Talk

Advanced search

To feel annoyed about this?

(12 Posts)
raisin3cookies Tue 22-Dec-15 16:04:14

About 6 weeks ago, my mom impulsively bought me a dress from eBay that I mentioned I liked.

I was very grateful, shocked at her generosity and excited to receive it!

Unfortunately, she put my old address (from 5 years ago) on the order so I've never received it.

It is, apparently, waiting to be collected from a sorting office about an hour away.

The entire issue of collecting the parcel has now fallen into my lap, and she wants me to drive down on the off chance they will let me have it without the red card (I do have the delivery number on the card, however, given to me by the eBay seller).

I think this a giant waste of my time and am seriously wishing she'd never bought the dress. Ugh. She lives far away so can't do anything apart from complain to the eBay seller (why? Her fault...) and expect me to sort it.

Surely the parcel will eventually be returned to sender and she will get a refund. I don't want to deal with her mistake anymore.

Alternatively, is it possible to collect a parcel without the red card??

PurpleDaisies Tue 22-Dec-15 16:05:50

Going on my local post office they absolutely will not give you a parcel without a red card. Could you arrange a delivery to your local post office? I think there's a fee but not much at all.

CFSsucks Tue 22-Dec-15 16:07:26

You have to have proof of id anyway with your address on so you can't pick it up even if you have the red card.

We had an issue when I ordered something, put my new address and it somehow defaulted to my old address. I never got it and I think it ended up going back, it wasn't Royal Mail though. Can you phone that sorting office and ask them what their advice is? Pointless you driving all that way for nothing.

raisin3cookies Tue 22-Dec-15 16:07:50

I did try, but they will only deliver locally and I have no friends in that town anymore.

witsender Tue 22-Dec-15 16:09:27

Could you get the red card from old house then go to sorting office?

raisin3cookies Tue 22-Dec-15 16:12:12

Tried to phone the sorting office today, but no humans are available to speak direct.

I thought about trying the current people for the red card, but I think it's been too long by now. I can barely keep track of a red card for my own parcels, let alone some stranger's.

knobblyknee Tue 22-Dec-15 16:13:08

She needs to contact the Ebay seller, explain her mistake, and pay to have it forwarded to you.
If she wants to be reasonable she'll do that, if not she'll carry on blaming everyone else for her error and making a huge scene about how she tried to do this lovely thing for you and everyone was so ungrateful.
(Or is that why she is doing this?)

raisin3cookies Tue 22-Dec-15 16:17:34

Oh, I think she's just generally impulsive and scatty. She doesn't want to deal with the fallout of her impulsivity so has askede to do it.

The hilarious thing is that we are moving house next week so even if the parcel was forwarded on to me, it would be the wrong address again...

woodwaj Tue 22-Dec-15 16:18:55

I'd probably buy the dress myself and tell her I'd collected it. Its much less hassle

Itscliffmas Tue 22-Dec-15 16:21:35

I have collected stuff without the card before but you may have an issue if your ID does not match the address.

I think you only have 14 days to collect though.

raisin3cookies Tue 22-Dec-15 16:30:20

I have sent aessage to the eBay seller but that's as much as I'm willing to do at this point. I can imagine the looks I'd get if I appeared at the sorting office this week asking for leniency!

I would buy the dress myself, but it was one of those end-of-line clothing sellers and they only had the one!

SistersOfPercy Tue 22-Dec-15 16:53:27

Debit card in your name is an acceptable form of ID to collect the parcel, however they will more than likely ask for the card.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now