Talk

Advanced search

Help I have the plumber from hell in my kitchen!

(26 Posts)
BlackEyed Tue 22-Dec-15 16:59:14

What do I do?

Booked a plumber to come and install my dishwasher. Should have been alarmed when he started making holes in the kitchen unit using a screwdriver and hammer rather than a saw but thought that might be normal.

He's now managed to break a pipe meaning water was pouring everywhere. Cue more holes in the unit to access the broken pipe. Pipe now fixed (we think) but now discovered the part is incorrect hence breaking the pipe so he's looking in his van for a different part now.

What do I do? I'd tell him to sod off but currently my sink and washing machine are unusable due to his mistake so I need it fixed!

Shockers Tue 22-Dec-15 17:03:09

I don't know, but didn't want to read and not reply!
I'd be tempted to ask him to leave; take some photographs, and get a different plumber to fix it.

Kittykatmacbill Tue 22-Dec-15 17:03:39

Had similar, with a bathroom fitting. After 3 days we asked him to stop (he brought down the ceiling in our downstairs loo...). Found another plumber and he fixed everything and was generally great! I learnt after that and never use a tradesman without a recommendation... Sorry, it's utterly awful isn't it? fsad
Not much help...

BlackEyed Tue 22-Dec-15 17:20:15

He's back! Turns out the part he was using was too big and forcing it on is what broke the pipe and led to all the subsequent holes in the unit. He's now found a smaller one, ffs! He's just showed me and the old piece he was using was CLEARLY too big!

BlackEyed Tue 22-Dec-15 17:25:01

So new part fits, broken pipe reconnected and he's now checking it's all watertight before actually connecting dishwasher. However I've got 4 massive holes in the side of the unit (can't be seen with dishwasher in place and cupboard door closed). Do I pay him?

WhoseBadgerIsThis Tue 22-Dec-15 17:27:02

He should pay to fix the damage he caused

DoreenLethal Tue 22-Dec-15 17:27:57

Not until he repairs the damage. What the fuck!

Donge13 Tue 22-Dec-15 17:28:04

A token £10 is all he would get from me

JE1234 Tue 22-Dec-15 17:28:26

Ask him to invoice you for payment to gain some time, it also means you don't have a confrontation. I would mention now about the holes so it doesn't come as a surprise that it is what you are unhappy about. He should really fix them or replace the damaged panel of at all possible?

Arfarfanarf Tue 22-Dec-15 17:29:39

Yes but you say that he has to repair the unit.
Open the door, point to the holes and tell him that obviously he needs to repair the damage he has caused.
Now.

FriendofBill Tue 22-Dec-15 17:31:09

Ask him to invoice you but tell him you will also be invoicing him for the damage.
Photograph.
Witness if possible?

NoSquirrels Tue 22-Dec-15 17:32:29

Aboslutely do not pay if you are not happy.

Give him a token amount, ask to be invoiced, explain you are not happy about his workmanship.

Do not be intimidated. It is much much harder to get any money back once you have paid than it is to sort the dispute reasonably if you haven't paid. voice of bitter experience

BlackEyed Tue 22-Dec-15 18:07:22

Ok I highlighted the damage and said I wasn't happy. He said that I had agreed he could make a hole in the unit which I did as the kitchen was flooding from a pipe behind the unit that HE broke!

If he had used the right part in the first place he would have only needed to make one small hole to take the waste pipe through. However I have ended up with much more in order to access the broken pipe.

I asked him what he felt about payment as I wanted the holes dealt with. He wasn't happy saying he had spent £25 on parts alone.

I agreed to give him the £25 for the parts that are being used but that I would not pay him for the actual work as I would be using that to pay for the repairs.

Does that sound fair? He wasn't happy at all. He has spent 4 hours working at it but that was because of his mistake.

Crusoe Tue 22-Dec-15 18:15:19

At least he hasn't come on to you like our plumber did! Horribly embarrassing

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 22-Dec-15 18:17:30

I wouldn't have paid him anything apart from what you agreed to have the dishwasher fitted. Any repairs he needs to make to pipe that he broke you're not responsible for paying for.

NoSquirrels Tue 22-Dec-15 18:17:43

Installing a dishwasher is not usually a complex job, so I think it's fair enough that it shouldn't have taken anything like 4 hours, and he has left you with damage you need to fix, so paying for the parts only sounds reasonable. I might have paid a bit more towards his initial time (before he messed it all up), but only if he'd been reasonable about what he was intending to charge anyway...

BlackEyed Tue 22-Dec-15 18:28:26

The original quote was £60 so I retained £35. It's going to cost more than that to fix the unit however as it needs a whole new side on it, on further inspection he has partially pulled it off the wall also so the top needs resecuring and the sealant round the tiles redoing.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 22-Dec-15 18:30:47

Sounds fair to me. Did he think you should pay for the four hour repair? Or just the £65 you agreed on.

BlackEyed Tue 22-Dec-15 18:37:17

Well when we discussed payment he started with "I know I quoted £60" so think he was going to ask for more but I cut him off with "yes that was before you damaged my kitchen unit".

It's done now anyway and he's gone. And on a plus note I now have a dishwasher so can sit down and not have to do tea dishes!

EponasWildDaughter Tue 22-Dec-15 18:40:47

I think you did the right thing OP. And well done, this sort of thing can be so awkward.

So ... ahem, where abouts are you OP? Roughly?

i need a plumber and i don't want to call this one!

BahHumbugs Tue 22-Dec-15 19:58:21

Oh god, I have been looking up people to do this for me, only today, as I intend to get a dishwasher next week, I was looking at local kitchen fitters, as I presumed its their speciality, to integrate it, do I need a plumber?

Good for you OP for being firm, its a horrible situation.

flatbellyfella Tue 22-Dec-15 20:27:41

I am trying to get recommendations for Kitchen & Bathroom fitters, it's not an easy job, my neighbours have had several jobs done by a very poor selection of so called builders. A quoted one week loft room conversion, has been a messy three weeks & still not finished.

HelenaDove Tue 22-Dec-15 22:09:18

Ask him if hes got public liability insurance and contractors risk all insurance. The look on his face will tell you all you need to know.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Wed 23-Dec-15 00:17:45

^This. Tradesmen don't cross our threshold without a copy of the policy. Bitter experience, and dearly bought.

BlackEyed Wed 23-Dec-15 01:23:00

Mine wasn't integrated, I needed a plumber to fit the waste pipe. If you need yours building into the unit you may be best with a kitchen fitter.

Helpful advice for the future about insurance. This guy came recommend and was from an actual company rather than some bloke advertising on Facebook so thought he would be ok. Lesson learnt!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now