Talk

Advanced search

Reported driver

(19 Posts)
PebbleTTC Tue 22-Dec-15 17:22:57

Hi, i had a bit of an incident today with another driver, he was really aggressive and he got out of the car at the traffic lights and he started shouting at me through the window. I went to police and I thought I had recorded his number plate but I must have gotten it wrong as what I remember doesn't exist.

Any ideas on how I can try remember this number plate?

I saw it in my rear view mirror so I tried typing what I saw and looking at it in a mirror but that didn't help.

wasonthelist Tue 22-Dec-15 17:47:06

Number plates have a limited set of possible formats, but unfortunately it depends on what you did - if you missed out a letter or number, it's going to be hard to interpret.

Also if he's one of those tossers who rearranges the letters/numbers (quite a few on my school run) it makes them trickier to decipher into the "real" plate.

If you know the car make and can figure out the number you can check it exists using the DVLA checker.

wasonthelist Tue 22-Dec-15 17:49:07

What form is the number you have?

eg-

LLNN LLL where L=Letter and N=Numbers would be the most common form for recent registrations.

Enjolrass Tue 22-Dec-15 17:50:59

Any chance there were cameras at the lights?

DrivingMissLazy1 Tue 22-Dec-15 17:53:36

I can't really see why it matters. What will the police do anyway? It's your word against his unless there are any independent witnesses and, even if there are, he's shouted at you not assaulted you or caused any damage.

SlaggyIsland Tue 22-Dec-15 17:57:35

And this is why everyone should have dashcams fitted.

hefzi Tue 22-Dec-15 18:01:40

What happened to make him get out of his car and shout at you? If there was nothing leading up to this, YANBU to have reported him, and the police might be able to check the cameras at the lights (if there are any).

wasonthelist Tue 22-Dec-15 18:03:05

Police had a chat with a local who threatened me after (he) lost control and crashed into my van when he driving way too fast (as he did at all times). There was no visible damage to my van (he hit the bumper and smashed his light) and it was my word against his, but having a visit from the Police stopped him doing it again. This was before we spent all the Country's money on Banks though.

Merguez Tue 22-Dec-15 18:18:13

If it happens again try & take a photo of the numberplate with your phone.

Quicker & more accurate!

lorelei9 Tue 22-Dec-15 18:23:31

any 0s that should be O or 1 that should be I?

sorry this happened to you

NeedsAsockamnesty Tue 22-Dec-15 18:29:16

I can't really see why it matters. What will the police do anyway? It's your word against his unless there are any independent witnesses and, even if there are, he's shouted at you not assaulted you or caused any damage

It sounds like he could have assaulted her.mhe got out of his car shouting one could assume that was agressive and frightening. In the UK assault means to make someone apprehend unlawful violence, it does not mean to perpetrate violence

TheFairyCaravan Tue 22-Dec-15 18:31:48

I'm sorry this happened to you Pebble. Unfortunately I don't have any tips to help.

DrivingMissLazy a driver cut me up on a roundabout, almost taking the front out of my car. I sounded my horn to make him aware I was there and he pulled right infront, stopped and got out of his van. He was banging on my window, trying to get in the door (thank god for automatic locking) and shouting and threatening me. Both DC were in the car, and crying. I was scared witless. I reported him to the police and it went to court. He pleaded not guilty, then changed his plea a couple of days before so I didn't have to go. He was fined heavily. I can't remember the ex at charge because it was 11 or 12 years ago, but the police took it very seriously.

hefzi Tue 22-Dec-15 18:54:17

I saw a pedestrian verbally attack a driver today - he was parking, and she walked off the pavement into his car: she hammered on the roof and then on his door, and when he got out, she started screaming at him. She insisted on his insurance details - presumably, where there's blame, there's a claim hmm - though what story she's going to put forward I have no idea. Anyway, I gave him my details - he did nothing wrong, and she was the one who wasn't looking where she was going and walked into his car. I think people are half-witted at the best of times, but Christmas seems to bring out the worst in some road users.

PebbleTTC Tue 22-Dec-15 19:38:31

I'm actually based in Ireland so our number plates start with the year car registered, the letter from county it's registered and then numbers. I thought I had it taken down right but Iv tried various combinations. I had my baby in the car with me and he was very intimidating the reason I went to police was so they could either talk to him or press charges about dangerous driving.

The story behind it is that he was driving really really close behind me and there was a queue of traffic in front of me and I was over taking so wasn't going to pull over. He then tried to undertake me but I was pulling in to slow Lane anyway because I was taking that exit. He then pulled back in to overtaking Lane and pulled up along side me with his passenger staring in at me. He then pulled back in front of me and slammed on the breaks so I pulled back out to over taking lane to avoid a collision. It was after this then we both went in same direction and when we came to traffic lights he got out

PebbleTTC Tue 22-Dec-15 19:42:29

There are cameras at the exit so I'm hoping the police will look in to it but I'm sure they have better things to be doing so it's ok if they don't.

My husband just ordered me a dash camera!

wasonthelist Wed 23-Dec-15 00:25:29

Sorry for the UK centric assumption op, I am a frequent visitor to Ireland, and having quizzed taxi drivers to feed my anoraxia, have a little more knowledge than I had about Irish plates. Good luck.

Leelu6 Wed 23-Dec-15 07:51:27

So was there an actual collision or just dangerous driving?

He sounds like a twat.

PebbleTTC Wed 23-Dec-15 10:04:43

Dangerous driving, no collision. The only thing that might have annoyed him was me stopping him undertaking me but I had to get in to that Lane to take the exit. He was very intimidating I was very shaken after it

ComposHatComesBack Wed 23-Dec-15 11:37:49

You have my sympathy op I had a similar experience with a taxi driver in Liverpool (he pulled out of a parking bay without looking and nearly took my front bumper off and then decided to do the he-man act) and wished I'd reported him.

However with a half remembered registration plate , there's not a lot else you can do other than pray he tries the road rage routine with the wrong person and get a boot shoved so far up his arse his mates will think Doc Martens have started making hats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now