn't usually say that but it sounds excruciating.
I do hope they're can help op.

femfortheday Tue 22-Dec-15 18:18:30

Can you call the emergency dentist? Or do you have a dental hospital nearby? I wouldn't blame you for going to A&E but I don't know if there is anything they can do, bar give you more pain killers?
So much sympathy, dental pain is horrendous.

Sameshitdiffname Tue 22-Dec-15 18:18:54

Do you have a dental hospital? Or an OOH dentist? If not ring 111 but A&E might be your only option I'm afraid.

llhj Tue 22-Dec-15 18:19:14

Oh my God sounds horrendous, poor you. Yes go to A and E.

UndramaticPause Tue 22-Dec-15 18:20:28

I was told that the maxillio-facial surgeons can help out in dire dental situations. Not sure how true that is.

Notrevealingmyidentity Tue 22-Dec-15 18:20:46

Thing is I don't think a and e can do much ? It would have to be dentist or emergency dental hospital I think ?

Or OOH for more painkillers ?

Chippednailvarnish Tue 22-Dec-15 18:22:00

If you are near London the Eastman dental hospital have a walk in clinic...

VaticanAssassin Tue 22-Dec-15 18:23:17

Undramatic I can't be seen at the Maxilofacial clinic until the end of January, it's 40 miles from my home town and that's the nearest one, I have to do that before the surgery they said.

Haggisfish Tue 22-Dec-15 18:23:42

Waves of sympathy. Emergency dentist hospital?

Nikkinoo77 Tue 22-Dec-15 18:24:34

I've been to A and E with toothache, they gave me the tablets you're already on.
The following night, still in agony I saw out of hours Dr who gave me oramorph.
I sympathise entirely. Those were the worst few days of my life and I've had major surgery.

Katinkka Tue 22-Dec-15 18:25:16

Go to casualty. I have when in extreme pain. The Doctor was really nice and gave me some better painkillers till I could get to the dentist.

Gliblet Tue 22-Dec-15 18:25:50

Some dentists do an emergency service - have a google for one in your area but if you can't find one, it's absolutely fair enough to turn up at A&E for help with pain relief.

LIZS Tue 22-Dec-15 18:27:21

Who referred you? Do they have ooh service, or can you call the max fac clinic in the morning and ask if there is an emergency system?

Curlywurly4 Tue 22-Dec-15 18:29:44

Go to the emergency dentist if you can. A&E will be able to help manage the pain, so worth a trip. Tooth ache is bloody awful thanks

UndramaticPause Tue 22-Dec-15 18:30:47

Balls. I echo trying to find a dental hospital.

I've been to a&e with uncontrolled pain and was given diazepam, oramorph and gas and air. So there are still options for you.

EponasWildDaughter Tue 22-Dec-15 18:31:01

Just sending best wishes flowers

Been in awful 'sitting rocking on the side of the bed' pain with infected sinus', and you have my total my total total sympathy.

I hope you find someone to help you tonight.

Boomingmarvellous Tue 22-Dec-15 18:34:03

A&e is a waste of time. You're on the maximum amount of painkillers available and also had antibiotics. I would call the dentist tomorrow maybe he can give you oromorph, (liquid morphine) but it would be very short term if at all.

Honestly it's just not on to leave you sufferings like this. I'd go back and beg. I suppose it's because you need and general anaesthetic? If you could bear local anaesthesia I would ask for that. I'd even go private.

laughingatweather Tue 22-Dec-15 18:34:59

Don't go to A and E, it's neither an accident nor an emergency and they won't be able to do anything.

And I have huge amounts of sympathy because I've been there. I'd be very surprised you require a GA? It's common for wisdom teeth to need to be cut before removal but I think you mean under IV sedation?. A general anaesthetic is very different but IV sedation is reasonably common in complex dental surgery (have had it, it was fine).

It's not an A and E case but it IS a dental emergency and you obviously have a dentist so you call them in the morning and tell them you need to see a dentist as a matter of urgency. That you are in constant pain and can't wait till Feb.

Tell them that at the very least you need to be seen and better analgesics prescribed.

UndramaticPause Tue 22-Dec-15 18:36:07

Do maxillio-facial not have on call doctors who they could call down to assess op if she rocked up to a&e?

She isn't on the maximum medication by any stretch, there are other options depending on the type of pain it is or so gabapentin for nerve pain or morphine patches or Diclofenac or diazepam...

Wolpertinger Tue 22-Dec-15 18:37:44

A+E are not dentists. Some hospitals will have on call max fac in case of things like road traffic accidents - but sounds like your nearest is the one 40 miles away. Hospitals don't have on call normal dentists.

If you can't eat you need emergency dentist and see what they suggest. Or try the hospital you are booked to see max fac at. Poor you sad

ChatShitGetBanged Tue 22-Dec-15 18:38:10

oh op this sounds horrific

they should do something sooner fgs

Alicewasinwonderland Tue 22-Dec-15 18:40:40

it's amazing you lasted so long without going to hospital.

You can try this link

and/or go direct A&E. Even the NHS website advise to go to hospital for excruciating pain. Good luck, I hope they drug you asap!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: