should I just be pleased the parcel arrived or AIBU?

(81 Posts)
Bitchyboo Tue 22-Dec-15 16:33:25

A courier delivered a parcel to my address when I was not at home. I have not given any details of 'leave with neighbour if not in, or 'safe place' or anything. He/she put note through door saying 'parcel left in meter box'. He unlocked my leccy meter box with his own key and put parcel in!! Bit miffed I am.

DoreenLethal Tue 22-Dec-15 16:34:34

So you have it and it is safe? What exactly are you miffed about?

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Tue 22-Dec-15 16:39:59

I think that's pretty clever, ours have a habit of leaving them in the wheelie bin.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Tue 22-Dec-15 16:40:53

I think he did a good job, be pleased your parcel is with you.

thelaundryfairy Tue 22-Dec-15 16:41:29

I would be delighted. The courier used his common sense and your parcel is safe and, best of all, you don´t have to go and collect it from the post office two days before Christmas.

BeanGirls Tue 22-Dec-15 16:41:33

I'd be delighted personally

BanningTheWordNaice Tue 22-Dec-15 16:41:41

Please for the love of god do not complain about someone doing something intuitive and leaving a parcel somewhere safe and dry.

BrandNewAndImproved Tue 22-Dec-15 16:42:17

What a good idea!

TuckingFablet Tue 22-Dec-15 16:42:53

Better there than the wheelybin or recycling bin with no note the day before bin day!

Fluffy24 Tue 22-Dec-15 16:44:50

That's a brilliant idea, I'd thank him very much - he could have taken it back and you'd risk not having it for Xmas or having to trek to a depot to collect it.

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 22-Dec-15 16:45:03

These guys have some job at the moment - trying to make sure that everyone gets their stuff in time for Christmas. They also have lives and families and stuff to organise for Christmas while half the country (including myself) are ordering Christmas on-line while working full time and not being in.

I am generally fine that they use their initiative and put the parcel somewhere appropriate.

MrsRonBurgundy Tue 22-Dec-15 16:45:33

How could you be miffed at that?!

CallieTorres Tue 22-Dec-15 16:45:49

i'd be pleased, you have it - its safe, and i dont see a problem

slicedfinger Tue 22-Dec-15 16:45:50

I had a package left in my carboard recycling last week - under the cardboard, and no card through the door. I only found it when I tried to squash the rubbishy down and it wouldn't go.

I think a locked cupboard and a note is ace.

Pyjamaramadrama Tue 22-Dec-15 16:46:17

I'd be really happy.

Delivery drivers can't win.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 22-Dec-15 16:48:55

That's quite inspired imo! Could have been the bin, out in the rain, back to depot......

I have had 2 parcels go awol this year, Amazon logistics are absolute shite! I'd be happy with a sensibly placed parcel and a note telling me where it is!

bigfam Tue 22-Dec-15 16:53:30

I'd like to thank everyone on this thread, I'll be showing it to my dad. He works 60+ hours a week and is in his 50's, sometimes working til as late as 9pm. I often have to cheer him up when a customer complains and is rude show I can show him some people really do appreciate how hard postmen work. Merry Christmas fgrin

Inertia Tue 22-Dec-15 16:53:31

Sounds entirely sensible to me!

Gliblet Tue 22-Dec-15 16:53:42

I'd be delighted at that - I have had:

A £50 pair of boots left on the doorstep, on the street, with labels showing exactly what was inside and the value (saved by a neighbour)

A glass tank lobbed over the back fence (came home to a boxful of shattered glass)

A box of books left in a hedge in the pissing rain for a week (no card left anywhere)

Two bottles of wine and a large bouquet of flowers, again, lobbed over the back fence. Ruined.

Gliblet Tue 22-Dec-15 16:55:05

For bigfam - hasten to add those were all couriers, our postie was lovely 😊

OnlyLovers Tue 22-Dec-15 16:55:25

I think that's ingenious!

My postman, who's great, and the most cheerful individual I know, usually opts for the recycling tub, artfully/casually propped against the door.

londonrach Tue 22-Dec-15 16:56:57

What a good idea. You lucky to have your delivery guy.

bigfam Tue 22-Dec-15 16:57:15

Gliblet thank you. He'll love this thread. It will make his day

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 22-Dec-15 17:04:03

I was working at home today and saw a van outside my "over the road" neighbours and she clearly wasn't in, so I shouted over that i'd take it and he was fine with that but then explained that he'd also delivered something earlier to her but the package he had now matched the number of what he had her signature against from the morning. he didn't know if she's had two thing or if he'd put the parcel in the wrong house...

Anyway, we sorted out that if it was for someone else in the street we'd sort it out but I took his number in case it was for somewhere else entirely. Poor guy looked so stressed and was really relieved. Anyway it was all for naught as neighbour pulled up and the earlier parcel had been hers too.

Feel sorry for them at the moment - and all the guys seating their bums off in the sorting facilities

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 22-Dec-15 17:16:59

We had a parcel half jammed in the letter box [spotted by a neighbour] which was then removed and stolen by some dickhead. I'd be giving your delivery guy a medal assuming you actually have your own key for the meter box?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now